PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Comments

• jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    10 days since I posted, husband still laying concrete patterns and I haven't tackled the paperwork :shhh: However I have tackled the kitchen and utility ... oh dear. So far I have emptied, cleaned and rearranged 2 pan drawers and 6 normal drawers and have 2 left to do. I have decluttered and rearranged 10 cupboards and have 4 more to do. I have done a thorough job and was proud to be passing gadgets and useful items to my daughter. She dashed my hopes when she reminded me that there was no point in offering her 'useful stuff' that I had not found a use for in the last 10 years or more so the decent stuff has gone to the CS and the rest to the landfill :o

However rummaging through old tins and gadgets has spurred me into baking cakes and making proper coffee so the house smells nice :) I thought I had been slacking but once I actually get the stuff out of the car boot and into its new home then I will have done well.

House will be on hold though as we are moving offices and last week were told we had 3 weeks to clear out the unnecessaries and we are downsizing so need o be ruthless :eek:
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • emsi_b
    emsi_b Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I've been reading this thread for a while, and it always seems to spur me into action when I've read what other people have done! I've decided to jump on in with how I'm doing.

1) mangy old pot plant chucked in the bin
    2) 2 mini bottles of booze that I was never going to drink- out!
    3) old odds and ends of unused stationary put in a CS bag
    4) one t-shirt added to the cash4clothes pile

Hoping to carry on getting my craft stash down tonight- new years resolution was to not buy anymore craft stuff til I've got my stash down more (I've even put actual amounts I want to achieve for each different craft!). It doesn't count if I have to buy stuff to use more stuff up, right? :D

I've also got a box of DVDs I want to get rid of- Zapper seems to give me more money than music magpie. To the other people who have used these- what are your experiences with them? All positive?

Here's to keeping up with the decluttering!
    Make £2024 in 2024- £352.54/£2024

41/200- bust my craft stash 2024! £10.80 spent
    211/200- bust my craft stash 2023!
  • greengoblin
    greengoblin Posts: 153 Forumite
    I've found both to be pretty good. Pro's of Zapper - they offer more money, they take books. Cons - you have to get to £10 worth of stuff before they accept it and they don't always take all the dvds etc.
    Music magpie Pro's - they take nearly everything (well that i've tried to shift) inc. branded clothes and tech stuff and you only need to have 10 items (less for clothes and tech), Cons - tend to pay out less money!
    :)
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

:starmod:Recycle ALL the things!:starmod: :p
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    Did well today took trolley of stuff to CS again. Put lots of stuff on free cycle and gumtree if dont go , will either CS or take to the trip.
    Can now use space under stairs. :T
    Took 2 huge bags to bookswap place.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    I am back after having had no internet access for a month. During this month I have managed to:
    * Sort out paperwork and either filed it away or shredded it.
    * 2 forms completed and posted.
    * One tooth paste used up.
    * Finally gone through all my old photo indexes, I got rid of 50% of it.
    * We have continued to use up our content in the freezer.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Spring cleaned the kitchen today. Chucked out a bin bag of stuff, nothing exciting, just lots of part used packs of stuff that were passed their best. Have a stack of old and very yellow cook books to go too. Looks much better than it did. Dare I say the word tidy?
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • taffy1969
    taffy1969 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, I finally made a start!!! Cleaned bathroom and sorted out all the half bottles of stuff that are never used and binned them, Carrier bag full so pleased with that. Sorted 2 cupboards in kitchen and tom will tidy the others. Kitchen really shouldn't need doing as only had new one in November but it's amazing how quickly it happens!!!!! Last day tomorrow at my Sunday job, accounts for a carpet shop. Worked there fulltime up until 4 years ago but still went in on a Sunday to do the accounts. Will be end of an era as worked there in total 16 & a half years!!!!
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • Am feeling very proud of myself, as I am making in-roads into my filing and paperwork :j

112. Exercise DVD - CS
    113. Flag thing from son's bedroom - CS
    114. Kitchen timer that didn't work properly - bin
    115. Big wedge of paper shredded/recycled

Lovely weather today here, so I 'decluttered' some weeds and overgrown ivy in the garden (not counting that though :p) and am about to declutter an ironing mountain ...
    Enjoying the power and freedom of letting things go.

Decluttering - January 2024 - 89 physical objects, over 700 emails/digital decluttering 🎊 🏅🏅
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    When I emptied under the stairs I found the old kenwood mixer my dad gave me about 15 years ago, so ordered new bowl and I good clean and looks lovely. Well chuffed:j
    Plus sold some toys:D
    And freecyles some as old train track .
    Impressed with how much space I have.
    Much not buy to replace:rotfl:
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • tiny_courageous
    tiny_courageous Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Out - 15 old DVDs and videos
    Decluttered - two bin bags full of baby clothes to go in the loft, another bag of stuff listed on facebook for sale.
    Waiting to go - 16 DVDs sold on ebay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport