PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Finally back there's been quite a lot going on over on the Fence and I'm trying to play catch up over there too .

I've been thinking of our other friends during this weather and hoping they're managing . Tink and curlytop and those who need to get to work must have had quite a time this winter .

pollyx

Hi Polly

I'm still here, but just not posting very much.

Wow, you and DD have been through the mill of it. Glad to see that you are both coming through the other side of it. Would help if the weather was a little nicer but in time, as the sun brings brighter days, the clouds you have both been under, will lift.

I shouldn't type this with a small smile on my face, but I have been sssso lucky with the weather. Last week, there was mild snow but I got my Aldi snow boots on and trudged through the white stuff for work. The next day when it got worse were luckily my non working days so happy days for me all round. Got out of bed Thursday and the snow was back. Yep, you've guessed it ... the days I don't work again. I couldn't have asked for better if I tried :rotfl: DH had to take the day off as the trains were off and just going one leg of his trip would have took over 2 hrs (DSIL took the trip and she wasn't happy at all).

I am continuing to use my beloved disabled travel pass as much as I can but have never plucked up 'the courage' to progress to PIP claims. I can manage as I am financially although this year I have been conscientiously watching my pennies more to get more out of them. I didn't know squeaky money existed until recently :)

Health wise, I've just had my second bout of eye inflammation this year. First it was iritis, but this time was episcleritis. Either way, both require me to visit the A&E section of the eye hospital. Luckily the ladies in there are very good and I'm in and out within a few hours after the doctor has looked at the back of my eye. I just need the steroid drops to take hold. Luckily my pre-paid prescription is being well used. What a godsend it is.

I still have the same levels of pain but just plod on with it, as we all seem to do here. I haven't gone back to the infrared spa. I think I may have mentioned that I noticed the new branch was showing them as holding Fibro meetings. I know no-one will have my arm up by back, but I don't want to get into the whole ethos of a 'support' group. They aren't medical people and so it's not something I would feel comfortable of evening being in the vicinity of.

My ibs is playing up but I suspect that is because I've been coming off my FODMAP approach to food recently and the re-introduction of bread is playing havoc with my tummy. Back to no bread it is then. Not worth the hassle.

Good to see the positivity of everyone here, irrespective of the niggles and frustrations we have going on, on this thread. I think it's fact that there's no judgement which is very helpful and supportive. Long may it continue.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Wolfy The Zomorph is 10mg modified release 2 capsules to be taken twice daily so 40mg each day .
    Oramorph is 5ml max hourly .
    Can you tell I've just pulled out the last meds printout ? :D

There were times she needed only a little Oramorph but as pain levels have been pretty high she may not need all the doses but still needs it due the Zomorph nor controlling the pain enough to get some sleep as constant infection has given her a right kicking for a long times .
    Dr thinks the pSa and fibro combo are the problem as everything flares . There have been a few times she still has enough at the end of the month to get through a couple of weeks without needing another prescription .
    It's constantly monitored . In her teens she has a codeine issue for a long time unknown to Dr and myself so all three of us are on the case . She'll never do that again and monitors how many meds she needs and questions them at every appt .
    She's had to learn lessons the hard way . She has a long past history of EDs at both extremes and that was why she was often an impatient under MH services .
    She can handle not resorting to those measures nowadays and any urge to do so she has things in place most of her own making to pull herself back . Put it this way she does a lot of knitting and stitching .
    Now she is facing her once strong , white teeth beginning to cause problems . We're not sure if that related to the MTX and possibly the Oramorph but a combination of the EDs of the past and teeth grinding , which i do myself wont have helped .

I hope Lizzie can help to lower the anxiety for you . Apart from it being the constant elephant in the room as I know by my dd . You have had the long worry over MrWolf the stress of driving him back and forth and waiting for answers .
    The short dark days , damp and cold don't lift the spirits and the bad black dog takes up residence .
    Enjoy Lizzie no idea how it is weather wise in Concrete Cow Country but we're back to grey , damp and gloomy today after yesterdays cold but sunny . Wrap up warm and get out as much as you can during Lizzies holiday .
    Brighter days will come .
    polly xx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Once more sorry for typos and lack of punctuation in my last post . I think faster than I type so the next sentence is my head too soon :rotfl:

It's lovely to see you Curly Top . I'm sorry to hear about the eye problems but pleased you're in good hands . Is that the team at the Royal ? As a child I used to attend the old Moorfields Eye hospital near Exchange station which later relocated to the Royal .

Glad you're getting good use from the travel pass it was worth overcoming your reluctance to apply .

It's odd you should mention " Support Group " dd and I were at the Pharmacy on Wednesday to collect 110 Zomorph capsules and 3 other meds they had been short of the previous Friday .
    The usual waiting while they tried to find a Pharmacist for the great unlocking of the cupboard ceremony for the Zomorph happened . We sat down eventually as our backs and legs were protesting .
    A woman was sitting next me examining a Boots digital Tens machine which sparked our interest , I'm sure many will recognise that .

We started chatting and she had been loaned another brand for a short period to try out by the local pain clinic and was considering this cheaper version . We chattered a while about the clinic and she mentioned the Dr in charge a renowned expert and in our experience an excellent clinical lead . She tore him to shreds verbally along with pretty one every other staff member .
    We were willing a Pharmacist to unlock the cupboard so we could exit stage left .

She started telling us of the wonders of the support group and how she was worse than the other members . She was urging both of us to join in when thankfully the cavalry arrived and we escaped .

Do think about applying for PIP . I'd be the last to say it's stress free after dds transfer from DLA swiftly followed by the ESA assessment . A fair number of us here have gone through the process either on our own or someone elses behalf and will help you as you go through the steps .

I have noticed big increases in food , utilties and other living costs so worth thinking about that extra money .

I do agree on the No Judgement comment . That was my initial aim starting the thread . They can stay under the bridge or join like minded individuals elsewhere plenty of places on the internet for that .

My mum used to say " If you can't say something nice , don't say anything at all " Someone once wrote a song with that title but their name escapes me :D It will pop into my head sometime later .

Wolfy I missed the bit about the Tai Chi in your post . I did think of you AOT and some others when I ordered it and wondered if it would be helpful . I wont say never but at present anything involving much more than plodding on , sitting or lying down is a challenge beyond me so this seemed worth a try .

I'll report back . BTW if anyone has used one of the Boots Tens Machines ( Digital Version ) I'd be interested in your feedback .
    No reviews at all online . DD is hoping to test the pain clinic one on loan but I think there will be a long waiting list . They use a very expensive one so out of our price range I think .

Well I've waffled on and on . Take care and stay warm all.
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How do you manage pacing, especially when having a flare? What are your fave low-spoon activities?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 March 2018 at 9:50PM
    I wonder if anybody has been following The activities of Dr. Rangan Chattergee recently. He,a the GP who had some programmes on tv a while back trying to persuade patients to come off their medication and to improve their medical conditions by changing their lifestyles, diets, etc.

I,ve just read his book, the 4 pillars of Health (Relaxation, Diet, Movement, Sleep) , which makes interesting reading and talks a lot of common sense, saying that previously at medical school doctors were not taught about the imoact that getting these factors wrong could have on all kinds of medical conditions.

Hes certainly encouraged me to think more carefully about the impact some so simple lifestyle changes could have on my own health. I love his idea of exercise snacking, ie doing things like a dozen squats in the kitchen while waiting for the morning kettle to boil. For people who find exercise difficult for medical reasons, I think his strategies may be helpful and his book is well worth reading for some simple practical ideas for lifestyle changes

His website, Dr. Chattergee.com has some very interesting educational podcast discussions with various medical experts on the impact lifestyle changes can have on health and medical conditions and are worth listening to for anybody prepared to make the time to listen.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi everyone!

It!!!8217;s been a while - things are crazy here and I!!!8217;ve not been great. Kids are working themselves all the time and I know it!!!8217;s a phase but it!!!8217;s exhausting. It makes me feel like I!!!8217;m failing as a parent :(
    I!!!8217;m pushing myself more and more with the swimming and gym but it!!!8217;s not getting any easier.
    I!!!8217;ve lost a stone in weight but I!!!8217;m still so tired and finding it very up and down.

Hope everyone is well and happy mother!!!8217;s day to all the mums!

Xx
    Living the simple life
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;ve lost a stone in weight

Well done!:T
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Enjoy Lizzie no idea how it is weather wise in Concrete Cow Country but we're back to grey , damp and gloomy today after yesterdays cold but sunny . Wrap up warm and get out as much as you can during Lizzies holiday .
    Ha ha, we got soaked this morning; Lizzie's first walk of the day is 07:00, so the strategy is throw on yesterday's clothes, walk and feed her, then see about the daily bath. ;)
    Luckily Lizzie is good about being towel dried; and she trots along very nicely with the mobility buggy; and she constantly has her nose to the ground (typical Spaniel!)
    I'm so glad of my nice warm ski jacket; no I don't ski, but you may remember I won a £200 voucher to be spent in the Xscape shops, and the jacket was bought with part of that. I also have waterproof trousers, leggings and boots. ;)

Itisme: Pacing? What's that, then? :D I've never gotten the hang of it, and invariably end up knocking myself into Tuesday week by doing too much when I ought to stop and rest.

Tink: Well done on the weight loss. The 2 stone of extraneous lard I need to shift is stubbornly determined to stay put. :cool:

Curly Top: Nice to "see" you.
    I'm another who doesn't do "support groups". They seem to me to be either a "my pain trumps your pain" competition, or else I'm not welcomed because I'm somewhat ...er... unconventional in my outlook. In any case, with crippling social phobia, I'd sooner cut off my leg with a rusty bread knife than attend a gathering of hoomans! :eek:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for the kind words Polly. The eye is getting better; I'm just struggling today with my knee that I hurt after I fell on the black ice from a leak in the pavement. I've got an appointment for physio in April, so will plod on till then ....literally haha.

Itisme wrote: »
    How do you manage pacing, especially when having a flare? What are your fave low-spoon activities?

Tbh, I don't. When I have a flare up, I want to do very little so just do light duties and have plenty of rests inbetween.

I watched a programme on youtube about Dr Rangan Chattergee, the episode where the lady was suffering with fibromyalgia (something I have) and various other conditions and had a host of medication to get her through the day. Then I read Primrose's post and have today picked up his book from the library as I felt a lot of what he said on the programme made complete sense.

Tink: well done on the weight loss.

Lamewolf: You are so spot on with your summing up of 'support' groups. I'm getting to be less tolerant of other folk, the older I get.

Keep fighting the good fight everyone
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi feeling a bit more organised starting this week - the chaos of the kids is so exhausting at times but I!!!8217;m trying to plan plan plan so I!!!8217;m organised!

Still using up the contents of the freezer so a HM curry sauce from the freezer and the last of the chicken from Sunday!!!8217;s dinner (kids had chicken and HM chips)

All my bills are sorted this month and I!!!8217;m just waiting for pay day (again) had the added expense of the guttering being damaged by the snow storm so had to replace that. Still have not had the rubbish bin emptied either so on Thursday it will be 4 weeks!

I!!!8217;ve been
    Living the simple life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family