How to get out of this debt

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    bsod wrote: »
    You don't say:rotfl:

The point I'm making is, no matter how economical you are with the water you consume, you still have to pay for the other services, so you will never get your water rates to be very cheap.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm also in the SW and no matter how careful you are with the water (we are on meter) it's still horrendous.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would agree. Ours has just gone up to £48 for just 2 of us and we are economical with water. We live in Cornwall. Not even washed the cars this summer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    The point I'm making is, no matter how economical you are with the water you consume, you still have to pay for the other services, so you will never get your water rates to be very cheap.

Like any other metering system, what you use has a direct bearing on what you pay, so unfortunately your point is misguided. The fixed charges and surface water drainage charges are less than £50
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Why is the southwest so expensive compared to other areas for water then?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 8:22PM
    Options
    bsod wrote: »
    Like any other metering system, what you use has a direct bearing on what you pay, so unfortunately your point is misguided. The fixed charges and surface water drainage charges are less than £50
    I think perhaps you are not aware of quite how high the costs applicable to water in the South West of England are. The OP says that they have been advised at a meter would not save them money, and sadly for them, in that area, I strongly suspect they are right. As a contrast our water rates in Essex are roughly half what they are paying. On the face of it your assertion is correct - however it doesn't always apply in practice.
    Why is the southwest so expensive compared to other areas for water then?

Here you go -THIS is what South West Water have to say about it.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 8:23PM
    Options
    area, population density, topography

I am aware.

If people think that the words 'south west' suddenly means that a household can't save money with a water meter, they are misguided.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I live in Bristol. (Does that count as SW) and our family of 4 pay £29/month on a meter for water.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Jon_B wrote: »
    I live in Bristol. (Does that count as SW) and our family of 4 pay £29/month on a meter for water.

I don't think Bristol comes under SW Water. We have a water meter for 2 of us in Cornwall and our water bill is now £58 per month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And I thought my water rates were bad, at £32-odd per month, over 10 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure