Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    What survey sites are you using? How often?

I've gotten 1,000 Virgin Flying Club Miles via eRewards, but there are not many surveys and it takes too long to get enough to redeem.

~ 25k miles is a lot and I'm interested to know :)

Last year, I got 12,770 from Rewards for Thoughts, and my partner got 2725.

I also got 6,750 from e-rewards and my partner got 2,750

First five months of this year, we got 16,000 from e-rewards and 8,500 from Rewards for Thoughts.

I've more or less stopped for now as I've got nearly 200,000 Avios banked.

I am time rich as I have retired, so I couldn't tell you how long it took, but I would guess about 200 Avios an hour on average, so probably 3 hours a week.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Vehlin wrote: »
    So that's an additional 30,000 Avios for £195 which is 65p per Avios.
    Really?

Of course not. I make it 0.65p (or £0.0065) using those figures.
  • Roger1 wrote: »
    Really?

Of course not. I make it 0.65p (or £0.0065) using those figures.

You're right, I was off by a couple of zeros there. It does further reinforce my point however, that there's really no point in getting the free BA Amex.
  • where do you earn 25K points on surveys?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    roy_scott wrote: »
    where do you earn 25K points on surveys?
    Scroll up a bit, that very question was answered three posts before yours in post #122....
  • Does anyone know if there is an Avios or British airways Visa? There used to be one with TSB but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.
  • Nick_C
    Does anyone know if there is an Avios or British airways Visa? There used to be one with TSB but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

There are no UK avios visa cards.

There is the Lloyd's Amex/MC twin pack, which can be very good value for many people. You need to be quick though as it is being withdrawn. Now available over the phone or in branch. No longer available on line.
  • Treva
    Treva Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I was so exited when I got my AMEX card so I could get cheap flights and companion flights. What happens in reality is a different tale. Lets start with getting a flight with BA, which is one of the most expensive airlines in the world. After you have trawled through numerous dates and options you will most certainly find a flight cheaper by booking via an online travel broker with a better or comparable airline and without the worry of having to remember to pay off the credit card before it stings you. Reason it's cheaper at an online agent is because BA will charge you taxes, which is fair enough but it's not transparent then add to the supposedly free flight with BA fees.

Now lets move onto the so called free companion flight. You need to book a flight using BA Avios for yourself when you eventually find one and pay the associated tax and add on fees. Then hopefully find another Avios flight at the same time and in the same cabin class for your companion and then, you've guessed it pay another set of taxes and mysterious fees, each way. When you find a flight in say one cabin class on the way out you will find that in most cases be no flights in the same cabin class for your return, which forces you to pay an upgraded price or down grade as the case may be again for both you and your companion. Yes, the companion voucher is valid for a year before it cancels out but in that year you will still have to go with your companion on any flight and in the same cabin class in that year.

Ok so most European flight charge only around £35 each way in extra taxes plus your Avios Air miles but as it's only about three hours max you can pay about the same price on a budget airline without going through the same crazy rigmarole and from your local airport.
    :beer:
  • Nick_C
    "Ba amex card -is it worth it?"

Yes. If you want to fly Club World or First at an affordable price.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 June 2018 at 3:54AM
    Nick_C wrote: »
    "Ba amex card -is it worth it?"

Yes. If you want to fly Club World or First at an affordable price.

... or one way long haul economy, or certain European routes at prime times (e.g. skiing hotspots during school holidays).....

Basically, as you will find said all over the place if you bother to do the most rudimentary research before collecting hundreds of thousands of Avios, they can be great value if you know how to use them, but don't just think "Oh I'll get a free flight to xxxx next year".

For beginners to intermediate tips see the headforpoints site, and for advanced discussions see flyertalk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure