PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Comments

• wheres the protein in that recipe?
  • wheres the protein in that recipe?

Hi. Potatoes do contain a small amount of protein, and as long as the diet is varied then you shouldn't be missing out.

This site has some great veggie/vegan recipes, healthy and cheap.
    http://www.frugal.org.uk/recipes.html

If anyone is concerned about protein in their diet this is taken from the Vegan Society's website: Vegan Sources of Protein
    The foods which commonly supply the most protein in a vegan diet are pulses (peas, beans, lentils, soya products), grains (wheat, oats, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, pasta, bread), nuts (brazils, hazels, almonds, cashews) and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame).

Luvz Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Similiar ingrediaents but a different outcomes, using moanymoany's "recipe."
    moanymoany wrote: »
    Take potatoes - cut into cubes and dry.

Chop one onion into rounds. Splat one garlic clove and a bit of ginger, if available, with a knive

take cumin, same amount of coriander seed and heat in frying pan, then grind in pestle and mortar.

fry the potato in oil till beginning to cook, set aside.

Fry onion gently in oil, ghee, butter until it starts to caramelise. Add ginger and spices, stir one minute, add the garlic, then a good pinch of tumeric and fry for a minute, avoiding letting the tumeric catch in the pan. Put the partly cooked potatoes back in and add a little water, stock, tomato juice or a couple of chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked, making sure the spices do not taste uncooked.

Put rice on to boil. Serve the potatoes on the rice

but chapattis or nan is better.

This one is better on a gas cooker on a very low light with a heat diffuser
    moanymoany wrote: »

Take very small (chat) potatoes (the ones that you dug up and are to small to boil or peel) - scrub and dry

Cut one onion into small dice. Dry fry a little cumin and grind. Fry the onion gently in plenty of oil, then add the spice and a tsp of tumeric. Add the potatoes to the spiced oil, stir occasionally to disturb the potatoes and cook very gently till nice and brown. The onion, spices and oil form a caramelised sauce.

Put rice on to boil. Serve the potatoes on the rice

You could of course fry the rice briefly before adding the water to make a pilau and then garnish with sliced fried onions and whole cumin and mustard seeds.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • use half this recipe as a topping for spaghetti and keep half to use the next day in a bake, it can also be used to fill baked potatoes

1 tbsp oil
    1 onion chopped
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    1 large carrot finely diced
    100g mushrooms chopped
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    250g can chopped tomatoes
    50g bulgar wheat
    1 tbsp soy sauce

heat the oil and fry the onion garlic and carrot for 5 mins, then add the mushrooms and cook for 5 more mins. add the remaining ingredients and pour in 200 ml water and bring to the boil. simmer, covered, for 15 mins.

i tried this and it wasnt bad but i didnt like the bulgar wheat i think it would have been better without it, or with lentils instead.

the 'bake' recipe is use half the above sauce, in a casserole dish. cover with 1 thinly sliced tomato and 25g grated cheese. then top with 200g potato sliced. brush with oil / marg and bake at 200c for 30 mins
  • Hi

Does anyone have a simple recipe for vegetarian sausages (not cheesy ones) please? I've googled and googled and beginning to despair...... I've tried the granose mix from Holland and Barrett but found it to be too soft - nothing like sausage texture. I quite like the cauldron sausages but apart from being expensive are very salty.

Thanks
    Northernlights
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Theres some on one of Weezls living on 50p a day threads - put on there by Mrs M (sorry cant recall her full "name").
  • Not so fattening pasta

- 200g can chopped tomatoes
    - 1 clove garlic crushed
    - 2 tsp tomato puree
    - 75g brocoli florets
    - 1 carrot diced
    - 50-75g pasta
    - salt and pepper

put water on boil for pasta and cook according to packet. in a small pan bring the tomatoes, garlic and puree to the boil then simmer gently for 15 mins. over this pan place a steamer/colander and steam the brocolli and carrot. drain the pasta, arrange the brocolli and carrots on top and cover with the tomato sauce. season well.
  • callywally
    callywally Posts: 358 Forumite
    Am trying to cut down on what I spend on food every month, any ideas on what I should stock up my cupboards with to help save in the long run. am a single veggie and try to eat healthy foods as much as possible. I have a small freezer and am willing to cook from scratch, just need some ideas please. Thanks
    sonnyboy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi callywally,

They aren't necessarily for a single person but these threads might give you some inspiration:

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Gingham's Vegetarian Meal Planner

Gingham's vegetarian meal planner - SUMMER

Gingham's vegetarian menu planner SPRING

Vegan and vegetarian food on the cheap

A vegetarian meal planner, please

Vegetarian OSers

Cooking for the freezer - vegetarian

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

This site has some great veggie/vegan recipes, healthy and cheap.
    http://www.frugal.org.uk/recipes.html
    Thanks, I've just made the bean burgers. I was unsure what they'd be like with the oats in them but they are really nice, if I wasn't told I'd not know they had oats in them. They could do with a little egg to hold them together IMO.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport