children, ADHD and DLA..do you receive it & what do you use it for?

Comments

• blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    lolly1981 wrote: »
    im still in 2 minds about this...ive been reading other threads where other people are saying that the money being used by the parents is abuse!

Why? The parents have probably paid a whole load of money out of their own money for their child, it goes into my bank account, there is no pot. If I pay for his swimming when my CA comes in and buy shopping when his DLA comes in, am I using his money on shopping??

Of course not and I am sure it happens in many other families too.

I recently spent £30 on fiddle toys as the school said he could have them in class - 1 day later they told me that he can no longer have them as he chews them and it can spread germs. Not impressed!!

Oh and shoes, he get's through shoes like you would not beleieve and they have to be 'fitted ' shoes as his feet are very slim. I need another pair - 3 pairs since October - all the same size though!
  • oh i know teh shoes...we went through 3 pairs from sept to dec lol..all the climbing and scuffing he does...drives me potty.

as i said thats not my view thats what someone else said.
    i am worried that is how he will see it when hes older as thats the problems his paternal grandmother had with his 'father'.

his school have said he is allowed fiddle toys too,..luckily he doesnt tend to chew things...so hoping that might help abit :)
  • blue_monkey_2
    Think is lolly, you have to declare it. Say he smashed something up in a hotel and hurt himself or jumped from something and broke a leg. You have to be honest as some insurers might not pay out if it was due to the ADHD. I could not believe the difference, I am dreading going to the USA and getting travel insurance for that.

You want to get a book called 'All Dogs Have ADHD' and leave it around the house for people to pick up when they visit. You can get it on Amazon and leave it around the house - everyone who comes in picks it up and looks at it and it helps explain why he is like he is and gives people understanding without you 'lecturing' them. It just helps people understand without them having to ask. I also have 'All Cats Have Aspergers' and that is very good too.
  • it really never occured to me..silly really i guess lol...but i suppose because im used to that behaviour i forget the problems it could potentially cause if the makes sense.

im gonna have to look for that book....might be worth me reading too lol..as i find myself getting so cross with him and forget that sometimes it really isnt his fault (not that it should be an excuse just an explaination)

i find it hard to deal with too as he was my 1st child and it wasnt what i tjought bringing up a child would be like!
  • Hi Lolly

Try not to worry too much about the future at the moment. your son needs help now. If you can use DLA to send him to Scouts that is really going to benefit him. think of the other activities that you would otherwise be unable to fund ie. swimming lessons, drama is a good one, but can be very expensive, horse riding.

all the 'extras' that DLA has paid for for my son has helped him immensely so hopefully as he gets older he will be able to play a much fuller part in society and hopefuly not rely on benefits all his adult life.

I agree about it being family money. When he was little and his sister younger the DLA funded horse riding lessons for her as well. Why should it not? She suffered a lot growing up due to DS's behaviour and it would have seemed very wrong if he was the only one of the children to enjoy treats and extra activities (especially because of his behaviour!). For years as a family we had no 'normal' family life. I had to give a good well aid job to be around more, (it paid for a couple of hours cleaning when I was working more so as I could spend more family time at weekends).

Holidays have really benefited him, and the rest of the family but BM is right they tend to cost more. We can't do last minute deals as everything has to be planned as DS can't deal with the unexpected. We have no choice but to pay extra to get seats together. Heaven help us if DS had to sit next to a stranger. Certain accomodation is not suitable (too long to go into!)

Blue monkey, I'd totally forgotten about the clothes thing. The problem with these kind of disabilities is that you just start to think of everything as normal, cause it is to you.

I've read some of the posts on here where people have accused parents of 'profiteering'. I think they are cruel. Yes, it probably does happen but it certainly doesn't seem like you would do that and I think it's the exception rather than the rule. Most parents only want what is best for their kids and have other family members needs to take into acount as well.

Myself and OH were talking about this the other day. When DS is 16 and gets this money to himself we will ask for some to cover the extra cost of electric (he has loads of electrical equipment) and internet, he downloads a lot so had to get a more expensive package, and a little something towards his fussy food eating (we think it's only fair to do this as he nees to realise that it costs money to live, if we let him keep it all he would not be learning anything). Out of the rest he is going to have to pay for all the outgoings that we take care of at the minute. clothes, memberships to various clubs, activities, magazine subscriptions, dvd subscriptions etc. We have worked out that we will not be financially worse of.

So, i've calmed down a bit about teling him when he is 16, i think he may get a shock when he realises just how expensive he is :eek:
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 16 February 2010 at 2:30PM
    The other thing as well is that this year we are off to Florida - there is no way we would ensure a hotel room for longer than one night but we are going into Suites and we have a timeshare so we have bedroomed units - even in WDW. So we are going for 3 weeks. I am dreading the flight but will deal with that nearer the time. Until we stayed in a hotel for 3 nights last year I had no idea how valuable these units were. It means we can make our own breakfast, lunch and dinner without having to rely on restaurants.

We cannot eat in anything other than buffets where you can walk in and eat.

Have recently found Toby Carvaries and they are fantastic for us as you sit and eat.

The school recently told the CDCD he was 'not a problem and was great at school' - 2 weeks on all that has changed, they even kept him in one afternoon for not finishing his work - it was the first and last time. Now they have given him his own 'quiet table' where he works on his own as he is able to get on and do more.

And (something to bear in mind) I think I have identified why some days are worse than others and it is because he has PE before lunch so has 2 1/2 hours of running around before he has to just walk back into a classroom and sit down.... as if!! So now they are saying they will consider a bit of quiet time before taing him back to the classroom to being him down.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with what others have said about the money going into the family pot -in that respect and at his age it's not "his" money, it's yours to help meet his additional needs as a child within your family.
    The confusion maybe arises when children get older and the family keep the money to spend on themselves, instead of helping the person to draw up a budget which balances their obligations (like rent and electric) with the "nice stuff." It was quite common in a carer's group I used to attend for families to say their grown-up child couldn't possibly leave home to live independently as the family couldn't afford to do without the extra money if they left. In which case they were clearly abusing the situation.
    But that's not you and your situation - you need the money to help your son live a normal life and to give you some help to do that in whichever way is best for you and yours. Your son is 7 and you are doing what all parents do. So don't worry about what other people think, do what is best for all of you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 16 February 2010 at 2:36PM
    lolly1981 wrote: »
    it really never occured to me..silly really i guess lol...but i suppose because im used to that behaviour i forget the problems it could potentially cause if the makes sense.

im gonna have to look for that book....might be worth me reading too lol..as i find myself getting so cross with him and forget that sometimes it really isnt his fault (not that it should be an excuse just an explaination)

i find it hard to deal with too as he was my 1st child and it wasnt what i tjought bringing up a child would be like!

Lolly, you need to think outside of his condition, he is still the same little boy you gave birth to - just that he is a little more work than other kids the same age. No-one in the family will look after my son as he is too hard to deal with. Their loss.

I will also say that I am finding it harder as he get's older, he hits harder he can run faster than I can and I cannot hold him down when he is having a tantrum without him screaming stuff at me in the street :o. However, all it means is that I'll have to make extra sure he get's what he needs to deal with life.

He is super, super intelligent - just that he shows it in another way. Oh, and the talking. Marbles, Thomas and more Thomas. And eating. :rotfl: Find a support group, it will do you the world of good and make you realise you are not on your own. If you cannot find one let us know where in the U you are and maybe we can help. I'd not be without mine.

My son ges to Beavers which is age 6-8 but they can stay longer if they are not ready for Cubs but they are fantastic ith him and even let him go gradually with me sitting in the corner. For the £30 a term I pay it is the best money I have spent. He absolutely loves it and, considering the leaders are all under 20, they are brilliant with him.
  • The other thing as well is that this year we are off to Florida - there is no way we would ensure a hotel room for longer than one night but we are going into Suites and we have a timeshare so we have bedroomed units - even in WDW. So we are going for 3 weeks. I am dreading the flight but will deal with that nearer the time. Until we stayed in a hotel for 3 nights last year I had no idea how valuable these units were. It means we can make our own breakfast, lunch and dinner without having to rely on restaurants.

We cannot eat in anything other than buffets where you can walk in and eat.

Have recently found Toby Carvaries and they are fantastic for us as you sit and eat.

The school recently told the CDCD he was 'not a problem and was great at school' - 2 weeks on all that has changed, they even kept him in one afternoon for not finishing his work - it was the first and last time. Now they have given him his own 'quiet table' where he works on his own as he is able to get on and do more.

And (something to bear in mind) I think I have identified why some days are worse than others and it is because he has PE before lunch so has 2 1/2 hours of running around before he has to just walk back into a classroom and sit down.... as if!! So now they are saying they will consider a bit of quiet time before taing him back to the classroom to being him down.

one of his biggest issues at school is his p.e lesson lol he gets so hyper his teachers find it difficult to control him...as they obviously have 20 odd other kids to worry about too...but he climbs on the windows...runs about generally doesnt listen.
    im not sure how he behaves after p.e tho.

the school are as frustrated as i am because evrything just starts and stops so quickly...first off it was hitting other kids...that just stopped, now its lieing, it was talking incessently alllll teh time recently.
    its like we think we're getting somewhere with something then it just stops (all good obviously lol) and something new starts up and im back to square one of feeling incredibly warn out and tired, and a failure :(

it sounds silly but when school and i filled out the conners questionnaire i didnt feel so bad as most of their answers matched mine ...so at least it wasnt just environmental and homelife that did it...IYSWIM!
  • lolly1981
    lolly1981 Posts: 746 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2010 at 2:46PM
    yeah my mum stopped looking after him as a toddler as he was too hard work...my sis has him occasionly but she finds teh talking just too much.
    my OH family find him difficult,....they dont understand him...they think he's just a nusance...he isnt he is the most clever, loving, sweetest, intelligent little boy i know.

i do look at other peoples children and think that i am glad they dont behave that way...i.e hitting their parents, speaking to them with such venoum, etc (i.m not talking about children with behavoural probs..im talking about generally, my OH lil boy from his first relationship, is very manipulative, and speak so rudely and sharply to people, soemthing DS1 wouldnt do)
    i think i just get so frustrated becuase he does things that are silly, or dangerous. things that other children wouldnt tend to do...like pulling their fav toys apart. things that i feel he should know not to do etc.

when i sit and think about it i would never really say he was naughty...just busy and impulsive. IYSWIM. but oh so frustrating and even though i shouldnt sya it...downright irritating lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure