PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    PhilE wrote: »
    They put 2 balls in my mums garden tonight, 2 balls a few days back. They usually average 4 balls per week, sometimes more. Thats about £50 worth.

My mums in her 70's and cant throw them over a 6 foot fence, so they are sitting in her garden tucked away.

Went down the local police station tonight, and asked to speak with a PSCO. Explained the situation, the receptionist was helpful and said that as its a safety issue they'll have to look into it, the likely outcome being they'll go round and have a chat with him to stop.

It would be very easy in this situation for me to have a go at him, but right now the law is in my favor. If I loose my cool that might not be the case so much. Very important to remember that in these situations.

A walls definitely going up ASAP though. Big tree also.

You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense?

More worryingly the police are actually wasting time on this nonsense?!

(make sure you get planning permission for both ;) )
  • Guest101
    patman99 wrote: »
    The problem is that foreigners living in the UK tend to behave as though they are still in their own country.

Remember all the issues around Polish immigrants dumping all their waste outside the front of their houses?. They did it because back in Poland that was the norm as every day the waste collector would collect the waste and take it away, so the Polish assumed it was the same over here until the local Councils started to educate them.

In your neighbours home country it might be acceptable behavior to use a fence as a goal. Until someone in authority educates them otherwise, then they will not seeing as an issue.
    ? It IS perfectly acceptable to use a fence as a goal.
  • Guest101
    Technically she could call the police and say it's assault ... because it is really. That'd make them !!!!!!.

No, no it's not. It an accident. Get a grip
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Guest101 wrote: »
    What other advice do you want? Kids play football and sometimes kick it over the fence. That's called LIFE

I disagree. It's life if it happens 1/2 times and is then rectified - after that it's nuisance and nonsense.

If I had a hobby that lobbed random items into the gardens of neighbours, after the second time I'd be standing and scratching my head thinking "This isn't right. I must fix this. I can't be a nuisance to people and I dislike going and asking to retrieve it".... and I'd work out a solution so that I wasn't lobbing random items into the gardens of others.

It's the thin end of the wedge when it comes to disrespect. Disrespect for others, for the rights of others, for social cohesion and community spirit. It's verging on feral ... and the kid is being taught poor citizenship skills.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:34AM
    No, no it's not. It an accident. Get a grip

Yes OTT... but the OP needs a solution that the neanderthal next door will understand.

For every action there is a reaction.

The knuckle dragger isn't listening. Old people shouldn't be assaulted by foreign objects in their own back garden on a daily basis. Nobody should.

What, if, say, it were a new born baby lying in a pram in the garden? Should people not be allowed to sit in their own gardens and invite babies, small children, animals over "in case"? Should they not be able to enjoy fragile garden ornaments and greenhouses, "because"?

:)
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense?

More worryingly the police are actually wasting time on this nonsense?!

(make sure you get planning permission for both ;) )

It's not nonsense, it's legitimate problem involving someone's right to a reasonable use of their amenities.

Exactly the type of pro-active policing that probably saves them work in the long term.

What would you rather they were doing, paperwork?
  • PasturesNew
    ? It IS perfectly acceptable to use a fence as a goal.

Again, I disagree. It is perfectly acceptable to use YOUR OWN fence as a goal, if you wish to pay the landlord for the damage, or pay to replace your own fence, that's a right.

It is not acceptable to use somebody else's fence as a goal because you were too tight or idle to put up your own fence for the purpose.

It is further NOT acceptable to continually cause nuisance to neighbours by the incessant kicking of balls over the fence and damaging garden items, property and persons daily.

Indeed, some might even "do it on purpose" as they are !!!!!! bullies who gain great glee from ruining the lives of those closest to them. This could, in some cases, be regarded as a "hate crime" if it's done with malice.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You're wasting valuable poloce time on this nonsense? )

I think the police still have the right to decide for themselves what is time-wasting, what requires some response and what that action might be.

Not sure about the poloce.

I doubt if they will send an armed unit, but maybe just a PCSO having a word would have some effect on the situation.
  • Guest101
    Again, I disagree. It is perfectly acceptable to use YOUR OWN fence as a goal, if you wish to pay the landlord for the damage, or pay to replace your own fence, that's a right. - So remove the fence and let them put their own up.

It is not acceptable to use somebody else's fence as a goal because you were too tight or idle to put up your own fence for the purpose. - Most people don't even know how fence ownership works, they think it's something to do with boundaries. and the OP wont even have a conversation with them.

It is further NOT acceptable to continually cause nuisance to neighbours by the incessant kicking of balls over the fence and damaging garden items, property and persons daily. - They're CHILDREN. They aren't doing it deliberately.

Indeed, some might even "do it on purpose" as they are !!!!!! bullies who gain great glee from ruining the lives of those closest to them. This could, in some cases, be regarded as a "hate crime" if it's done with malice.

A hate crime? No.
  • Guest101
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think the police still have the right to decide for themselves what is time-wasting, what requires some response and what that action might be.

Not sure about the poloce.

I doubt if they will send an armed unit, but maybe just a PCSO having a word would have some effect on the situation.

Or, and it's radical, but it just might work.... go and talk to them yourselves.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure