Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    knack92 wrote: »
    I'll be double checking this now
    Wise move ....
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Interesting insider perspective on Retentions:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5597414
  • Anon
    If you have already accepted the deal then you will now be tied into a new minimum term contract. No amount of "mulling it over at the weekend" will extricate you, I'm afraid. You are too late to cancel (or even threaten to) for another year or more. There is no "cooling off" period for retention deals.

I am sorry but I believe you are wrong - when I last took up a retention deal I received a revised 12 month contract - it clearly shows the start date as the date of the retention deal and clearly states my right to cancel.
    Your right to cancel - you have 14 working days starting from the day after this contract is entered into to cancel it. You can do this by sending a written notice of cancellation to us. We have enclosed a cancellation form. If you have received any equipment under this contract before cancellation, you are responsible for returning it to us at your cost. If we do not receive the equipment back from you , we may arrange collection from your home at your cost.

The terms are under the Consumer Credit Act.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Anon wrote: »
    I am sorry but I believe you are wrong - when I last took up a retention deal I received a revised 12 month contract - it clearly shows the start date as the date of the retention deal and clearly states my right to cancel.

The terms are under the Consumer Credit Act.

I've found the contract I received last. Here's the letter which came with it: https://www.docdroid.net/WhtYQnR/vm-right-to-cancel-services.pdf.html
  • Anon
    knack92 wrote: »
    I've found the contract I received last. Here's the letter which came with it: https://www.docdroid.net/WhtYQnR/vm-right-to-cancel-services.pdf.html

Thank you - that suggests if you change services, you can cancel and revert to your original contract. If you have some form of installation then you cannot, though it is a little contradictory!
  • somnus
    somnus Posts: 41 Forumite
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Managed to catch a call from retentions today. Offered £22.25 a month for 12 months, and a boost to 70Mbps. When the email came through it lists £10 discount for 18 months, so may be even better.
    One year I'll actually hold out to see if they offer an even bigger discount.

I was in the same position as VoucherMan. Was paying £18.25 and was due to go up to £26 then £29.

Retentions offered me the £22.25 first along with an upgrade. I said I'm not bothered about the upgrade and asked to get it cheaper. £20/month was the best he would offer. Said he couldn't offer an 18 month contract and threw in the upgrade anyway.

The follow up e-mail also stated £10 off for 18 months plus a £2.25 monthly credit.
  • miggiwoo
    miggiwoo Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anon wrote: »
    Yes, you can call within the 30 days and remove the cancellation if they don't call/you change your mind.
    I did accept a better deal but then realised that they had knocked off my old V+ box. Rang them up to say that they had offered me my current deal at £58 and could they please put the V+ box back on ( they had switched it off ) but they said I had agreed to cancelling it . To put it back on would be another £6-50 , making it £64-50/ month.
    In a fit of rage I told them to cancel my package and they said ok and would disconnect me in 30 days.
    I received a disconnection email about an hour later.
    Can I still ring them up within 30 days and keep my current package or have I burnt my bridges ?
    I have looked at BT again but am having second thoughts
    thanks
    The truth shall set you free.....................
  • Aye_Up
    Aye_Up Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Homeworks+ Vivid 300Mb broadband
    Phoneline with weekend calls
    £47.99 a month
    12 month contract

Can't say I am unhappy at that, they had to ring me in order to get that offer. My package was looking at costing £68 a month with no discounts they were saying. I have had no issues with the broadband over the last 9 months and seeing as VM are the only company to offer those speeds in my area, it didn't leave me with much choice.
  • Anon
    edited 13 March 2017 at 8:59PM
    miggiwoo wrote: »
    I did accept a better deal but then realised that they had knocked off my old V+ box. Rang them up to say that they had offered me my current deal at £58 and could they please put the V+ box back on ( they had switched it off ) but they said I had agreed to cancelling it . To put it back on would be another £6-50 , making it £64-50/ month.
    In a fit of rage I told them to cancel my package and they said ok and would disconnect me in 30 days.
    I received a disconnection email about an hour later.
    Can I still ring them up within 30 days and keep my current package or have I burnt my bridges ?
    I have looked at BT again but am having second thoughts
    thanks

If you have now put in your 30 days notice, put in an order with BT, during set up indicate you want the set up fee adding on your first bill (avoids advanced payment being made). You will then have 14 days to cancel the BT install but including a number transfer means Virgin will be notified and will hopefully prompt their Outbound team to call. If that fails you can always cancel the cancellation (and the BT install!).
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How long does it normally take a retention's offer to show on your account.

Accepted a cheaper deal six days ago with just the phone being downgraded to weekends only, everything else broadband and TV the same. However I have not yet received any email.
    In my online account, the broadband, which was not changed, is now showing 100Mbps instead of the normal 150Mbps (I'm still getting 150Mbps speeds) and the phone, which has changed is still showing as evening and weekends.

Will I have to wait until my next billing cycle for the correct changes, which is normally about two weeks away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback