Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Harrogate isn't very close at all KC! But probably FAR more civilised than Skegness in my personal experience (although with no sea, so Skegness wins in that respect!) What were you doing all the way up there? We were looking at Mablethorpe as an alternative to Skegness for last weekend - I've never been there either!
    A million years ago, when I was a secretary in London after fleeing financial work in the City, a friend moved from London to just outside York, and three of us went to stay for a long weekend. It was idyllic - woodland nearby, pick your own strawbs nearby, a pond was in the garden, they were into self sufficiency, and the trip out was to Harrogate - Yorkshire pudding in onion gravy, now **that** defines idyllic for me :j And yep, Harrogate is *extremely* civilised :)
    ... while I was waiting for the kettle to boil I cleared out a couple of shelves in the food cupboard :j :j The easiest ones, just with the jam and breakfast stuff on :o but they were awfully sticky and covered in crumbs :o:o Trying to do 15 mins a day a la Flylady again for a while, restore some vague kind of order :o
    That's the only way I can bear to do stuff like that - little bits and bobs as and when I feel like it :D
    Sneaked out into the garden with my friend this evening - so overgrown :eek: and so many things dead :o But the rose I bought from Poundland is blooming nicely by the door which is *lovely* and there's plenty of raspberries and some tayberries too :j :j Going to get my mother out there picking gooseberries at the weekend and we can make some jam :D
    Definitely :beer:

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, that sounds cheery KC :j I've only ever really been through Harrogate, never properly stopped there. But ooh, Yorkshire pudding :D I suppose I should learn how to make one properly, since I live in Yorkshire and everything :D

Just rang the roofer - he's coming tomorrow :j :j VERY excited about this as it means we'll then be able to get the ceiling plastered, and I *might* start to feel some progress is being made :rotfl:

Just about starting to panic about our holidays :o Needless to say, we haven't booked anywhere yet and we're meant to be going on 31st July :rotfl: Not too worried, we've always managed to end up with somewhere cheery, and Mr Cheery is EXCELLENT and digging out a lovely bargain too :j :j But there's always an air of 'aarrgghh, why didn't we do this earlier?!' :eek: :rotfl:
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Forgot to say the other day when you said you had been to Skegness, you might like Anderby Creek, its near to Chapel St Leonards, its very quiet, not like Skeg, and has a lovely beach, think there is one shop and a car park, but lovely for a relaxing walk, here is a link to it http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/asop/places/beach_guide/anderby_creek.shtml
  • Cheery_Daff
    ooh, thanks Februarycat, i'll investigate :j always on the look out for a new cheery place to go! :j

Weird day here - I appear to have pulled a muscle in my back and I've been in agony! Obviously ok when I got up as I put exercise kit on to do Shred :eek: but then Mr Cheery got up so I didn't :rotfl: but by the time I'd started work properly it was proper sore and he parcelled me off for a lie down at lunchtime and it's been hurting ever sinve, even with hot water bottle and painkillers :eek:

Honestly, what is it with my body at the minute?! :eek: clearly not as young as I used to be!! :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Hmm, well I made it to work (very slowly!) but when everone saw how much pain I was in and how I was struggling to walk and sit down I've been parcelled off to the walk in centre with dire warnings of possible infection from stupid coil fiasco :eek:

Saw lovely nurse when I got here who gave me tramadol and diazapam (on top of my ibuprofen and paracetamol) but that was an hour ago and it still hurts. Still apparently got another two hours to wait to ser the doc :eek:

Stupidly didn'y bring a book to read and while i've got work laptop I can't connect to the server and stupidly didn't save anything on the desktop so I'm doing a lot of people watching and trying not to eat entire contents of the vending machine...

On an unrelated but cheerful note, i managed to snag a loaf for 8p in the supermarket last night :money: :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This sounds horrendous, Cheery :( I hope the doctor can sort out what on earth's going on :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ooof Cheery! That sounds dreadful. Hope that you've seen a doc, and frankly, that you are back home and tucked up on the couch or in bed by now! I hope to goodness that you've not had to commute back.......

Anyhoo, just bounced on to let you know how much your recent 'yummy makes' influenced our tea tonight :D Thursday's are 'use up' nights this month. But I must admit, there wasn't an awful lot to 'use up' :o None-the-less, I'd obviously stored a note of your flatbread endeavours and the tip about the courgettes you gave. So I had some mung beans - bought rtc in mrT in 2014 :eek: - they are still in date, but as they are not a 'mainstream' bean, I have had difficulty incorporating them in me mealplan. Anyway, I found a recipe to make a version of falafel with them - so I made up the falafel last night (love my pressure cooker, such a good investment for a bean muncher) so that for dinner this evening, we could have wraps (actually chappatis - made with rye flour, which stayed nice and soft and pliable - just the thing for wraps :j) which featured courgette strips that i'd softened in a mint vinaigrette, then I put a couple of the mung bean falafels on top, then some slices of avocado and finally a splodge of tahini cumin dressing :D All this was wrapped up - and looked..... DREADFUL! :rotfl: How on earth do they get them to look so appetising in food photoshoots????? :D However, they tasted yummy, and I never would have thought of the ideas and putting them all together if you had not mentioned your endeavours - so Thank You :D

And no, there is no pic, because you couldn't see the filling and the wrap kept coming undone, and would only stay closed if you had your hand round it - and then the pickling liquor from the courgettes (which i'd not taken sufficient time to drain properly :o) seaped down your arm....... :rotfl:

All good fun!

Hope you're on the road to recovery, but firmly ensconced in your own home, being tended to by MrCheery :D

Keep well and thank you again :D

Greying x
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Another one hoping that you are OK and now safely at home and tucked up with hot water bottle, tea and cake.
    Take care.
    MM x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Oh Greying, I did laugh at the thought of you with your tea dripping down your arm! :rotfl: Glad it was tasty though! :j

I've been having a right old fiasco :eek: finally got to see the doc who prodded and diagnosed no infection (fortunately) but a back gone into spasm :eek: couldn't even lift leg off the bed at that point. Got given full strength cocodamol and 3 days of diazepam and felt pretty ok(within reason) so hopped on the bus for tea at ex boss's house as planned.

Took the cocodamol, had a lovely tea - then came over all faint and threw up :o sat about for a while, felt better, so someone came wth me in a taxi to the station as I just wanted to be at home.

However when I got out of the taxi I could barely walk :eek: so the poor tiny 70 year old colleague I was with left me propped against a wall while she comandeered a wheelchair :rotfl: the pair of us were in stitches as she tried to maneuvre us to the other side of the station and we arrived on the platform just as the bloody train pulled out.

Next one not for an hour and while she offered to wait, I wasn't sure I could so she bundled me back in a taxi to ex boss's house where fortunately ex nurse colleague was still there.and did a grand job of looking after me and parcelling me into bed :D

Much better this morning and made it onto train and VERY nearly home now where I'll have some more mind bending drugs ove I'm lying down and near a loo :rotfl: what a palaver!! :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Just totted up and my whole escapade wasn't very money saving at all! :eek:

£10 taxi from work to hospital :eek:
    £3 (shared) taxi from friend's house to station
    £7 taxi back to friend's house
    £18.60 train home (yesterday's return not valid)

that's nearly £40!! :eek:

VERY grateful I'm not struggling and in debt any more - these little things can send you over the edge in that situation. SO grateful I don't have to think about that any longer.

On the plus side I get all my prescriptions free after having my thyroid out years ago so at least that didn't cost anything! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure