New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Comments

• This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Good luck, This Year :)

Have just been emailed the rota for next week and i have 14 hours :) They have said that that will be my weekly clients, but that if i want a few extra i just have to say so. At the moment i am not doing any work on a Tuesday as i have allocated that day as a paperwork day. But i may see if i can get a few private clients in on that day.

Thank you :)

I'm torn between jumping for joy that it's happening and absolute terror that it's happening! :rotfl:

Hope you can get a few more clients of your own.
  • bellkat
    bellkat Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I had a surprising letter from Housing Benefits yesterday, to say that I will get full rent and council tax benefit paid. I only expected tp get part paid, so it was a nice surprise.

They don't include NEA when working out income, just tax credits and anything else, I have a small pension.

After initially just getting a couple of small orders in, this week 3 large orders have come through. I had a bit of a panic because my daughter, who will help with large orders has gone on holiday, but its all on track to get them out on time.

As to the earlier posts regarding hours worked, I have spent lots of time this week emailing back and forward with these orders. I hadn't really anticipated this before orders started coming in. I definitely class that as part of my working hours, as an employee in a paid job would!!!
    New Year New You Challenge - 13.5lbs/10lbs

Spring Into Spring Challenge-2.5lbs/10lbs

Slimming World Total Loss - 2 stone 3lbs
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    This_Year wrote: »
    Thank you :)

I'm torn between jumping for joy that it's happening and absolute terror that it's happening! :rotfl:

Hope you can get a few more clients of your own.

I can relate! I have wanted to be self-employed for so long (hence my username!) and now it's actually happening i can't quite believe the terror that i feel!
    I am very lucky that the agency found my ad and contacted me, as it's made the transition reasonably smooth and i dont have to wait for the NEA.
    I hope it's OK that i still post on here though, i may start a self-employment thread if needs be.

Once the kids are back at school, i will be looking for private clients to fill that Tuesday i think, as the extra money will be nice.
    The local newsagents let you put ads up in the window for 50p a week, so i will do that first :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    For those that want to know about HB and CTS as a self-employed person.
    I asked the Housing Benefit Officer who frequents these boards, how they work out Housing Benefit and CTS for the newly Self-Employed, and this is what he said:

I ask for a projection of income - then use that figure for 3 months - 3 months time I ask for 3 months self employed income and expenditure - repeat every 3 months until I have 1 years self employed figures - once I have 1 years figure I use the last years figures to calculate the coming years benefit. Most benefit departments should use a similar method in calculating benefit entitlement for the newly self employed.

I can also confirm that my local council use this method too, as i have just spoken to them on the phone. They are sending me out a small form to fill in, an estimate of my first 13 weeks income from SE.
  • s450
    s450 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Today finally I hade the appointment with my adviser who filled up the form and sent to the business adviser per fax. I should be contacted on next Monday to arrange an appointment.
    So, up to now I have been lucky since some of you mentioned that it might not work well with the NEA in my case since I have been on JSA just for less than 3 months.
    So, a reason to :beer:
    Now I have to prepare myself for the meeting with the business adviser. What are the things I should prepare in advance and what am I going to do with ihm? How often will I meet ihm. Will he really help me develop a good business-plan?
  • This_Year
    Day 2 of my course (it had to be the hottest day of the year, no air con and in a stuffy room at the top of the building, of course... hey ho) and I think it is really good. Lots to learn, humungous workpack to complete. Met my business adviser and arranged my appointment to discuss my business plan, cash flow and personal survival budget.
  • This_Year
    s450 wrote: »
    Today finally I hade the appointment with my adviser who filled up the form and sent to the business adviser per fax. I should be contacted on next Monday to arrange an appointment.
    So, up to now I have been lucky since some of you mentioned that it might not work well with the NEA in my case since I have been on JSA just for less than 3 months.
    So, a reason to :beer:
    Now I have to prepare myself for the meeting with the business adviser. What are the things I should prepare in advance and what am I going to do with ihm? How often will I meet ihm. Will he really help me develop a good business-plan?

You were eligible for NEA from day 1 of your JSA claim.

I had my business plan mostly written before I went on the course, it just needs a bit of tweaking here and there.

No idea how often you will meet your business adviser - think it varies.

btw your business adviser might be female :p both my adviser and the course tutor are.
  • CuriousWorker
    CuriousWorker Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2013 at 8:44AM
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

There was so much messing around trying to get accepted for it (which took months and months) that by the time I was actually accepted the summer holidays were about to start - not good considering my target customer base was schools and colleges who I now cannot contact until September! Yep, no customer base until at least September!

Then when I signed off I was left with NO INCOME for the following 3 weeks, not even to live off, and so all I could do was promote my business through word of mouth, hand out business cards, make phone calls, etc and try to drum up some custom (which didn't go very well at all) whilst staying hungry.

Then I was told that although I qualified for Housing Benefit run-on it would be suspended the following month until I provide all requested data (which I don't even have yet) - I provided everything I've got several weeks ago and have still not heard anything from my local council - MY HOUSING BENEFIT IS STILL SUSPENDED and my landlord is freaking the (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) out - I'll be lucky if I haven't been evicted by this time next month!

On top of all this, after 5 weeks I received a letter from NEA asking for evidence that I have been "meaningfully engaged in self employment for more than 16 hours per week" - considering I had no income or funding for the business for the first 3 weeks this leaves just 2 weeks of active trading to prove yet I had very little money to put into the business during those 2 weeks as I have not (yet) had the NEA loan and to be quite honest I have no idea at all how to even apply for it. In fact, things have gone so badly I don't think I'll bother applying because if I can't pay it back then I'll just end up in debt (I was in debt for over 10 years and have only just managed to clear it, more debt is the last thing I need right now).

So, I've had to take all my documents to the council who are just leaving me in limbo with my HB suspended, at the same time I have to send those documents off by post to NEA who have not even acknowledged that they've received them and the council are also probably going to ask to see them again in a month or two's time when NEA are still in possession of them. Additionally, NEA have my bookings diary, my receipts/invoices, my accounts, etc and so I can't do anything with them until I get them back.

I registered for self assessment, was sent an activation code, etc and received a claim pack for WTC. However, this whole scheme has been such a complete mess and things have gone so badly I'm not sure if I would even be entitled to claim WTC if I can't prove that I've done any work. Additionally, I haven't set up self assessment yet because I'm pretty damn sure that A4E (who are handling NEA in my area - badly as usual) are probably going to try to kick me off NEA anyway and so I don't want to go ahead setting this all up if it's going to be a waste of time.

And to put the icing on the cake, I have received a letter from HMRC asking me to do a tax return even though I haven't even activated my self assessment yet. (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Andy2013
    Andy2013 Posts: 211 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2013 at 8:44AM
    Im in 2 opinions about what you have said as clearly its going very much to the book and they are doing things I guess properly but at least they are doing there job.

I am 3 weeks away from finishing NEA and STILL have not heard a word from my scheme since January so which scheme is doing the job best.

I am sure you think yours is being a pain in the !!! and to be honest they do sound a little to much but then you look at mine and they make no contact in any way and it begs the question if mine scheme should even be running as they clearly are making money out of it, but are not providing any kind of support network.

As for HB I don't get it as I rent private in a couple so don't qualify ,but this sounds like either a (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) or a very unforgiving council.

WTC are based on the previous years income and like we have said a million times if your setting up a business you MUST be doing at least 30 hours + to make a real go of it so WTC are not a problem , you hopefully can get the " Basic element" which is evaluated via last years income ( if you were on JSA for the year you qualify automatically) and then the WTC 30+ Element is purely down to the honesty and integrity of the applicant as to whether you tick the box to get it.

They don't check but anyone starting a business should be working there !!! off , well over the 30 hours.

When my 3 weeks are finished I am publicly naming and shaming my "scheme" as my experience has been shocking and I also think NEA is a pile of (Text removed by MSE Forum Team).
  • CuriousWorker
    CuriousWorker Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2013 at 9:20AM
    They may appear to be doing things more "by the book" than yours are, but they're definitely not doing it properly and additionally I have been severely misinformed about the whole scheme right from the start - as far as I can tell it has all been lies lies lies and I'm absolutely disgusted by it.

The mentoring was non-existent, they just sent me somewhere else for mentoring then when I saw my Jobcentre advisor she was of the opinion that I had NOT had any mentoring. So, despite having 8 weeks of mentoring from someone not even associated with NEA (who the NEA advisor sent me to) I had to have ANOTHER 8 weeks mentoring which basically took us near enough into the summer holidays - when the schools and colleges close - too late to contact them. They have completely undermined my business plan when they themselves approved that very same business plan.

Additionally, they have NOT provided any kind of support - I had to find my own mentor, they did not provide one and the only form of contact they have had with me since I started is to request evidence for the 6 week review (by post, not in person). Now they have all my documents and paperwork which I need to try to get the business going and I also need to supply them to other people who are inconveniently requesting to see them - the whole thing is a HUGE (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). How the (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) am I supposed to get the job done when they all want to keep snatching the paperwork, job diary, documents, records, etc away from me all the time? It's absolutely ridiculous.

The scheme has caused me way more problems than it has helped with. I'm 100% certain that if I had not bothered with NEA and had just signed off at the right time and gone it alone I would have been off to a much better start (apart from the Housing Benefit thing). NEA can only be described as problematic at best.

Even when I signed off JSA and over onto NEA it was a case of being messed around for months on end not knowing what was going on then walking into the jobcentre one day, signing off completely unexpectedly and just being left to it not knowing what happens next. And to make matters even worse no-one has provided me with the NEA loan referral document so I cannot even apply for the loan!

The whole thing is an utter disgrace and is actually making me feel extremely depressed. I wanted to go self-employed, not lose entitlement to all benefits and end up (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) homeless and having my income stopped. You try to do something with your life in this country and all they do is (Text removed by MSE Forum Team). It's no surprise that this country is completely (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) if this is how it works, they're driving it into the ground themselves and it's (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) poor pathetic.

As for claiming WTC, I feel completely and utterly disillusioned by the whole NEA scheme and don't know if i'm going to continue with it. If I make a claim now I'll probably end up being kicked off NEA in a few days anyway and so that'll just be another complete waste of time and will be just another problem to sort out.

For the same reason I'm reluctant to activate my self-assessment. I don't want to be registered as self employed, claiming WTC and having to do a tax return if they're just going to (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) me over anyway because then THEY will be making it look as though I'm trying to claim dishonestly due to their own absolutely mind-baffling incompetence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure