PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    vqmismatch wrote: »
    Whats wrong with locking an animal outside all day?

So long as they are not likely to cause a nusicence I fail to see the issue. Consider farm cats and dogs who live outside all year. If the cat was howling at the neighbours all day I agree it is not acceptable.

Certainly of the cats I've lived around I'd sooner have one locked permanently outside than inside. Dogs and rabbits can also be kept very well as outside pets.

Given the cat has presumably had a mixed indoor/outdoor life it sounds like the right decision has been made to rehome it.

Back to the OP I'd try and sit it out. The cat is sorted out and it may turn out to be a nice enough place to live. If not just pay up for the rest of the lease and move out.

Farm cats and dogs don't live outside, they have barns or pet pens to live in.
  • Thank you very much for your honesty and the time taken to reply to my thread.
  • Of course farm cats and dogs spend most of their time outside..
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Farm cats and dogs don't live outside, they have barns or pet pens to live in.

And as a home checker for a number of dog rescues, my instruction is to report any sign that a resident pet is kept outside, as that means instant refusal. Except for a few dogs who do prefer being outside (notably street dogs brought from Rumania), the majority are home comfort lovers ,so rescues choose owners willing to offer indoor accommodation.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    And as a home checker for a number of dog rescues, my instruction is to report any sign that a resident pet is kept outside, as that means instant refusal. Except for a few dogs who do prefer being outside (notably street dogs brought from Rumania), the majority are home comfort lovers ,so rescues choose owners willing to offer indoor accommodation.

Loads of cats in this country spend a lot of their time out and about. Its perfectly legal and it doesn't mean they don't spend time in their houses. There are lots of things that the OP has done badly but letting his cat out is not one of them!
  • Excuse me? What have I done badly?
  • With respect, dogs and cats are different.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Excuse me? What have I done badly?

You have antagonised your neighbours and you got rid of your poor cat like it was an old piece of furniture you didn't have room for anymore.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Send a advanced notice to quit dated one month + one day before the tenancy expires .

Or buy out the contract period from the landlord.

Can you leave without paying, I doubt it unless the landlord grants you some good will
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Oh wow. Thank you for your honesty I suppose. How have I antagonised my neighbours?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure