Abbey (merged)

and I have a couple of questions.

1) Assuming i'm successful, would I be liable to pay tax on what I recover?

2) What do I tell any other bank when I go to open another account?!

3) Is there an upper cash limit on the charges to be claimed?

Cheers
Richard

Comments

• Hi guys, I can't say how happy i am that i found this site.

I've just made a claim to Barclays for £350 and its Abbey's turn next...

But i have one question: I have 2 Abbey accounts, i'll be claiming charges from one of them. do you think if the close that account they'll do a dirty on me and close them both, even if i make no claims on the other a/c?

I was gonna use the 2nd Abbey a/c as my parachute a/c. I might try and open a new one at the weekend. is it difficult to get an a/c with a VISA debit card (I already have 3 such a/cs)? I dont want just a cash a/c.

Cheers guys,

Simon.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Unlikely but possible.
  • nickmack
    1) No
    2) Whatever you like, say customer service was poor
    3) Up to £5000 for the small claims track
  • Thanks Nickmack. My charges from the odd statements (I have all the last 2 years plus oddments up to 2001) come to nearly £4000 :\
  • I'm a bit concerned about opening a new account, won't they check if I disclose my Abbey account? What do I do about my £850 overdraft?
  • nickmack
    Tell them you're closing your Abbey acccount. You need to negociate an overdraft if you need it.
  • :j Hi All :j

So glad I found this site but wish I had sooner, I emailed my bank before I was aware of this site and made them aware I was unhappy with the charges, they sent the standard reply they were investigating.

I have now received a letter stating "it's my responsibilty to ensure there is enough money available to cover any due payments."

Going on to say they operate like most bank "automaically" and "keep costs to a minimum", "standard charges" and so on and so on.:mad:

They say they have shown flexibilty and say they cannot remove anymore.

Can I still start the proceedings after receiving this letter and ask them for the last 6 years worth of charges, they say in the letter heir is a leaflet I should read if I am still not satisfied.

I have 2 accounts with Abbey, one my salary goes in with a £1250 overraft limit (always up to it, can't afford to get it down at once, they say they can reduce at an amount that suits me but when questioned about the previously they couldn't do it !) the other has all my bills going out of it.

Do I ask for details of charges on both accounts?

Thanking you all in advance for whatever help you can give me, don't mind admitting that this is a very scary step and need all the help and encouragement you can give.

Cheekysheepy:o
  • with the data protection act, you are asking for all the information they have about you. i.e. if you have both accounts with the same bank; then you just add both account numbers to the DPA no extra cash same £10 cheque will cover both accounts
    Help me to help you :santa2:
  • Thanks for that, I will do

Would you say go ahead and send the letter has I'm still not happy
  • Hi Richard

I'm about to take the plunge with Abbey myself, sick of their charges, being a bit of a horder I have virtually every statement from both my accounts for the last 3-4 years but I like the idea of asking them for it.

Cheekysheepy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport