New! Competition end dates posting

Comments

• fire**fly wrote: »
    it's showing
    E: DAILY £100.00 Google+ Giveaway | Shade Station
    End: Unknown

as it's no ending date been put in :)

so surely this is going to have to be edited by a BG to put a guessed end date in?
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,829 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    so surely this is going to have to be edited by a BG to put a guessed end date in?

or maybe if someone sees it posts the link to the dailies thread as there doesn't seem to be a end date on the comp so should it be posted to dailies ?
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Hughjass
    Hughjass Posts: 387 Forumite
    I realise that some of the recent changes are postive but please MSE can you stop messing about with the comps board now, enough already, its making me not want to play anymore.
    All power is from within and therefore under our control
  • crin
    crin Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    really not sure about this change. The boards have changed a fair bit recently and tbh when you do a display by title for posts done over the last 2 days/weeks etc it doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to several months ago
    If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.

Eleventh Heaven # 550 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 November 2012 at 2:32PM
    The thought behind the idea seems great but in practice its just another thing to do when posting.
    Plus by filling in the new date box no date is added to the title.We still have to do that & as I understand it that is where the date ordering takes place?
    To test I posted a comp & it did not add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

football0811.png

Maybe if I understood what the point of the new date box was.It may work as a prompt for members but they still have to add the date in the old way.
  • weeowens wrote: »
    The thought behind the idea seems great but in practice its just another thing to do when posting.
    Plus by filling in the new date box no date is added to the title.We still have to do that & as I understand it that is where the date ordering takes place?
    To test I posted a comp & it did add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

football0811.png

Maybe if I understood what the point of the new date box was.It may work as a prompt for members but they still have to add the date in the old way.

Thank you so much for testing that weeowens, that's exactly what I suspected was going to happen, so the end date isn't added in E: ??/?? format at the beginning of the title, so unless people add that as well it's going to be impossible to order by end date! Great! :(
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    UNKNOWN = ESTIMATED

Please can the wording be changed so it says "ESTIMATED" rather than "UNKNOWN"
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 November 2012 at 2:39PM
    Hi,bargainhuntergal

I see it that the general users on here are no worse off.It's the posters that will have to take more time/care to fill the box in.
    Most users know that an end date is needed in the title,for me its just force of habit.
    I'm just at a loss to see what the new date input does,unless it some backroom MSE functionality that is not obvious.
    Hi,bargainhuntergal

I see it that the general users on here are no worse off.It's the posters that will have to take more time/care to fill the box in.
    Most users know that an end date is needed in the title,for me its just force of habit.

I know what you mean, it's just if people see the end date box and think they don't need to type it in the normal format in the title too that we're going to have a big problem, and it will make a massive amount of work for the BG's if they're having to edit all of them with the dates. :(
    To test I posted a comp & it did not add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

football0811.png

Thanks weeowens. That's exactly what I suspected would happen. I think it's going to result in a less workable board as there will be people who don't see the point in putting the end date in the title. For those of us who sort by end date most of the time, the results are obvious. I remember how difficult it used to be before the current format was decided upon and I fear, unless another change is made to enable a search via the new end date facility, we'll be back to the old problems.
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport