Edinburgh attractions and things to do (merged)

Comments

• Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There used to be a really good eating place for kids called Fat Sams. Don't know if its still there. Burgers and live music.
  • Felix
    Felix Posts: 284 Forumite
    Wheres that?
  • VixxAnn
    VixxAnn Posts: 351 Forumite
    Just back from our break in Edinburgh - five fantastic days - cannot wait to go back.

All your tips came in very handy - won't list every thing we did but to mention a few places we visited...
    - Luca's in Morningside (for a fantastic breakfast on my hubbies birthday!)
    - toy museum (they loved it!)
    - ghost walk (my hubbie & eldest son only!)
    - lots of clothes shops (me & daughter only!)
    - Zoo (thanks for the tip on the bus re. hill - phew!)
    - Arthurs seat (cheated and drove half way up first!)
    - Botanic Gardens (earlier today when it was fantastically sunny)
    - Royal Britannia Yacht (yes expensive but thoroughly enjoyed it)

oh and lots lots more, plus general looking about and tremendous amounts of eating - gosh I feel fat!

Its 8 years since my last visit and 15years since I used to live there but I'll make sure its not so long until we go again:beer:
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    It was a "capone" themed american diner. Its no longer there anymore.
  • Try Museum of Childhood on the Royal Mile (free) and Museum on Chambers street - again free - my dd loves all the stuffed animals!!

China China - all you can eat chinese buffet - £5.99 until 5pm - next to the Playhouse.
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • gremilex
    gremilex Posts: 65 Forumite
    This may be too late as I expect that you are already in Edinburgh.

Here is a link to a voucher that you can print for 3 Chinese restaurants that have afternoon buffets. One of them is just up from Waverley train station.
    Two for the price of one.
    Check the conditions though, upto 19:30, not Friday and Saturday and you have to buy a drink.

http://www.edinburghrendezvous.co.uk/voucher.html

I would recommend checking out Tantallon castle which is just down the coast a bit. They filmed shoebox zoo there.

Also Craigmillar Castle is great for the kids.

There is also a fair with a very large big wheel at Murrayfield this weekend.

HTH
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    interestingly enough im going there for work purposes and apart from the castle theres nothing else i can think of :p im sure there's loads though
    ummm...
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lots of good ideas here so to keep it current it has been moved across here and I am going to make it a sticky.
  • Xh2oX
    Xh2oX Posts: 46 Forumite
    Also back from three fantastic days in Edinburgh...worn out now!
    Did most of the above.. only let down was the dungeon - expensive waste of money! sorry but hubby and i thought the same. Camera obscura was fantastic not sure if it was mentioned above. 10 year old loved the odd things there!

Just to mention Ibis hotel....great value and great breakfasts... now on diet!
    Thanks to all who gave ideas!
    ;)Water!
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Before you pay to any attractions, check out the leaflets in any touristy places. We managed to get money off, or free child places, for several places like Dynamic Earth and Camera Obscura. My 9 and 7 year old loved Camera Obscura, but their favourite place was the fudge shop, which we visited several times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure