IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Crown Wharf Shopping Park, Walsall

Went shopping while visiting family for the weekend and parked here. Originally missed all the signs but after 30mins we paid with loose change for 2hrs parking. As time started running out we paid for another 2hrs, being asked to enter the number plate both times. In the end, we paid for 4hrs and parked for just under that.

Two weeks later, I received a "fine" (what I now realise is an invoice) for £50, increasing to £80 or then £110 if I failed to pay up within adequate time.

Initially, I wrote to the to appeal (as I thought this was the appropriate term based on the guidance on the back of the invoice). I stated when and where I paid for the parking and that I had paid with loose change so had no proof of purchase. I hadn't kept the tickets from the machine and stated the thought that I should do was unreasonable. I requested that they review CCTV footage from the car park to witness me paying for my parking and asked that they checked in case I mis-keyed my number plate into the pay machine, (although I doubted that even I would do this twice). I did however, provide receipts of my purchase in the shops there and offered further proof of shopping at Crown Wharf.

I finally received a letter stating that my appeal was unsuccessful but I am galled to pay when I legitimately paid for parking at the time! However, I have no proof of purchase and although the advice seems to be "don't respond" and don't use the term "appeal", I've done both of these things and now wonder where I stand if I refuse to pay?

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You stand wherever you like. There is nothing needed more than just ignore them. What you will find is that by appealing you will get a few extra threatening letters as they think they have a hooked fish.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just ignore them - it's a scam.

Dunno why one earth people 'appeal' just because a spoof PCN tells them they should. It didn't come from a Council or the Police so why so believing of pseudo-authority? Only in Britain...!

Anyway no harm done really. Ignore all the letters from now on.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As advised ignore them, another example of their fair appeals system.
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Dunno why one earth people 'appeal' just because a spoof PCN tells them they should.

Simple really. They didn't check out this and similar forums first, they are not aware of the scam, and think they should follow the process.

Mind you, some people check out the forums, and still appeal and panic about the non-consequences, despite the reams of evidence they should simply ignore and move on.
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Perhaps another sticky to join those stating the advice just to re-iterate and remove ANY ambiguity, stating "There is NO FAIR APPEAL with a PPC, it is AUTOMATICALLY REFUSED, they will then ramp up the invoice and demand even more in Late Payment Fees!; could go up as people are still questioning the accepted Pack Drill Ignore them Ignore them some more, then some more until they give up and look elsewhere for their beer tokens.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Mind you, some people check out the forums, and still appeal and panic about the non-consequences, despite the reams of evidence they should simply ignore and move on.

Really???? You mean that the 5000 odd-threads on here all saying ignore is not enough to help people????? Surely not, lol!!!!!!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Whilst ever he money is still in your possession, you are winning the "appeal" .
    These FAKE parking tickets are scams that impersonate authority as closely as possible and they have no more right to fine you than I have to fine you £100 for leaving your back door closed on a warm day.
    Ignore them and Ignore all the silly Fake debt collectors letters and fake solicitors letters to go with the fake parking ticket they gave you.
    Get ready, here come the letters, one after another, after another, after another, ramping up the fake bill.
    Some mugs do actually pay these, they work all week sweating to give their wage to a lazy pie scoffing crook.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • tco03
    tco03 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Wish i had read this post a few weeks ago, i sent them a cheque in the post.

I had never noticed the change to parking eye it was always a free carpark as far as i knew.
  • tco03 wrote: »
    Wish i had read this post a few weeks ago, i sent them a cheque in the post.

I had never noticed the change to parking eye it was always a free carpark as far as i knew.

Just be aware that they might come back for more money! They often claim (more so with Cheques) that you have not paid in time, oh dear, what a shame, so you owe us more money... please send us more!

So, don't fall for it twice and don't worry about falling for it in the first place... around 65% or more people pay up at some point.

Keep your money in your pocket and ignore them, nothing will happen!
  • I have read alot of threads regarding Parking eye and them being Scams and to ignore the letters, how are you so sure its a scam and they never go to court or send in the bailiffs.
    Their letter states they are a memeber of the bpa association.
    please help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport