Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

I'd like to earn some extra income by doing some maths tutoring. I have a maths degree and a masters degree in another subject. I also helped my sister through her maths A-level.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to what I should do, how much to charge, where to advertise, whether I should get any further training...

TIA

threadbanner.gif
*removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*

Comments

• If you're planning on working with children it's always a good idea to get a CRB check done, which proves you have no convictions which might put a child at risk - unfortunately it doesn't seem that you can get one done yourself. Perhaps you could start off with an agency?

Ask at a local school for advice too!
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    An agency would ask for some sort of teaching experience (though not necessarily a PGCE).

I tutor students up to GCSE (I am currently studying towards my PGCE), and have got my students through recommendation. Because I am gaining experience as well as helping the student, I only charge £5 an hour. However, this is supplemented by endless gifts from the students - one always brings me Ben and Jerrys and a magazine! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Thanks. I'll look and see if there's any agencies who are hiring.

dmg, are you studying for your PGCE part-time? I'm also interested in a career change and I've been thinking about going into adult education.
  • £5 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sell yourself short £18 -£20 is the going rate.

Enhanced CRB checks are essential though, I wouldn't let a stranger teach my kids without one. If you do any part time teaching/lecturing, the school or college will get one (eventually).
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When my son asked for a maths tutor I used our local paper paid £6 per hour if you booked 10 hours or £8.50 if single hours. I spoke to several people before deciding on one. Got names from our local paper.

A friend works for an agency teaching French to A level. They take a third of the hourly rate, so she tries to find students privatly... works out better for her.
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Ystrad_Lad wrote: »
    £5 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sell yourself short £18 -£20 is the going rate.

Enhanced CRB checks are essential though, I wouldn't let a stranger teach my kids without one. If you do any part time teaching/lecturing, the school or college will get one (eventually).

I charge £30 per hour :o and I'm not charging more than anyone else in the area - a prestigious university and higher degree helps, London it can be up to £40 - I don't do too much though too little time but once you get one you'll get half a dozen from the same school knocking at your door... stick to one school if you can - one syllabus to keep changing... after the first month I did this I've consistently had to turn far more down than I accept or Mrs. BB would tolerate :rolleyes: I'm only prepared to do it in a family area in the parental home with parents there - some people will suggest you go upstairs with their 15 yr old daughter so they can watch the telly :eek: - don't. Agencies take around 30% in my experience - good way to start.
  • bucksliz
    bucksliz Posts: 162 Forumite
    If you live in an area where the 11 plus is still around you can charge £25-£35 per hour just to 'babysit' the children whist they sit past papers. You can download the papers on-line and take several children at once. I know of a tutor locally who takes up to 10 at a time (all at the above rates) Our head teacher at the local primary says that's where she's going when she retires. There's money to be made out there!
  • I have a maths degree and a masters degree in another subject.

Cool. Which uni did you go to? What was the other subject?
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    I'm pretty fluent in French and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening, its just sitting the bloomin exams that I seem to be naff at (I am gutted with my C at A-Level but have an A* GCSE) reckon this would be any good to tutor??

Also got a degree in geography - reckon there is much call for tutors? probably not :(

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• Cool. Which uni did you go to? What was the other subject?

Maths at Warwick. Manufacturing at Cranfield.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport