Eon - Customer loyalty??

Comments

• Smodlet wrote: »
    That's hilarious, Malc and fredandwilma, thanks.

Good luck with your mother's move, Malc... I have never actually been with Eon; I think y'all and SP are the only ones of the big six I have not been with... bit of tariff ho' but it's all about the money saving. :D

I can still remember how horrible EDF were, not doing them again (I do have some standards) :rotfl:

Thanks Smodlet. Think I'm going to need it. :)

Have a good weekend.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • My advice to her would be to consult a comparison site and find the best deal for herself, not forgetting to consider seperate suppliers as they will often allow someone to save even more

the post is from her own comparison, she's elderly and not very good with internet , so asked me to help her
    Nice to save.
  • I have simplified it a bit - I hope

gas comparison

Supplier
    first-utility
    Tariff name
    First Fixed November 2017 v2 Online
    Tariff type
    Fixed
    Payment Method
    Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate
    2.326p per kWh
    Standing charge
    11.151p per day
    Tariff ends on
    30 Nov 2017
    Price guaranteed until
    30 Nov 2017
    Exit fees (if you cancel this tariff before the end date)
    £30
    Discounts
    None
    Additional products or services included
    None
    Illustrative gas cost on this tariff
    Based on the usage figures you gave us, this is the estimated cost you'll pay for the next year.

Average UK usage
    Based on your usage
    Assumed annual consumption
    12500 kWh
    12536 kWh
    Estimated annual cost
    £331
    £332
    Tariff comparison rate
    2.65p per kWh
    2.65p per kWh

Supplier
    British Gas
    Tariff name
    Collective Fix Oct 2017
    Tariff type
    Fixed
    Payment Method
    Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate
    2.562p per kWh
    Standing charge
    21.809p per day
    Tariff ends on
    03 Oct 2017
    Price guaranteed until
    03 Oct 2017
    £20
    Discounts
    £15.00 Dual Fuel discount.
    None
    Based on the usage figures you gave us, this is the estimated cost you'll pay for the next year.

Average UK usage
    Based on your usage
    12500 kWh
    12536 kWh
    Estimated annual cost
    £398
    £393
    Tariff comparison rate
    3.18p per kWh
    3.14p per kWh

electricity comparison
    Supplier
    first-utility
    Tariff name
    First Fixed November 2017 v2 Online
    Tariff type
    Fixed
    Payment Method
    Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate
    2.326p per kWh
    Standing charge
    11.151p per day
    Tariff ends on
    30 Nov 2017
    Price guaranteed until
    30 Nov 2017
    £30
    Discounts
    None
    None

Average UK usage
    Based on your usage
    12500 kWh
    12536 kWh
    Estimated annual cost
    £331
    £332
    Tariff comparison rate
    2.65p per kWh
    2.65p per kWh

Supplier
    British Gas
    Tariff name
    Collective Fix Oct 2017
    Tariff type
    Fixed
    Payment Method
    Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit rate
    2.562p per kWh
    Standing charge
    21.809p per day
    Tariff ends on
    03 Oct 2017
    Price guaranteed until
    03 Oct 2017
    £20
    Discounts
    £15.00 Dual Fuel discount.
    None

Average UK usage
    Based on your usage
    12500 kWh
    12536 kWh
    Estimated annual cost
    £398
    £393
    Tariff comparison rate
    3.18p per kWh
    3.14p per kWh

I hope this is clearer if anyone can advise which one to go for bearing in mind she will get £30 cashback if she goes for british gas
    thanks
    Nice to save.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Smodlet. Think I'm going to need it. :)

Have a good weekend.

Malc

You, too, Malc. If all companies charged the same price, it would be Eon all the way... but life is not like that.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    See this article on BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37521168 -not just EON:mad:
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Cardew wrote: »
    Could someone, directly affected by EON's decision to disadvantage existing customers, attempt to get 'Watchdog' or similar to feature it in their programme?

Looks like today's Money Box program on Radio 4 will be covering this today
    Existing energy customers with E.ON, SSE, EDF and British Gas have found themselves locked out of attractively priced tariffs because those deals are only available to new joiners. In 2014, following a series of energy mis-selling scandals, Ofgem created a rule which effectively banned suppliers from excluding existing customers. However in April this year the regulator announced that it no longer planned to enforce that rule, meaning a new generation of tariffs which ignore existing customers have surfaced.

Regards
    Sunil
  • I used MSE's Collective Tariff with E-ON over the past year, and sought to avoid the huge hike to Standard Variable Tariff when this ends. I had issues ( legacy SmartMeters supposed to work with E-On but didn't; physical problems then reading those meters and posting readings online ). Eventually one CS operative escalated my 'conversation' to a Complaints Handling Manager. They both did a very good job in trying to resolve. Topline CS work. But they couldn't do anything about tariff changes or advice on what was available to existing E-ON clients like me, referring me to their Tariff Team. I tried multiple times to contact this team, and on each occasion I was 'shunted' off.... the line disengaged, a known trick of Call Centre staff. I found through 'spies' that they haven't the numbers of staff to handle the thousands of disgruntled MSE Collective types trying to switching their contracts..... nor do they have the staff or incentive to deal with the expected huge surge of complaints when E-ON DON'T END their automated Direct Debit demands when expected. That will cause 'double billing'. It is suspected that thousands will be put onto E-ON's Standard Variable Tariff and so billed - autmatically - even when they have sought to initiate a switch elsewhere.

There's a 'time bomb' ticking here, and I'd like the MSE wonks to use some preventive leverage BEFORE the problem hits the headlines.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Today 12:04 Radio 4.

The show segment seems to be eerily similar to this thread.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Note it's version 2, not v1.

For my post code.

Gas 1.607p per kWh,
    Standing Charge 66.654p
    Exit penalty £30.00

Electricity 8.736p
    Standing Charge 32.981p
    Exit Penalty £30

You have to admire its audacity.

The ultra slim gas unit rate is totally out paced by the outrageous gas standing charge. I will lose on the gas if I switched.

Amazingly, they seem to have miscalculated, because I will make it back on the electricity, because I charge my hybrid on single rate electricity.

The only concern is, if I pay £60 penalty to switch now, what happens next year? I will not able to switch to another cheap E.On tariff, so it will be another £60 to switch away. Might as well stay put at Scottish Power.

It is tempting to turn the central heating up to 24 degrees because gas is 1.607p per kWh. Has it ever been THAT cheap?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pincher wrote: »
    The only concern is, if I pay £60 penalty to switch now, what happens next year? I will not able to switch to another cheap E.On tariff, so it will be another £60 to switch away. Might as well stay put at Scottish Power.

Switching between different Eon tariffs doesn't attract any early termination penalties- they only come into play if you switch to a different supplier while in contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure