PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Evening all, I've been doing lots of nodding at the carp found in soil - as an archaeologist you find a depressingly huge amount of rubbish, mostly from 1850 on. I got incredibly tired of print transfer ceramics

I have an all day appt at the hospital TIA/stroke clinic tomorrow. Not hugely looking forward but the uncertainty is much much worse. I'm back to being awake for about 8 hours a day, with a long sleep day and night. 3 of my last four meals have been brought to me by friends and family.

As I'm spending more time in bed, the room wasn't feeling joyful and serene enough - so I've rearranged where my boots and shoes live. Getting rid of a pair of heels and snow boots. Offered up my high heels to the friend taking the lower pair, but she doesn't wear higher ones. In all honesty, there are the ones I would rather keep so here they stay atm. So that is 2 pairs of shoes and a hanging shoe organiser out :)

Oh! My Shepherd of Sweden boots arrived, they are gorgeous and so very comfortable. The translated care booklet days to spray them with 'an impregnation spray before first use' - I understand the concept, but the wording is hilarious. Any ideas of key words I can search? Not risking searching impregnation spray! :eek:
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    dragonette wrote: »
    Evening all, I've been doing lots of nodding at the carp found in soil - as an archaeologist you find a depressingly huge amount of rubbish, mostly from 1850 on. I got incredibly tired of print transfer ceramics.
    :) I am so glad to read this, because I collect all non-organic material inc bits of pottery, out of the soil, and imagined that I was denying some future archeologist a chance to say to her pupils; this is a classic example of mid-twentieth century domestic ware.

I shall de-kipple them now with a clear heart. The most interesting thing I've found on an allotment was a rose-orb jetton struck in Nuremberg in the 16th century. The museum ID'd it for me and even showed me a reference book with photos others struck from the same thingyummy it was struck from. I let them keep it on the grounds it might as well live in a drawer at the museum as a drawer at my flat.

I also find an awful lot of broken glass, every forkful of soil has a glass sherd, pot sherd, a nail or a piece of brick, sometimes more than one. I always remove this stuff as soon as I see it, so I know it's all newly-surfaced carp.

Was busy yesterday and out at archery in the evening, so the only kondo-ing done was a bit of knitting and a bit of reading, both of which will cause items to leave the premises when they are finished with.

Onward and outwards, my lovelies, and wishing the poorlies well.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So I did my ten minutes yesterday. I admit that it is just random KD but I am was able to put it either in bin, eBay pile or find a proper home for it. I attacked a bag that I had just stuffed things into when someone came round and I wanted house to look tidy. So spare dryer bits are now away, random shredding done, sauces collected from McDonald's now in bin: I have way to many of them ready for that rainy day! I finished up with chucking the bag as it had holes in and also putting a receipt on receipt hog.

Trying to hail here, it was predicted snow but I am hoping it doesn't as if I don't work I don't get paid!
    Go get it!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dragonette wrote: »
    Evening all, I've been doing lots of nodding at the carp found in soil - as an archaeologist you find a depressingly huge amount of rubbish, mostly from 1850 on. I got incredibly tired of print transfer ceramics

I have an all day appt at the hospital TIA/stroke clinic tomorrow. Not hugely looking forward but the uncertainty is much much worse. I'm back to being awake for about 8 hours a day, with a long sleep day and night. 3 of my last four meals have been brought to me by friends and family.

As I'm spending more time in bed, the room wasn't feeling joyful and serene enough - so I've rearranged where my boots and shoes live. Getting rid of a pair of heels and snow boots. Offered up my high heels to the friend taking the lower pair, but she doesn't wear higher ones. In all honesty, there are the ones I would rather keep so here they stay atm. So that is 2 pairs of shoes and a hanging shoe organiser out :)

Oh! My Shepherd of Sweden boots arrived, they are gorgeous and so very comfortable. The translated care booklet days to spray them with 'an impregnation spray before first use' - I understand the concept, but the wording is hilarious. Any ideas of key words I can search? Not risking searching impregnation spray! :eek:

Hope your appt goes well.

We have a can of Reebok Water Repellant which was sold to us for spraying onto trainers before first use. I'm guessing this is the same sort of stuff. Got it in a sports shop but I'm sure you'll find it online. Can't say I've noticed it's particularly effective though!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    dragonette I hope your Shepherd Boots bring you as much joy as mine have. I even wear mine in the Summer as they are cool when its hot ;)

I dont know which ones you have got.But I never spayed mine with anything but think in true kondo fashion I chucked the care booklet and never read it( sounds pointless anyway ):rotfl: :o I wash mine once a year in the sink :rotfl:with a bit of what ever cleaner I have and then once they are dry put some Collonil classic shoe cream on them.But mine are waxed leather and NOT suede.So if yours are Suede dont do what I do :D

Mrs Mp Glad it was all ok and you should be in tip top form once the soreness goes :)

I have started painting :eek: over the carp paint after rubbing it down and having to leave 16 hours between coats :( So its a very slow process and one which I love to get side tracked all the time so its even slower than it should be really :o second coat to the coat cupboard later today did that first as was sick of it feeling sticky every time I put anything in there. Just hope this does the job and it looks ok. If not think I will just move out:rotfl:

Have a joyful day all

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2016 at 9:25AM
    Morning all
    Talk of unearthing buried treasure has got me thinking, when I was a teen we lived in a council house and mum dug up parts of a motorbike and what appeared to be some kind of well rotted great coat with rusted metal military type buttons. It all got dumped but now as I type this I'm wondering why you would bury that. Sounds like the makings of a crime case (or novel) to my overactive imagination.
    As a child I remember being told of a family pet budgie dying and being buried in a sock, for years later parts of the fabric for the sock would appear in each turnover dig.

Plan to kondo a bit of fabric from my stash by making a dress today. I did a bit of knitting last night and I didn't feel sore also no bruising has appeared which I thought it would after they had to jiggle the needle a bit during draining. But it's done now and I've been given the all clear.
    Thank you for your kind thoughts.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just chuckling at the translations of instructions. I had a Japanese made knitting machine years ago covered in 'graceful vinyl' & the instructions for use although translated into English made no sense at all!
    Glad all went well for you MrsM x
    Tibawo - I'm trying to remove bits of clutter as I see them. It's a slow process as my kitchen has a bank of cupboards along one wall with 5 drawers and only the smallest has been cleared out (holds all the spare batteries) I'm going to try to do 1 a week!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We have an icecream maker and the instructions translated from Italian say you need to put 'alimentary alcohol' into the machine between the base and the bowl liner. It took us ages to work out they meant drinkable alcohol as opposed to something like meths!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been AWOL but still busy with the kondoing. I just had to share this with you because it's all about the Kondo,magic and letting in the woo.

On Monday I had a lovely big cheque from HRMC - totally out of the blue.

Moved dad from his flat into my sisters house yesterday. Nightmare. He would not part with anything. Basically I was just boxing up worn out carp and rubbish whilst he paid good money to removal men to shift it. Madness. My poor sister is tearing her hair out because he has inundated her house with it all.

Seeing just how badly his hoarding is affecting the entire family I am more resolved than ever to trim down my possessions and continue my journey to simple living.

I have just ordered MKs second book. After reading I will donate it to my dad. Hopefully it might help.

I gave the first book to my sister in law who again is a dreadful hoarder as is her daughter. I am delighted to inform you they have seen the light and are busy shedding stuff with gay abandon. :rotfl:

Let's keep spreading the message. :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have been AWOL but still busy with the kondoing. I just had to share this with you because it's all about the Kondo,magic and letting in the woo.

On Monday I had a lovely big cheque from HRMC - totally out of the blue.
    Thats the kind of anti-kondo we like :j:j:j
    Moved dad from his flat into my sisters house yesterday. Nightmare. He would not part with anything. Basically I was just boxing up worn out carp and rubbish whilst he paid good money to removal men to shift it. Madness. My poor sister is tearing her hair out because he has inundated her house with it all.
    Thats rough :( your poor sister! Not that great for you boxing it all up, but there's nothing else to be done if he insists like that.
    I gave the first book to my sister in law who again is a dreadful hoarder as is her daughter. I am delighted to inform you they have seen the light and are busy shedding stuff with gay abandon. :rotfl:
    My sister in law is the same. I really, really wish she could understand the negative effect, but it just isn't there.

For my own stuff, it's much more gradual than our Marie advises :) but my focus is downsizing on books so that I can fit them all into the smaller bookcase, then get shot of the bigger one. That also means emptying the smaller one - its used to store flowerpots, stocks of cornflakes, etc :rotfl: its going well tho.

2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport