'Certified Cheque' Scam?

2»

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Valli wrote: »
    Bit of memory loss there - I've helped out;)

LOL!

Well, it was the memory loss that got me into this state in the first place!
  • soolin -

Regarding 2-4-6 cheque clearance I was agreeing with the other posts. So YES I did read them. As only one other post had specifically mentioned this (another providing a link) and another saying something different I though it okay to do so - sorry if this upset you.
    The 2-4-6 information is quite clear and easily found on most bank's websites. I am assuming perhaps wrongly that the seller is in the UK and the buyer, if they are going to pick it up, is also in the UK so therefore the 2-4-6 cheque clearance will apply.

I was not suggesting that I actually know what they meant if they had made a simple language error just that a language error was possible. I have come across plenty of buyer's on ebay that have got mixed up between different payment methods, although the majority of these have been overseas buyers or buyers who don't have english as a first language.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    soolin -

Regarding 2-4-6 cheque clearance I was agreeing with the other posts. So YES I did read them. As only one other post had specifically mentioned this (another providing a link) and another saying something different I though it okay to do so - sorry if this upset you.
    The 2-4-6 information is quite clear and easily found on most bank's websites. I am assuming perhaps wrongly that the seller is in the UK and the buyer, if they are going to pick it up, is also in the UK so therefore the 2-4-6 cheque clearance will apply.

I was not suggesting that I actually know what they meant if they had made a simple language error just that a language error was possible. I have come across plenty of buyer's on ebay that have got mixed up between different payment methods, although the majority of these have been overseas buyers or buyers who don't have english as a first language.

I realise that you posted about the 2-4-6 scheme but you then went on to say "the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back" . That is of course not the case if the cheque falls within the 2-4-6 scheme as day 6 is when it clears definitely for fraud.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chja
    chja Posts: 913 Forumite
    There is no such thing as a "certified cheque".

They may mean a cheque backed by a cheque guarantee card - if you are accepting that then you need to make sure that you compare the bank account details on the card to the cheque, as well as the signature, and that you personally write the guarantee number on the back. If it comes with the guarantee number already written on, then it could still be returned.

On the 2-4-6 scheme, the cheque is cleared on day 6- no exceptions for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure