Comments

• mnt99york
    mnt99york Posts: 129 Forumite
    I got this one today:

paypalscam.jpg
  • merri-drake
    merri-drake Posts: 95 Forumite
    icon4.gifURGENT - Phishing Scam doing the rounds
    Hi - Sorry I do not know where to post this so everyone can see it. :confused:

I thought I would let you all know about a phishing email I received yesterday with the author masquerading as Paypal.
    The email stated that I had purchased a leather bound copy of an encyclopaedia for $199 and said that payment would be coming from my paypal account. It also had one of those big shiny 'PUSH ME!' style buttons in the middle of the email stating that if I had not authorised the payment to 'click here'.
    I realised that these emails are forever doing the rounds, but this one looks remarkably good even though on further inspection you can see it is a spoof.
    If you receive this email :eek: DO NOT OPEN IT :eek: but instead forward to [EMAIL="spoof@paypal.com"]spoof@paypal.com[/EMAIL] so it can be dealt with by their security department.
    Unfortunately I know someone who was stung for £600 by this scam so please be aware.
    Best Wishes, Katie
    Debt as of 20th Aug 2009 -£6600 and falling :j
  • merri-drake
    merri-drake Posts: 95 Forumite
    sorry mnt99york, the one above is exactly the one i was sent...
    I did forward it to paypal - spoof@paypal.com
    Debt as of 20th Aug 2009 -£6600 and falling :j
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    I spot them in one second.

My PayPal email is only used by Paypal so if the address to me is not that address I know its a fake.

Same goes for my bank and credit cards, every one has thier own Email address and only them.

Simple but effective, I would never click a link in an Email anyway and would go to the site requesting action through my normal links.

I would add my system aslo makes it easy to filter all spam to my spam folder as I run my own spam trap.
  • ***FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement***‏ From: eBay Team (noreply@secure.com) Sent: 01 June 2008 04:58:48 Reply-to: [EMAIL="noreply@secure.com"]noreply@secure.com[/EMAIL] ebay_95x39.gif s.gif [FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif] Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.[/FONT]
    ltCurve.gif [FONT=Arial, Verdana]FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement - Abusing eBay - [/FONT] rtCurve.gifs.gifs.gifs.gifYour eBay account has been suspended. eBay took this action after determining that your account was acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.

You are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes using another existing account or registering a new account.

Any seller fees that are still owed are due to eBay immediately. eBay will charge any amounts that you have not previously disputed to the billing method that is currently on file.
    1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).
    2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
    3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.
    4. Fraud Alert - Somone tried to sign in to eBay but not successful.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

View the dispute thread to respond If your account information is not updated within 24 hours then your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.
    Thank you
    The eBay Billing Deptartment
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana] Copyright © 2008 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
    [/FONT]
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Nice try, but my ebay toolbar's still signed in and refreshing normally.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • mil0xx0
    mil0xx0 Posts: 7 Forumite
    You can spot this easliy because eBay will never ask you to fill out some form in your email. If they'll do it, they will sent you a message in your account inbox. If you do click on those links in the email you can see from the address bar that you aren't dealing with the real eBaypoint.gif
  • eyelinerprincess
    eyelinerprincess Posts: 4,679
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know, all the emails from ebay and paypal go into my ebay and paypal folders, so I can spot any straight away, but this thread is still handy to have for people who aren't sure if the email is legit or not.
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • mcrfan
    mcrfan Posts: 165 Forumite
    Has anyone had any strange emails supposedly from paypal over the past few days? I have had 2 - they look v convincing but the sending email address is a bit strange - it has paypal in it but also has lots of letters and numbers. I have hovered my mouse over the links to see the address and it is email1.paypal.co.uk and letters and numbers. So I'm guessing they are spoofs and I have forwarded them to paypal.
    But the worrying thing is both these emails have my full name - how are these phishers getting people's names?? I am very concerned about this! Has anyone else has this?

One message is this huge email saying paypal are changing their ts and cs and loads of rambling about fees etc. the other one is advertising ebay.
    They are more subtle and don't actually ask for your login details but they have links at the bottom to "contact us" and "log in" etc.

I get loads of spoof emails and usually just fire them off to ebay or paypal and delete but these two worry me as they have my name....
    DMP with Payplan
    DMP Support number 287
    Trying to lose lbs and save £££s!
  • I think those ones are fine, a few of us got the one about T&C and they regularly advertise ebay. If you're at all suspicious, send it to spoof, I've done that before with a paypal email that I didn't think was real and it was, and they'll verify it for you.
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport