PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chocolate Fountain - any tips!

Comments

• dm1465
    dm1465 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hi, we have got a chocolate fountain for at home and I always use the Aldi milk chocolate, I think it is about 49p for a 250g bar, it tastes really nice, much like the famous brand in the purple wrapper! With mine you have to use oil as well and the trick is to get an oil with as little flavour in as possible, again I use the Aldi or Lidl vegetable oil. Hope you have a fab wedding. xx
    Friday April 9th 2010 the day I become Mrs Jones!

Weight loss campaign! 26th November - 10st 8lb:eek: Need to lose a stone!
    1st December - 10st 4lb
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Asda choc is 25p for 100g and works well in a fondue. Might be worth making a small batch first and testing before you invest.

I think Lakeland offer tasters of all their sweets if you ask at the till. :)
  • cjp_2
    cjp_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    thank you all for your replies - will try and sample and let you know!
    :o Weight loss so far :
    Week 1 - 4.5lbs
    Week 2 - 2.5lbs = 7lbs
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

We received a chocolate fountain as a Christmas present and now my DDs want to use it tomorrow on New Years Eve. I looked in the instructions and it needs 2lbs :eek: of chocolate to work well. And it says to use chocolate with 40% cocoa solids. Went to Asda and bought 6 bars, wasn't cheap.

So now my question is: Assuming we don't use all 2lbs of chocolate tomorrow night and there will some left over, what do I do with it?? It will be a waste just to chuck it out. If I let it go hard, will I be able to melt it again? I thought of covering a cake with the melted chocolate or a traybake. What else can I do with it? Will I be able to put it on a cake and freeze it??

Any other suggestions very welcome please
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    When we used dd's chocolate fountain we added single cream to help the chocolate run smoothly through the fountain (I think they usually recommend oil) anyway I put the leftover chocolate/cream mixture in the fridge and it became fudge like and would have been great on a cake or buns. I suppose you could add condensed milk to anything left over, boil it up and turn it into a fudge. Nigella makes a pistachio fudge roughly like that.

Hope that helps
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903
    Forumite
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    When we used dd's chocolate fountain we added single cream to help the chocolate run smoothly through the fountain (I think they usually recommend oil) anyway I put the leftover chocolate/cream mixture in the fridge and it became fudge like and would have been great on a cake or buns. I suppose you could add condensed milk to anything left over, boil it up and turn it into a fudge. Nigella makes a pistachio fudge roughly like that.

Hope that helps

Great idea about the cream, I didn't fancy puting oil in it. thanks :T
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    We've done it with oil and when it set it was a bit like chocolate spread which DSs loved in sandwiches. Not exactly healthy but there you go!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    I put the leftover chocolate/cream mixture in the fridge and it became fudge like and would have been great on a cake or buns. I suppose you could add condensed milk to anything left over, boil it up and turn it into a fudge. Nigella makes a pistachio fudge roughly like that.

Drooooooool !!:j
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875
    Forumite
    Could I have a few tips. I bought one from the Entertainer for £10 and want to use it for my son's bday this weekend. I won't have a chance to try it out first so
    1) can i use mid-price choc without adding oil?
    2) do i need to melt it first
    3) how long before the party do i need to start it
    4) how long can i keep it running
    it would really help if you could give me some tips!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hello rovers

This subject has been discussed in the 'Old Style' board, for example in this thread:

Chocolate Fountain - any tips!

I'll move your thread across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure