DVLA Date of Liability

Hi
Not sure if other thread is still alive so I thought best to restart it
Just seen a motorcycle for sale - looked great : not insured or taxed, so i said i'd think about it.
Noted the reg, came home, visited the dvla vehicle check and the Date of Liability was shown as September 1992 - what exactly does this mean - If i bought the bike would i have to pay all the back road tax etc
regards
:eek:

Comments

• Moon_Boi
    Moon_Boi Posts: 101 Forumite
    snapper23 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just seen a motorcycle for sale - looked great : not insured or taxed, so i said i'd think about it.
    Noted the reg, came home, visited the dvla vehicle check and the Date of Liability was shown as September 1992 - what exactly does this mean - If i bought the bike would i have to pay all the back road tax etc
    regards

Vehicle enquiries

If you contact us by telephone, you will be greeted by our interactive voice system. Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration
    Telephone: 0870 240 0010
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    snapper23 wrote: »
    Hi
    regards

It means that was when the bike was registered for road use and liable for road tax. It doesn't mean you owe that back tax :) Is it around J reg by any chance?
    Buy it, insure it and tax it from the beginning of the month you intend using it on the road. Enjoy!
  • You only become liable for the vehicle from the day you acquire it, not for anything in the past.

Is it an old bike? Sounds like it has been off road for many years and would be exempt from SORN currently as SORN only came into force in 1998.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Moon_Boi wrote: »
    Vehicle enquiries

If you contact us by telephone, you will be greeted by our interactive voice system. Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration
    Telephone: [STRIKE]0870 240 0010[/STRIKE]

Don't use rip off 0870 number, use this one that puts you through to a 3 option menu, 01792 782341 ; -
    Option 1 Driving Licence enquiries
    Option 2 Vehicle enquiries
    Hold for anything else.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    It means that was when the bike was registered for road use and liable for road tax.

The date of liability is when the tax/sorn runs out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport