Childcare Costs discussion

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the new

Childcare Costs article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• aw1_2
    aw1_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I started my own business a year ago. I work more than 16 hrs a week and my husband works full time also. He is entitled to childcare vouchers but it seems I am entitled to nothing or at least that is what I have been told in the past. Could you tell me the limit that I am allowed to earn (excluding dividends in the company) in order to qualify for help with childcare costs.
  • Rince
    Rince Posts: 320 Forumite
    Hi, are you classed as self employed ? My husband is self employed and when we asked if he could claim the voucher we were told he couldn't because he was self employed ! I claim the voucher through my employer. We normally earn approx £41K so we don't get any help off the benefits for childcare. We have 2 children in nursery and the bill is approx £1200 a month. We are really struggling to pay everything as my husband is one of the many people who have been laid off in the building trade.
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    from the article
    While the payment is for a year’s costs, it’s averaged out

Sadly, at this point, the Government could’ve made it a little less confusing. Your childcare costs over the year are averaged out and paid to you each week or month.

Thus if you’ve got higher costs at one time, you don’t get more money then, even though it’s been factored in to your year round payout. So you need to try to budget the cost over 12 months. Use the free Budget Planner to help.

Due to govenment funding my childcare costs can vary sometimes, such as from 01/08/08 my chilcare costs go from £110 a week up to £150 a week.
    I call the tax credits and inform them of this change and do get the extra paid.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • For those in Greater London - it looks as if the FREE SUMMER UNI courses for 8 to 25 year olds are under-subscribed due to poor publicity. These are mostly week long practical courses in a huge variety of interesting subjects - from sports to IT- that are very appealing to young people They run across the region, and although the courses on offer vary from borough to borough, there seems to be no reason why you can't cross borough boundaries to find the one you want. Not only does this get them off your hands for a week, but it will keep them busy and happy- hey they might even learn something! See details on https://www.summerunilondon.org.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    from the article

Due to govenment funding my childcare costs can vary sometimes, such as from 01/08/08 my chilcare costs go from £110 a week up to £150 a week.
    I call the tax credits and inform them of this change and do get the extra paid.

One of the factors for how much you get is how much you pay - so its very possble (though as always never definite) that yes you will get more - tell it as soon as possible though....
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify something, while the self-employed can't get childcare vouchers, they are eligible for childcare tax credit (or as it technically is 'the childcare element of working tax credit).
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    One of the factors for how much you get is how much you pay - so its very possble (though as always never definite) that yes you will get more - tell it as soon as possible though....
    I do get the full 80% of help so that may also be a factor.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • Rince
    Rince Posts: 320 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Just to clarify something, while the self-employed can't get childcare vouchers, they are eligible for childcare tax credit (or as it technically is 'the childcare element of working tax credit).

Is this for if you are on a low income self employed? My husband (Self employed) usually earns about £18K. I've told the Tax credits people and they say we're not entitled to anything. (I'm on £23K), so he earns too much to claim the childcare element of working tax credits and can't claim the childcare voucher.
  • bestmumof3
    bestmumof3 Posts: 67 Forumite
    <P>I wonder if someone could help.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>I am due to start university next month, full time.  Therefore my childcare costs will increase to £180 per week (3 children).</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>My husband works full-time.  However, I have been advised that because I will not be working 16 hours I will not be entitled to any help with childcare from Tax Credits.  </P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>I really dont know how we will afford this level of childcare.</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Anyone any ideas.</P>
  • Hi there,

Can someone tell me if we're entitled to more child tax credits because of childcare costs?

My husband works full time and earns £32k p.a
    I am disabled and receive incapacity benefit of £4896 p.a
    I am also on DLA lower rate care & high mobility.

Although I am at home, my illness requires me to have regular rest and as a result we pay for child minding 10hrs a week plus 15hrs one week in four. Our childminding costs come to about £200 a month.

We are currently receiving child tax credits of £88 per month.

My husband has claimed for child care vouchers and has been told we are entitled to £80 in vouchers per month. However, as I require all of my benefits to pay for my own care needs and my hubby needs all his money to pay the rent and the bills, is there any other help such as extended tax credits etc.?

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport