Can I end TalkTalk early?

I'm having a nightmare with TalkTalk. I used to be on their fibre product at a previous address and all was good. I moved to a new address that didn't have fibre and they moved me from fibre to ADSL. Worst still I lost my special price which saw me paying £25 for fibre and phone to now pay £35 for ADSL and phone.

On top of the above my ADSL is useless. It drops a lot, it's slow and I spend more time using my 3G/4G than I do my broadband. It's a real pain and I hate the thought that I'm paying for it.

Recently we got fibre on our road. I called TalkTalk to try and resolve my problems but they wanted a further £7 per month to upgrade to fibre plus £50 connection fee. I don't mind the connection fee but I'm not paying a penny more a month for fibre.

I've read in the news that BT are raising their prices and that others may follow. Is this a chance to jump from TalkTalk? If their prices raise can I end the contract?

I want out asap and I'll head to another provider. They damaged my faith in them when they stopped their mobile all you can eat sim suddenly and now this broadband issue has put me off them for life.

I want out. Simple.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they send a letter stating a price rise then you will have 30 days to cancel .
  • Is that for any price rise or does it have to be over a certain %?

Would they do it by letter? My correspondence with them seems to be all email.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    What price rise? You can't ask them for a different product and then claim the increased price entitles you to leave.

If they officially by any means notify you of a rise of any amount in your current package then that entitles you to leave penalty free within 30 days of the notification.
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    What price rise? You can't ask them for a different product and then claim the increased price entitles you to leave.

If they officially by any means notify you of a rise of any amount in your current package then that entitles you to leave penalty free within 30 days of the notification.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not looking to exit because a newer product would be more expensive. That is simple a gripe of mine, one of several. However I am enquiring if they raise their prices of my current product can I quit.

The fact I'm annoyed about being charged more for a lesser product is a separate issue. Better customer service may have seen them restore my previous service now it's available here but that's up to them. As it happens they didn't win my custom back and added to everything else it's now making me wait excitedly for a rise in their general pricing so I can quit them and head elsewhere.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You've had the answer you need.
    kwikbreaks wrote: »

NB my emphasis
  • pmduk wrote: »
    You've had the answer you need.

NB my emphasis

Yeah, I saw that and accepted the answer ....?
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi MickeyDaMouse

Have you spoken with our loyalty team about your package?

Vicky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MickeyDaMouse
    MickeyDaMouse Posts: 97 Forumite
    Yes I did. They couldn't offer me anything other than £50 connection fee and £7 extra a month. So it's more expense for a package that used to cost me less.

I wouldn't mind, but I used to get fibre for cheap from talktalk. I moved to a none fibre area and paid more for Adsl than I was paying for fibre. Now it's available where I am they want to charge me more again for fibre. It actually works out cheaper to wait for a price increase, cancel and sign up with one of the other service providers for fibre.

I've had my Adsl drop out 5 times tonight with talktalk. Only for a few seconds each time but it's enough to disconnect my online gaming and boot me out of games I've spent ages in. Or stop streaming a movie on the tv. I suspect fibre would cure this as it seems more stable but I don't want to pay more.

The loyalty team could not offer anything different to what the website offered as standard. So my better option seems to be to wait for the price increase and jump when / if it comes.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi MickeyDaMouse,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your services. Please get in touch with us on Twitter (@TalkTalkCare) and we'll be happy to look at your connection for you.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I certainly would not pay more for fibre with TalkTalk because the cut outs are almost as bad as having ADSL. Instead of the regular 6 cut outs a night on ADSL I now get 3/4 on medium fibre but I did not expect to get any having fibre to be honest. Oh well we live and learn.

I am now waiting to leave too since upgrading to medium fibre as they call it. It is rubbish and so blooming slow.

I do feel for you because the cut outs are so annoying when you are in the middle of doing something especially if it is important.

If you are offered Medium Fibre with TalkTalk I wouldn't take it because it is rubbish and just as bad as ADSL in my opinion.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure