Replacement Vauxhall Corsa car key

Hi

I've bought an 03 reg corsa second hand this week in a private sale. The owner only had one key which I thought would be fine. However literally 2 days later I have managed to lose the key! It has fallen out of my pocket somewhere in Manchester so its gone for good. I literally have no idea what to do about getting a replacement, I assume the car has an imoboliser, alarm etc Do I need to contact Vauxhall directly to see about getting a replacement or can a local locksmith sort it out for me? Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Vauxhalls of that era came with a credit card sized info card with the security code to program new keys to the immobiliser.
    A dealer should be able to order new keys based on that and the chassis number, so you shouldn't need new locks hopefully.
    The bad news is they need the car there to programme the keys, but it may be possible to get a mobile key service to come out to the car for you.
    You may have difficulty proving the car is yours though, if you have just bought it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    cheers i have the temp registration document which hopefully will do. I will phone around tomorrow some mobile locksmiths and see what they say. Its going to be expensive this :-(
  • Any Vauxhall dealer can obtain a new key but it won't be cheap. The blade part of the key will be about £35ish, the electronic fob £30ish, car pass(for immobiliser code) about £25 and a charge of about £40 to programme the new key. You could save a bit (roughly the cost of the fob) by having just a basic key and unlocking the doors manually. Most main dealers will require the car to be on site to carry out the programming. Few dealers cut keys on site but tend to order them from Vauxhall which takes a couple of days.

Add up the total of the above and then get a quote from a mobile auto locksmith and decide which route you want to go down.

Bear in mind that if you order a key and car pass from a dealer they will usually require payment in advance as these items are specific to your vehicle, so there will be no refund if you change your mind after placing the order.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Thanks guys, however good news in that the key may have been handed into a bar in Manc, i am off to check. This scare has made me certain that I am going to get a spare key next week for the car! It may cost a bit of cash but i don't want to go through this worry again!
  • ive lost my corsa keys the key has a chip in it to activate the ECU for the car to run where do i get a new key for my corsa contact number ? thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure