Reg. Savers 5%

Comments

• But presumably you'd be feeding the money from the 1.41% account into the 2.5% account...
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    But presumably you'd be feeding the money from the 1.41% account into the 2.5% account...

Why would you presume that? People could easily be funding it from monthly income, and even if they weren't 1.4% on the lump sum is still more than 2.25% on the regular deposit.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Why would you presume that? People could easily be funding it from monthly income, and even if they weren't 1.4% on the lump sum is still more than 2.25% on the regular deposit.

No it isn't. You dont have the whole £3000 in the regular saving account, and whole £3000 doesn't disappear from the 1.4% account on the first day

Someone gradually transferring from one to the other would have about £55.

If it's simpler anf you're talking only about regular savings from income, putting it in the lower interest account doesn't give you £42, but about £23.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    How does putting some of your monthly income into a 1.4% account pay you more interest than putting the same amount, at the same monthly time, into one or more regular savers paying 2.25%?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    You receive the full rate however you fund the account :)

Missing the point, Jim.
  • The strategy for getting the best returns, if we're talking about cash only, is to have it in the highest paying current account and transfer gradually to regular savers and also put excess monthly income into regular savers.
  • Thank you andypk and Yorkshire boy, will try and get my head round that later! Appreciate your time.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i currently have £1k/m going into HSBC/M&S/Nationwide.. but when the latter matures i'll only be able to stash £750/m at 5%. and that's if things don't deteriorate further. below 5% i won't bother.. i had an FD current account way back, and since then they haven't allowed me to open another account with them.
  • ValiantSon
    redux wrote: »
    No it isn't. You dont have the whole £3000 in the regular saving account, and whole £3000 doesn't disappear from the 1.4% account on the first day

What?

I never said that you did have the full £3000 in the regular saver! In fact, I quite clearly said that you would be putting £250 in each month, but having the full £3000 in a savings account at 1.4% would yield a higher return.
    Someone gradually transferring from one to the other would have about £55.

Again, I never said that they wouldn't. I was simply responding to an erroneous comment that the regular saver at 2.xx% was better than a savings account at 1.4%. The exact arrangements of how you move the money around changes the return, but the bold statement is false.
    If it's simpler anf you're talking only about regular savings from income, putting it in the lower interest account doesn't give you £42, but about £23.

And once again, I wasn't talking about that either. I did make a second post, commenting on the possibility of someone paying in to a regular saver out of monthly income, but that was an entirely separate point. If you conflate two different and separate comments I make on differing scenarios, then you will misunderstand what I was saying.
  • ValiantSon
    colsten wrote: »
    How does putting some of your monthly income into a 1.4% account pay you more interest than putting the same amount, at the same monthly time, into one or more regular savers paying 2.25%?

It doesn't and I never said that it did! You have misunderstood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure