Taking your own food/drink to cinema

Comments

• robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always take stuff in with me, always.

If Cineworld asked to check my bags, i'd be inclined to walk out, head to a supermarket spend £100.00 on food, go back get a ticket and settle down and wtach a show.

When asked about searching my bags, yes of course, I assume you will be checking all the bags and wil be willing to complete a full inventory of all the contents. Of course I expect that they will issue me with a reciept for said items.
    And of course requesting items be refrigerated where appropriate.

Should cineworld be happy to do this, then I would be more than happy to sit down in one of thier cinemas and enjoy the show.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • Chutzpah
    Chutzpah Posts: 109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My wife has an SIA badge (security industry authority) and if I've understood her previously in the past they would have no right to demand to search your bag, only the police can do that (i.e. it will be voluntary).

But if you didn't agree to your bag being searched they would be within their rights not to admit you.

Agree about the general cost of food and drink in cinemas though.
  • You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema? Very little, if any of the ticket price will go to the cinema - most/all of their profit is made from additional merchandise such as food and drink.

But then again, I guess you people will be the first to complain when the cinema in your hometown closes down.

What kind of example is it to set to your children when the rules clearly state "No food and drink", yet you willfully encourage them to break the rules?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema? Very little, if any of the ticket price will go to the cinema - most/all of their profit is made from additional merchandise such as food and drink.

But then again, I guess you people will be the first to complain when the cinema in your hometown closes down.

What kind of example is it to set to your children when the rules clearly state "No food and drink", yet you willfully encourage them to break the rules?

This from the Cineworld site in the T & C

Cineworld have a strict NO FOOD AND DRINK policy. We reserve the right to refuse customers entry into the screens with food or drink bought outside the premises. All our cinemas display the necessary signage, advising customers of this policy.
    As a food operator we offer a wide range of drinks and snacks to satisfy our customers but also protect our cinema furnishings and customers clothing. Not all movie-goers are considerate of others in their snack choices and we have needed to set clearer guidelines on what is appropriate.

Wonder how many actually enforce it? And I suppose their soft drinks, when spilled, don't produce a sticky mess, unlike shop bought ones?:rotfl:
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I happen to think it's exceptionally mean spirited and cynical of cinemas to charge £3.00 for syrup and carbonated water with an unfeasible amount of ice thrown in for good measure.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • So there you go, it's in the terms and conditions.

Of course, they should just catch a few people who take in outside food and drink and throw them out without refund. It would be particularly satisfying if they hired some qualified security to conduct searches, especially if it was made clear that being caught on the premises with outside purchased food/drink would result in being asked to leave the premises.

edit : Mean spirited and cynical? No, it really isn't. They're a business. They exist to make money.

If they charged 'high street' prices for food and drink, they would soon be out of business. It's that simple.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • sarah1980
    sarah1980 Posts: 450 Forumite
    My MIL actually took a McDonalds meal in with her (Lords knows why! I think she'd come straight from work and had no time to eat beforehand). SHe managed to sit down in the cinema, film started and about 10 mins in she got thrown out! Must have been the projectionist cos she and her OH were the only ones in there.

I wouldn't personally be happy with stinky McDonalds food spoiling my enjoyment of the film, but a bag of sweets is OK.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Thing is, can they stop you or kick you out for doing that?
    They don't need a reason to kick you out, you are on their property. Though if they did they would lose loads of money so they tend not to, the local vue don't seem to care about whatever you bring in.
    But I went to Cineworld and they check your bags and if you have stuff in them they take your bags away.

That's illegal, they can't steal your bags from you.
    You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema?

Selfish? It's business, the seller with the best price gets the sales, customers are not a chraity, if you can't compete you die. In a time of recession people are less likely to buy food from the cinema than ever.
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    I would never buy food from the cinema itself, mostly because it's overpriced junk. In any case, if they take bags away from people, surely it would be so very easy to complain to the manager later that something valuable had been stolen from it?

I personally go to art-house Picturehouses if possible, where there is a distinct lack of rustling, slurping, and popcorn-throwing, as people presumably have more of an appreciation of why they went to a cinema in the first place.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    [quote=Energize;17916101

That's illegal, they can't steal your bags from you.

.[/quote]

If they give them back when you leave it's not stealing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family