Neighbours scaffolding partially on my property!!

Comments

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 215 Forumite
    The less fuss you make, the quicker the job will be done and the scaffold gone...
    The rubbish, a very valid point. Catch a couple of the builders. make them a cup of tea and it will be gone, no doubt.

I would imagine the scaff contractor assumed yours was also an authority home.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Considering how many people have taken the trouble to offer their opinions and suggestions, it would be nice if the OP came back and let us know how things are going and what she's decided to do.
  • Scaffolding encroaching on the neighbours land would probably come under the Party Wall Act. What work are they having done? Are you a local authority tenant as well?

No. Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 (c. 23)
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    TomsMom wrote: »
    Considering how many people have taken the trouble to offer their opinions and suggestions, it would be nice if the OP came back and let us know how things are going and what she's decided to do.
    Hear! Hear! I wish that more people would tell us how their problems worked out. Most of us are on here because we are nosy. In the nicest sort of way, of course.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wendywhite Last Activity: Today 6:48 AM

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Hi,

I am not the op obviously, but today I had the same (well similar) problem. My neighbours are having some rendering done (we are not attached, and there is a double pathway between the 2 houses with a fence in between the 2). The scaffolding started to be erected yesterday and previously my neighbour had asked if he could encroach on my path at the side of my house (totally seperate from my front garden). I said yes of course so long as i could get the bins down which we can. Earlier this evening, i looked out of my front window to find a man with a very large scaffolding pole standing on my grass, erecting some of the scaffolding from my side. No indication from the neighbour that this would happen, no enquiry as to this being ok with me.

Now he owns his house, I privately rent mine, so dont have that many legal rights with regards ownership etc. The builders told me they could by law, but it annoys me cause my flowers are squashed by a large board (supporting the pole) as is my grass. and i have to duck to get down my path or go onto my grass and over the pole to get out. I already moved my car further up the road for them earlier whilst they had delivery of the plaster/cement/sand whatever lol!

I just want to say thanks to all that answered the previous question cause mine have been answered with regards laws etc!! Just frustrating that they didnt ask properly and i have to go tell the agents tomorrow that its up! grrrr lol
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!! There is a private property being built at the end of our privately owned garden, the other side of our 6ft fence. My youngest son rang me this morning to say he just saw a builder jump over our fence into our garden with a scaffold pole, stand on something and leapt back over the fence! I've just got home and they've erected a walkway over our fence then across half of our shed with a pole supporting it in our garden!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

We've had absolutely NO communication from them and there's no contact address anywhere. I'm fuming to say the least especially as our fence is very old and can't really cope with burley builders leaping over it and no way can I afford to replace it if they trash it, not only that all manner of !!!! is now going to be falling over our shed!!!

Surely this behaviour is unacceptable on your own property????????? :(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    edited 29 November 2011 at 7:01PM
    Right so the Council Building Control Department say it's a Police 101 matter due to the tresspassing, but the Police say it's Civil Trespass and they only deal with criminal law (which is obviously correct!) and to see CAB or a solicitor if the council won't do anything. Byt the time you've done that the building will probably be finished!!!!!!!!

So once again you're caught in the mddle of everyone and the perpetrator gets away with it while the innocent have to shut up and put up?
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy wrote: »
    Right so the Council Building Control Department say it's a Police 101 matter due to the tresspassing, but the Police say it's Civil Trespass and they only deal with criminal law (which is obviously correct!) and to see CAB or a solicitor if the council won't do anything. Byt the time you've done that the building will probably be finished!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of buck-passing.

In your position, I probably would be in contact with the owner of the building co. Don't listen to anything about how they have the legal right to do this. They only have the right if a court gives them the right.

I remember when builders wanted to get to a wall at the bottom of my elderly father's garden, (the wall belonged to an adjoining property), and they told him that, by Law, they had the right of access. He believed them, and for a few weeks, he allowed builders to walk through his house i.e. in the front door and out the back door, to get access to the wall.
  • savvy
    mart.vader wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of buck-passing.

In your position, I probably would be in contact with the owner of the building co. Don't listen to anything about how they have the legal right to do this. They only have the right if a court gives them the right.

I remember when builders wanted to get to a wall at the bottom of my elderly father's garden, (the wall belonged to an adjoining property), and they told him that, by Law, they had the right of access. He believed them, and for a few weeks, he allowed builders to walk through his house i.e. in the front door and out the back door, to get access to the wall.
    OMG poor bloke, I hate people who walk all over others without any regard........hence why this has wound me up so much icon8.gif Thanks for that, I'll have to go out and talk to them in the morning.....and then hopefully the council will ring me back. I've managed to refrain from trying to tearing it all down so far, just need to hold on a bit longer :mad::mad: :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure