To all stock investors - Scotland?

A few questions to all the stock experts:

- With Scotland in the balance, which shares have been affected the most?
- If Scotland vote No for Independence, which shares are likely to rocket?
- Will any shares go north if Scotland vote Yes?

Cheers

Comments

• A few questions to all the stock experts:

- With Scotland in the balance, which shares have been affected the most?
    - If Scotland vote No for Independence, which shares are likely to rocket?
    - Will any shares go north if Scotland vote Yes?

Cheers

I am no expert but

- I believe all UK companies will be affected negatively in some way by a potential yes vote. There are knee jerk reactions like an opinion poll comes out showing yes gaining and markets tumble the next day, or RBS come out and say they are moving to England if a yes vote and then they climb but overall, all companies with UK exposure will be affected negatively by a yes, or potential yes vote.

- If a No vote happens then all UK shares will definitely rocket the next day. I would bet a large amount on it.

- Total guess and I don't know how this would work really. Scotland would be a separate country and probably an "emerging market". Some companies of course will be based there and available for investment. Those that have not faced the SNP's "day of reckoning" of course.
  • I am no expert but

- I believe all UK companies will be affected negatively in some way by a potential yes vote. There are knee jerk reactions like an opinion poll comes out showing yes gaining and markets tumble the next day, or RBS come out and say they are moving to England if a yes vote and then they climb but overall, all companies with UK exposure will be affected negatively by a yes, or potential yes vote.

- If a No vote happens then all UK shares will definitely rocket the next day. I would bet a large amount on it.

- Total guess and I don't know how this would work really. Scotland would be a separate country and probably an "emerging market". Some companies of course will be based there and available for investment. Those that have not faced the SNP's "day of reckoning" of course.

Whats a decent UK stock that has been negatively affected (badly) leading up to Thursday? That would be the stock I would like to take pop on. Do you (or any other participants on the thread) have any recommendations?

Thanks,
  • Whats a decent UK stock that has been negatively affected (badly) leading up to Thursday? That would be the stock I would like to take pop on. Do you (or any other participants on the thread) have any recommendations?

Thanks,

I do not have any direct recommendations.

Out of the Scottish businesses that I have knowledge of (this would apply to ones in rest of the UK as well) there seems to be a feeling that in the event of a yes vote the ones that will be harmed the most are ones that rely on cross border business. IE doing a lot of business in both Scotland and rest of the uk with a lot of mix and match. That's where costs, taxes etc etc will hit the most.

Companies that are entirely within Scotland or entirely within the rest of the UK and do no business at all in Scotland will get away with less of an impact, although it will still hurt.

If you just want a financial bet on the outcome of the vote then you could just put a bet on with a bookmaker - it's a "pure" way to do it

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome

Personally I have bet on a straight no vote and also put money into FTSE all share trackers whilst this is going on. I am proud of the UK and want to put my money where my mouth is. I have faith intelligence and common sense will prevail in Scotland on Thursday.

If I'm wrong, just another reason for me to get drunk and drown my sorrows :rotfl:
  • To be honest, if the Scots vote No, I expect the Scottish stocks to rally higher than any UK companies. I suspect the scottish companies have been hit the hardest leading up to the vote.

The question is to find the scottish stock that has been hit most hard in the lead up and buy in closer to the day....any recommendations?
  • Personally I have bet on a straight no vote and also put money into FTSE all share trackers whilst this is going on. I am proud of the UK and want to put my money where my mouth is. I have faith intelligence and common sense will prevail in Scotland on Thursday.

How do I use III to put my money on the FTSE all share trackers? Is that possible. I have only ever invested directly with companies via III
  • The list of companies is good but I'd like to have a dabble at any companies listed on AIM. They will be the big shifters....
  • How do I use III to put my money on the FTSE all share trackers? Is that possible. I have only ever invested directly with companies via III

I don't know how the company you are using there works, I use different platforms which give me access to many funds and investments. There are many many many FTSE all share index trackers available on all of them for me to invest into. Charges/ fees/tracking errors/whatever vary of course but the choice is wide. Just have a look on the site you use.

Sounds like you just want to punt on a few Scottish companies though. Should be some choices around but I cant recommend any. All share is down 0.45% again today already on this referendum pish.
  • Might take a punt on the straight bet of Y or N and slam a couple of grand on No. I think the odds are 1/5 on a No.

What are the latest polls saying?
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is one stock that I know of and hold which has done poorly, possibly due to Scotland. It owns 2 drill rigs which are currently rented out in the North Sea, called Awilco Drilling.

It's a pretty high risk share though given they only have 2 rigs, but has a nice 23% dividend. I'm hoping the share price rallies in the event of a No vote but I didn't buy it for this reason.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure