The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Ridiculous bank charges...

NUGIRL
NUGIRL Posts: 1 Newbie

Comments

• Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Ronaldo_Mconaldo Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2011 at 9:02PM
    Don't go overdrawn then?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    can they do this!!

yes they can.
    The amount they have charged me seems astranomical!!

Best solution is not to take money from them that you are not entitled to. Indeed, at the moment, its the only solution.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »

Best solution is not to take money from them that you are not entitled to.

The bank's T&Cs provide an express entitlement for you to request an unauthorised overdraft by virtue of you presenting a payment instruction when insufficient funds are available and it is entirely up to the bank as to whether it is granted.

Will you ever learn?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, they can charge for not paying things, for considering and accepting informal requests for overdrafts and for use of an overdraft.

You don't have to accept charges at these levels. Charges are different at different banks and it might pay you to move some or all of your banking to a different bank. Perhaps you could set up a bill payment current account at a bank with low overdraft cots and also ask for an arranged overdraft facility so that you won't have more informal and often more expensive requests.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The bank's T&Cs provide an express entitlement for you to request an unauthorised overdraft by virtue of you presenting a payment instruction when insufficient funds are available and it is entirely up to the bank as to whether it is granted.

Will you ever learn?

No kidding batman. Talk about stating the obvious. However, that isnt what the OP is after.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure