PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread for Tuesday 3rd May

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, I have slept well and am just having a quick catch up before heading off to work. Need to get washing on the line too.
    Last night's dinner was sausages and bubble and squeak, made from leftover veg plus a bit of mashed potato, inexpensive and tasted good but a bit heavy on fat and carbs.
    I am in for a hefty week at work, I think, I enjoy most of what I do, nobody can enjoy every little bit. But I am tired and with the retirement of my old friend, am the oldest not only in my team but in our service. And am feeling it! Still, needs must. So I will gird my loins and get going in a minute. The office will be quiet for an hour or so, those of us who go in early to get on while it is quiet tend to say good morning but then not interrupt each other, we are all there for the same reason, getting a jump on the day.

I hope you all have a good day, Speky, will think of you this morning. Judi, hope things are easier, and for those with family difficulties, I hope things are not hard today.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2016 at 6:00AM
    Options
    Morning all

Hugs to Judi, nmlc, Elona, the TA's and the Candlelights and especially Pollyanna.
    Good luck Speky, AOD, I'm the oldest staff member at work too, by about 7 years.

My DD was recently diagnosed as Bipolar, this is why I help get the children ready, it's not easy as DD can be very resistant to help. One person said to me 'I spoke to her last week, she didn't sound Bipolar to me' this from an admin worker at school, so I'm not sure why she is qualified. Another person said 'Your DD needs to pull herself together' How incredibly helpful was that. I have a friend with a Bipolar sister who self medicates with alcohol, I'm just grateful I'm not dealing with that too. Sorry for the rant, but some time people's stupidity really gets to me.

I've fed the fish, hung out a load of washing and taken hubby a cuppa.

My lodger went home just after 3, she was so delighted to see her family again, they bought us a big bar of chocolate and a bottle of Bison Grass Polish Vodka as a thank you, hic.

I have listed stuff on Gumtree and FB, and I have a box to take to the CS, I'm also providing some raffle prizes for a fund raising event. I'm aiming to shift at least 100 items a week from the house to get ready to move.

Time I made a move.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Sorry you are having family problems Polly and Judi, hope things improve for you.
    HH - That's a lot of things to get out of your house, good luck!

Got back home about 8 last night after a busy weekend. Stayed at my Aunt's, she celebrates her 80th birthday on Thursday so we went for a lovely meal and took her to see her 89 year old brother, he doesn't really know who we all are but is still charming and enjoyed the cake! Enjoyed seeing my 'good cousin' and her DH too, they have moved to a lovely new flat. Dropped Aunt off in Preston at her sons on the way home.

'Bad cousin' left her dog with Aunt so I did plenty of walking to save her going out with it - lovely dog but it is quite big and barks a lot - like a spoilt child not getting attention!

Back to work, bit of a disjointed week as we have an in service day on Thursday for the election.

Have a good week everyone, good luck Speky! Take care. XX
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Meanmarie, we've been told by the Twins association that they need to be able to assume separate identities and therefore shouldn't be referred to as 'the twins'.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone

HH - thanks for starting us off, I understand fully your point about people's stupidity, I encounter a lot of that in my job x

Hugs to those that need/want them, Polly, Judi and Good Luck Speky x

Happy Birthday to all those with a birthday x DS2's birthday today, and first day of his GCSE's - good luck to all those taking exams x

Now light, bright blue sky and sunshine, no frost and we're supposed to be getting some warmer drier weather this week, we'll see.

Lunch yesterday was cross between breakfast and lunch so was a brunch of egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, and beans, toast/bread and butter. Dinner last night was chicken en croute, which were lovely and I served noodles with mushrooms and peppers in oyster and chow mein sauce, all eaten and enjoyed, bit of a strange combo! DH's request. Tonight will be an easy fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, then birthday cake.

Just as DH and I were getting ready to leave for the hospital yesterday his mother and father turned up. They brought DS2's birthday card, she hardly said a word to me and didn't really speak to DH at all, obviously didn't really want to be here and was snooping around I was upstairs in my bathroom when DH came in and knocked on the door to say they were here, by the time I'd finished and had come into my bedroom, DS2 had come into our bedroom as he's having worries about the exam today, I was reassuring him etc and she just walked upstairs and starting looking in the bedrooms. I don't know if DH had said for her to go up to look at DS2's bedroom as that's the one that we decorated over the Easter hols, but I didn't react and just did what I needed to with DS2, then went downstairs. DH's father had bought me seed potatoes but we have loads so didn't need them. Also he hasn't got any tomatoes so will give him some of our plants shortly. He was reasonably chatty but it was all a bit false and they didn't stay many minutes at all, they were all dressed up, so she said to FIL come on lets go we need to get something to eat, so DH says have you been out? She replies "we've just been to see ill person" and that was it, no "there's no change they're keeping comfortable". She so obviously did not want to be here. At least DS2's birthday won't be spoilt by them turning up and being obnoxious or starting any trouble, as they've been they won't come back today. My parents visited last night too.

Ill person was in good form yesterday, there was several of us there for a while and ill person was busy telling people off, (not nastily) and we were generally talking and laughing, when then left after a couple of hours as ill person's immediate family arrived. When I gave ill person a hug and to say goodbye, ill person said it had been the best visit with us all there, just so hoping there's not a downward turn today, as DS2 would be really upset if ill person passed way on his birthday. DS2 will be very upset when it happens but just hoping it won't be today.

Back to work today, expecting it to be a bit manic, 1st of the month and we've been shut for the Bank holiday although we were open on Saturday, and were quite busy, we'll see, I'd like the day to go quickly as I need to get home to finish off DS2's birthday cake I made yesterday I need to put the filling in and decorate it.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,677 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all. What a lovely start we are having and it's supposed to keep like this all day. About time! I hope all of you with heartless relatives have a better day today. CAMELOT I'm glad you didn't have to meet up with the nasty cousin this time. What is wrong with people these days, I'm sure it wasn't like this in the old days when everyone looked out for each other. (Or have I got my rose coloured specs on?!)

Mr TA has his fortnightly bloods today for the Royal Liverpool. I'll ring them when he gets back and then they know to chase the results up. He will be due his three monthly radionuclide therapy this month so we will get a date for that at the same time.

I thought my get up and go might return with the better weather but it doesn't seem to be doing. These days everything seems an effort - or am I just a clapped out old bu**er stupidly expecting to still feel 21?!

I got my new birdfeeders (with incorporated waste tray) yesterday from Jollyes. So will swap all those over today and hope they minimise the mess. (I'll take the old ones to the caravan as we spend a fortune feeding all the birds over there too!)

HESTER a friend of DD has been bipolar since her late teens (now in her 40's) and I feel for you. She has been a constant worry to her parents all these years. On her dark days she just shuts herself away and will speak to no-one. On her better days she is hyper. It's a terrible illness affecting both the sufferer and family & friends.

Have a good day all and enjoy the Spring weather that has finally arrived. Take care and (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed xx Good luck SPEKY!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Glorious sunshine, calm sea, what more can you want?!
    Day off today. Something on for the rest of the week.
    Need to plant the beans today. Wanted OH to clean the greenhouse yesterday, but too rotten weather, he says he will do it this week.

Steak for dinner today. Got a really good deal from muscle food this week.

Bought hanging baskets from MOrrison yesterday, they were only £5 each couldn't be bothered to make them!:T

Had a result yesterday. Sold the Condici outfit that I had bought On EBay for DS wedding. I paid £45 for it. Started it at £30. Had 16 bids, sold it for £53! Money back and made a profit! :T:rotfl:

Have a good day all!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all, glorious down here in Kent at present. Off to have a ride on the train near Romney Marsh today for a cousins birthday day out, picnic being taken and dinner out with a money off voucher.

Due for a few days of sun, can't beat the UK in good weather can you. Hope this will make our veggies grow well on the allotment.

My thoughts are with those who have problems, family and otherwise.
    Carolbee
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Lovely bright day here so will probably be busy at work, I am working with my least favourite person this week who despite being there a year still seems to be unable to do the most simple of tasks, its going to be a long week !

Salmon for tea with new potatoes and some corn on the cob from the freezer, dd will have veggie option.

Need to have a sweep round tonight and the dw will need emptying, will put it on in a while before I go to work.

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

It's lovely and bright here, bit windy still but at least we have bits of blue sky. Last night I was woken by thunder and lightning - twice.

After a day of inertia yesterday today I must be more active and productive. There's stuff to go to the tip and I'll do a circuit of the town just for exercise.

TA - the spring will come back into your step soon, it's been a drag since winter but one day you'll feel better suddenly.

So many if you have nasty / difficult family members popping up to spoil your days. I'm not sure how I'd deal with it / them and it all seems so unnecessary.

Food is going to be yogurt and berries for brekkie and there's half a large steak with veggies for later. After a couple of weeks of being weak I'm back on track - again!

There's phone calls and emails to get done.

Happy Tuesday everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport