Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Great tip on photographing things Bob

More funds to savings today, including £130 from savings for tax bill not required :T £3 survey and £5 fleabay sale :D already have enough for plasterer next month to pay in cash :D

Have a big savings target now for next summer for a very key event - so that will be the next focus whilst finishing the girls room, to the best standard for least cost.

I've also seen some curtains I was interested in for lounge in sale, need to ponder on them overnight but may order to see what I think. I was going to wait a few months and maybe hope something came in Christmas sale, but I'm not sure I'm going to get better for cheaper. Will need to look at house pot and see if I could fund it.

Plenty to think about. PF.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow unrequired tax money! How, what, where? Surely rarer than Nessie sightings!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Wow unrequired tax money! How, what, where? Surely rarer than Nessie sightings!

:rotfl: I know I was expecting it the other way, I double and triple checked too. However, I'm not laughing too much yet. I had to fill in a partnership return and it said in the letter to do paper by end oct or online by end Jan. Never thought much of it until I came to do it online mid Nov only to find I had to buy (really expensive) software to do it online so I had no option than to send it in on paper. So they may fine me yet for a late return - hoping as there was only about 4 boxes filled in they won't but when have we known the tax man to be kind. Time will tell.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    I ended up owing HMRC at my lowest point. It was terrifying. I had to fork over £333 a month to pay what I owed. I was literally worried sick about getting it to them every month. My fault but still, they are not a nice organisation to deal with.

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    More time seems to have passed, not sure where the last few days have gone, some things bought :p. Good things happening though. We've put a deposit on flooring downstairs that will be fitted in January. We've also had a bedroom measured and if downstairs is ok will then order.

Had new mattress delivered, time will tell if its ok. I don't think it can be any worse than our old one - much cheaper than ordering new bed that's for sure. May get a topper for it, will look on the deal sites.

DH got paid more for overtime that we thought he would, so have paid deposit on weekend away in Feb and will also put £100 extra in savings.

I bought all my family cards for Christmas from discount shop, will write over the next couple of days and post those required second class. Have recovered some gifts from loft I need to post, so they can go snail mail.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Horray for overtime!

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Horray for overtime!

Thanks bob he has more tonight so whilst it's a shame he's already in bed the money is always useful:D

Lots going in here, including something major that I can't go in to detail on here just now, save to say it's taking up much of my brain space which is making some other stuff challenging.

Done a few surveys today, nearly at payout again and will request another £3 from p1nec0ne tonight too. One other survey site I was doing quite well from isn't loading properly so can't do any surveys on there at the moment which is a tad annoying.

Have a load of clothes to go back I ordered last weekend, will do that on Tuesday.

Want to write some of my Christmas cards this evening and maybe wrap a gift or too in need to pop in the post snail mail so I can send them tomorrow. Will do some knitting too:D
    Need to think about next project as this won't take too much longer, although DD wants me to knit her the same in her size so I may just do that.

We have 2 more debt repayments this year and we will have paid off 60% of debt since January. I'm really pleased wth that considering we stopped overpaying massively in July and moved to savings mode. We would have paid almost all of it had we not slowed down so I'm happy with that.

Man came to fix radiator we had fitted a few months ago that was making an annoying noise, he didn't charge :D
    Bit of work to do before plasterer comes in 2 weeks but will have time to fit it in. All coming together nicely.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    PF you have done so well to pay off so much this year and save and do up your home. Total inspiration.

• PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Thanks Bob that's lovely of you to say, after a pretty rubbish week that's made my day :D

Didn't do the cards last night so will try and do them now whilst DH catches up on some sleep

Also moved all my funds from various 'pots' that have poor interest rates to the account with the highest rate I have with space available. Need to pop to a town at some point to open another high interest account we don't have a branch in our local town and I can't do it online. Will see if I can manage tracking it myself on a sheet, which I did anyway.

Will put up tree later after we have been out for some fresh air and a hot chocolate with smalls.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    That's a fantastic amount of payment PF - and you're still managing to have a life alongside it.
    I've done no Christmas card writing or gift wrapping at all yet - you may have given me an idea for this afternoon...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback