PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Charging order problem for mortgage

Hi. 3 years ago as part of my divorce settlement the court awarded me full beneficial interest in the family home. The judge told me that the property should be transferred to my name by the mortgage company. The mortgage is still solely under my ex husbands name as I was not in a financial position to get a mortgage approved in my name. Lloyds bank said I must apply as a new first time buyer if I want the property transferred to my name on the land registry. The land registry still has my exs name solely listed as the mortgage payer or owner. I am now in a financial position to secure a mortgage but I have just found out that there is a final charging order on the property placed in my exs name for his debts. The final charging order was made 9 months ago. The property is not his but mine as of a court decision in 2015. The charging order was requested in 2017 for my exs debts. How can I challenge the final charging order placed last year? I am in the process of applying for a first time buyer mortgage on this property. Do I need a lawyer? Thank you

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Lucy5 wrote: »
    Do I need a lawyer? Thank you
    The judge said you should get the beneficial interest in the property but you were unable to get it because you weren't in a financial position to take on the mortgage debt that allowed the beneficial interest in the property to exist. So presumably the beneficial interest in the property stayed with the husband. Did he continue to pay off the mortgage (i.e. paying down /servicing the debt that allowed 'your' interest in the property to exist), or did you do that?

Then some creditors have placed an order on the property which was legally his (though not beneficially his, if you could have raised a mortage to take it off him, which you couldn't and didn't).

If you want to contest someone's right to do something you do not need to be a lawyer but need to know the relevant law to know what rights you have that you could assert and to what extent you can remove the charge or realstically make the ex pay it off to remedy the situation.

By the fact you are here asking questions because you don't know the law yourself, but are not going to get comprehensive advice for you exact facts and circumstances here for free, I'd say that yes you need a solicitor. Alternatively you will need to spend some time researching the law.

Probably the best approach is to go back to your divorce lawyer and say that 3 years ago, as they know, you got a settlement - but it it didn't work out because of xyz, what next. If you didn't use a solicitor at that time - just represented your own interests instead - now might be time to go shopping for one.
  • Lucy5
    Lucy5 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I used a solicitor and barrister, I continuously paid the mortgage a few years prior to the settlement and afterwards, up to this date. The original case was between myself, my ex and a third party wishing to secure a share of the property's equity because of my exs debt. The judge ruled that the property was mine and that my ex and the third party creditor would not receive a share of the 50% equity in the house. My ex has no claim on the house as far as the court ruling is concerned, from my limited understanding of the law, as the judge made remarks to the effect that future creditors of my exs could not make a claim on the property. I lost my job just after the settlement, so could not secure a mortgage immediately. The charging order is for roughly £10,000. I know from experience legal fees can be very high. Would it cost more than £10,000 in legal fees to attempt to set aside the charging order? Is it a one off yes or no hearing or a long prolonged affair, which increases legal fees. Thank you
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Lucy5 wrote: »
    The charging order is for roughly £10,000. I know from experience legal fees can be very high. Would it cost more than £10,000 in legal fees to attempt to set aside the charging order? Is it a one off yes or no hearing or a long prolonged affair, which increases legal fees. Thank you
    A fifteen to thirty minute introductory meeting with a legal professional should be enough to establish the basic facts and likely costs before you decide whether you want to engage them to do some work for you.

If they charge £100 per hour the price will likely be different than if you employ a QC at £500-1000 per hour. Of course the outcome could be different, too (at least the £500ph one will tell you that) :)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    At the point where the judge awarded you the beneficial interest you should have registered matrimonial home rights on the deeds ie by by completing the HR1 form and registering it with Land Registry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-of-home-rights-registration-hr1
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure