Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• THE_HARVEYS
    Options
    claire738 wrote: »
    Got a letter today to my address with no name just "Mr/Mrs"

Inside theres a note saying "Congratulations This number has drawn one of the gifts donated by local business"

Gives a number which says normal telephone rate under it and a hand written code.

There is a second note that says "with compliments Survey UK" and the address:

Matters Consulting Ltd t/a Survey UK
    Victoria House
    1 Gloucester Road
    Cheltenham
    Gloucestershire
    GL51 8LN

Googled address and found this;

"Trading Standards Advice - Chrissie Bridge - 29th Jan 07

I have received an enquiry from a NHW member who has received an email from a Company called Matters Consulting Ltd, t/a Survey UK of Cheltenham, www.surveygifts.co.uk.

The email informs them that they are entitled to a gift donated by a local business (no name given).

They quote a gift confirmation number which can either be telephoned through or by logging onto their website.

Trading Standards have confirmed they have heard of this Company - they are trying to get people to join a gym by giving a free gift of a manicure or pedicure and supposedly cheaper membership to the Gym Club."

So anyone who recieves anything from this company beware.
    thanks very much had the same letter this morning you at least saved us a phonecall they must be targeting people further afield as we are from south wales
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aren't they a pain in the proverbial. I am lucky I have only had a couple of those calls. I put it down to when they ask for income, go for the lowest possible, even unemployed as they then don't think its worth while ringing.
  • Julesm_3
    Options
    I am off work sick today and got a surprise phone call - I have won 7 nights in Turkey, Spain, Ibiza or Austria! Just got to call Club la Costa on a free phone number..... I was off work a few weeks ago and got a surprise phone call - I'd won a free holiday! 7 nights in Tenerife - just had to call flybuyholidays, pay an admin fee and could go anytime in the next 18 months..... Most days I get home from work to find multiple missed calls on my landline with no messages left and no return number. Am I missing out on continual holidays I ask myself?
  • Annybananny
    Annybananny Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to know if this is a scam too as we got the same call today giving us a reference no and we were to ring 0800 988 9900. I'm sure it was from the same company Club la Costa. To get the booking done we have to go to Lakeside on 15th July with our passports? Sound familiar to anyone? Is this a known scam as I've only just started comping and am very green. Also do you know if we have to pay for the actual flights? TIA.

Ann
  • suez_channel
    Options
    "Also you have been selected in our daily draw, you have won a weeks holiday in 4 star luxary accommodation sleeping up to four people. The holiday can be used within the next 18 months. There is a 149 pound admin fee payable and then its all yours. "
    Received this email today from a address called CentralMarketing Ltd.

I think I had made the mistake of completing "destination tenerife" Entry form for comp which allegedly has a closing date September but has "daily draws" too. Somehow I put my phone number in wrong and they are asking me to let them have the correct one!!

• SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Options
    i had a phone call last week telling me i'd won a prize worth over 500 quid but the down side which eventually came out was.... i\d have to pay 30 quid per person booking fee (which i'd get back YEAH OK) and i had to make my own way to london to get the prize and enjoy it. i said i was driving at the time of the call (on me moby....i'd actually pulled over at a garage for munchies!!) and could he phone me back in an hour.... he did but i didnt answer PLUS i hated the fact that he kept calling me darling
  • kimmywal
    kimmywal Posts: 11,288 Forumite
    Options
    If only LOL, what is the purpose of these emails though :confused:

The UK National Lottery
    P O Box 1010 Liverpool,
    L70 1NL UNITED KINGDOM
    (Customer Services)
    Batch:10.16.21.24.34.45.(60)

Our Dear Winner,

You have won the sum of £1,000,000.00
    (ONE MILLION Pounds Sterling) from UK NATIONAL LOTTERY, online
    Sweepstakes International Program on our 2007 new year charity bonanza
    which took place on July 2007.

The winning ticket was selected from a Data Base of Internet Email
    Users,from which your Address came out as the winning coupon.
    We hereby urge you to claim the winning amount quickly as this is a
    monthly lottery. Failure to claim your win will result into the
    reversion of the fund to our following month.

You are therefore requested to contact immediately out Claims
    Department below quoting winning number: WINNING
    NUMER:10.16.21.24.34.45.(60)

Name :Mr. Kenny smith
    Email:microsoft_moose@yahoo.es
    Tel phone :+447045712608

Congratulations once again.
    please quote your winning number.

Yours faithfully,
    MRS. Lisa Moose
    Online coordinator for THE NATIONAL LOTTERY
    Sweepstakes International Program.
    What we see depends mainly on what we look for

"This will be mine in 2009" member 50
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately, they may get a few gullible/naive people who respond, and then draw them in by asking for money to release the prize etc. Once they have got them for one then they send more from other addresses. I shred one or two letters similar weekly.
  • bumblesquat
    bumblesquat Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got this message from getmeaticket promotions? Opinions welcome as i'm not sure if I should confirm my details or not. Anyone else had 1?

Congratulations!

Our random generator has JUST selected your email address
    **************** from
    250.000 GetMeATicket newsletter recipients as possible winner of an Audi A3!!!

In the event of having been selected please click here:

SELECTED EMAIL RECIPIENTS ALSO RECEIVE:

1. further additional prizes (Camcorder, Sony PSP, …)
    2. even a chance of winning 2 Audis

Participation is FREE and only takes 1 minute!

Your Audi A3 Winner Team
    :wave:
  • helen1977_2
    Options
    I had the pleasure of speaking to 2minutedraw.com this afternoon. If it's free with no catches then why do i have to pay £29.50 per person to go on a free holiday to one of four destinations???????.
    I was told i'd have to go to London and because i live some distance away they'd put me put me up free of charge in a 4 star hotel. He told me i have to go either next fir or sat and that's the only 2 dates available. after a few minutes i told him to forget it and that i didn't want the holiday he sounded disgusted lol i'm really looking forward to him ringing back tomorrow. thanks to this website and your posts i've discovered lots about 2minutedraw.com. :T You really don't get something for nothing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback