Suspended but asked what I did wrong

Options
Hi all,

A couple of weeks after the birth of my daughter I was suspended from work. They actually initiated it all the day before we went into hospital. When they emailed the request I asked what it was about as I was stressed and they said they had a couple of things to talk about and ended the mail with a smiley face.

I was told I was being suspended due to an allegation into a breach of trust and confidentiality but not further details were given.

There is a second allegation into attitude and behaviour but that's not what the suspension is about.

I had to think hard what this could be and came up with something quite insignificant but in black and white could meet this description.

At the investigation meeting I still wasn't told but was asked to tell them what I thought it might be. So I told them, but isn't this a tad unfair? I may be completely wrong and am just giving them evidence?

They also didn't ask me the reason, or background, Which caused me to do what I did , but reworded what I said using the word knowingly, which it was not.

Apologies if this is too cryptic

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    madfiddler wrote: »
    Hi all,

A couple of weeks after the birth of my daughter I was suspended from work. They actually initiated it all the day before we went into hospital. When they emailed the request I asked what it was about as I was stressed and they said they had a couple of things to talk about and ended the mail with a smiley face.

I was told I was being suspended due to an allegation into a breach of trust and confidentiality but not further details were given.

There is a second allegation into attitude and behaviour but that's not what the suspension is about.

I had to think hard what this could be and came up with something quite insignificant but in black and white could meet this description.

At the investigation meeting I still wasn't told but was asked to tell them what I thought it might be. So I told them, but isn't this a tad unfair? I may be completely wrong and am just giving them evidence?

They also didn't ask me the reason, or background, Which caused me to do what I did , but reworded what I said using the word knowingly, which it was not.

Apologies if this is too cryptic
    How long ago was this?

And it is to cryptic to get much help I'm afraid but what I will say is either your employer is very stupid to try something on whilst you're on maternity leave or they have a very strong case.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

There wouldn't have been much point in them asking why you did something if you were claiming not to know what that something was.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    How long ago was this?

And it is to cryptic to get much help I'm afraid but what I will say is either your employer is very stupid to try something on whilst you're on maternity leave or they have a very strong case.
    Isn't it strange - I didn't once assume that this was someone on maternity leave. I assumed paternity leave.
    But either way, if there is something to investigate, being on leave doesn't halt that. Pat that, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the post is about or what advice is being asked for. On this amount of information no advice would be worth having - it couldn't be remotely accurate.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Isn't it strange - I didn't once assume that this was someone on maternity leave. I assumed paternity leave.
    But either way, if there is something to investigate, being on leave doesn't halt that. Pat that, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the post is about or what advice is being asked for. On this amount of information no advice would be worth having - it couldn't be remotely accurate.
    Actually, re-reading this I suspect your assumption is correct!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question broadly speaking seems to be about whether the approach taken by the employer is fair. In that respect this is clearly an investigation, so they're not necessarily going to know everything about the situation before they ask you (and potentially others) about it. At the same time, there must be something there in order for them to decide to suspend you. In my view having you turn up to a meeting and asking you what you think it is about isn't the right way to go about things. If they have a suspicion or allegation, they should be putting that to you. That said, the meeting isn't an end in and of itself. They now have to make a decision as to what to do going forwards (i.e. proceed with a disciplinary process or not). The fairness of the process as a whole is better judged in the context of what they do next and why they do it. So notwithstanding any criticism that could be put to them regarding how they handled that first meeting, it's difficult to draw any overarching conclusions at this point.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • madfiddler
    madfiddler Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses.

This was indeed paternity, with the original meeting request happening early May, and the interview at the end.

There has obviously been an allegation made which they are classifying as the trust and confidence, but they will not tell me what the actual allegation that they are investigating is. This is what I find a tad strange.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    It isn't uncommon to not disclose the allegation, if that is all you are asking. And there's nothing wrong with asking you what you think it's about. If you don't know, that is the answer. If you choose to disclose something, then that isn't their problem. They didn't do anything wrong on asking, if that is all you are wanting to know.
  • madfiddler
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

What did you do that for? You had nothing to gain from telling them what you thought it might be but a lot to lose. Really in any situation your answer should be "I don't know."
  • madfiddler
    Options
    Yep, agreed, but when you're on the spot.... and perhaps slightly naive.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure