ESA support group - how long?

If you're placed in the support group for ESA, based on medical evidence only, no ATOS interview, how long does that last for, please?
Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.

Comments

• it can vary from what the decision maker thinks how long your condition will affect you, if you ring the jobcentre they maybe able to tell you how long you have been put in the support group
  • ab.da54
    ab.da54 Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    it can vary from what the decision maker thinks how long your condition will affect you, if you ring the jobcentre they maybe able to tell you how long you have been put in the support group

Thank you.

I had thought it would have been on the letter but there is no time frame on there. Will the job centre have that information on file, then?
    Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis and need a supporting hand to keep me on the right and just path. My mind is troubled but I will strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom will show me the way to a just and right resolution. Amen.
  • according to the phonecall i receved today on behalf of my daughter, the maximim length of times between claims is two years. My daughter is 18 and profoundly disabled I qiestioned the lady on the phone at the two year period and she said that it did seem strange given the nature of my daughters disability but that they were the rules at the moment. HTH
    Mandy
    I am trying to improve life for my family
    I must save money for our future.
    I must get back to my goal weight....
    :j
  • I have recently been put in the support group i received the letter stating this, mine too did not say how long for when i rang them up they said it was for 12 months, so it maybe worth giving them a call and they maybe able to see how long you are going to be in the support group from the medical report from ATOS
  • ab.da54
    I have recently been put in the support group i received the letter stating this, mine too did not say how long for when i rang them up they said it was for 12 months, so it maybe worth giving them a call and they maybe able to see how long you are going to be in the support group from the medical report from ATOS

There was no actual medical with ATOS, the decision has been made based, I assume, on the evidence submitted, unless they contacted GP / Consultant, to come to the decision, as well.

Thank you for your response.
  • ab.da54
    Mandymull wrote: »
    according to the phonecall i receved today on behalf of my daughter, the maximim length of times between claims is two years. My daughter is 18 and profoundly disabled I qiestioned the lady on the phone at the two year period and she said that it did seem strange given the nature of my daughters disability but that they were the rules at the moment. HTH

Thank you, Mandymull.

So it could be anywhere up to two years and then, I assume the process starts again, if there are problems in holding down a job?

Good luck to your daughter, whatever her future holds :)
  • rotoguys
    rotoguys Posts: 599 Forumite
    ab.da54 wrote: »
    Thank you, Mandymull.

So it could be anywhere up to two years and then, I assume the process starts again, if there are problems in holding down a job?

Good luck to your daughter, whatever her future holds :)

I made a claim in Oct 09, and was put in the Support Group from January 2010 until Januray 2013 - a period of 3 years!!

Mind you I was assessed under the pre March 2011 criteria! From March 11 the descriptors changed slightly which means that although my condition hasn't changed at all or will do, I will not even qualify for ESA when I am reassessed next January never mind be put in the Support Group!!

For those that qualified after the March 11 change, there should be no problems when you come up for re-assessment, unless they change the regs and descriptors again.
  • Cpt.Scarlet
    Cpt.Scarlet Posts: 1,102
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you ask for your medical report, either an ESA85 if you had a medical, or an ESA85A if you did not, then the prognosis period that the ATOS "doctor" specifies is usually used to set your re-assessment date.
  • rotoguys
    rotoguys Posts: 599 Forumite
    If you ask for your medical report, either an ESA85 if you had a medical, or an ESA85A if you did not, then the prognosis period that the ATOS "doctor" specifies is usually used to set your re-assessment date.

Yes you are right, the ESA85 in my case said I'll be fit to return to work within 3 months and gave me 0 points!!

Then when I sent in my evidence the DWP just gave Support Group - 3 years - which isn'y recorded on any document other than in a letter I received from them.
  • ab.da54

Thank you, Cpt.Scarlet.

Do you have to pay for the ESA85A?

Another question, if I may. The letter states ESA will start from XX date. Does that mean it will be paid on that date or will it be paid in arrears and therefore paid two weeks after the date it starts?

Thanks again for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure