Paper free - what documents can I safely get rid of?

Hi guys,

I recently bought one of these PDF paper scanners (a Fujitsu one as it goes). It's a fantastic device and worth every penny of it's pricey £300+ price tag. The net result is now everything is organised wonderfully on my PC and backed up to my Dropbox.

My question relates to documents regarding property - mortgage documents including documents that were given at exchange of contract etc. What can I scan and shred and what *must* I keep?

Comments

• Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    I am also eager to hear the answer to this as I am in an identical situation.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • nads205
    nads205 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Anyone must be someone here who can help.

Moderator - feel free to move this thread to a more relevant forum if you feel it will help?

Thanks.
  • I would not shred property documents end of.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Gentoo365
    Gentoo365 Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Why shred them? It's not like they will take up much space.

Given that it is in the lenders best interest to keep records itself (to avoid future claims) and it is also in their best interest to ensure that the house purchase was legal and compliant you could in theory shred everything.

However when you come to sell you may save a bit of money, time and effort if you have paper copies of all the legal faff in case it is requested by a solicitor.

I know that most banks and insurance companies scan all documents for ease of access, but then still box them all up and store them in big warehouses just in case. So there must be some legal benefit to having 'originals'.
  • While documents have always been important in the history of humankind since the first use of stone tablets, sometimes they contain sensitive information that could cause tremendous problems if they got into the wrong hands. For instance, documents with information about your social security number, past addresses and phone numbers, credit card information, bank statements, and financial records could be used for identity theft.:j
  • Fair enough I will keep them for now!

I just don't see the need to keep the clutter if you can keep an electronic copy that's all.
  • For all it is, couple bits of paper. If you shred them you may regret it, if you don't shred you are not as likely to regret holding onto them.
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure