Those who are waiting to TTC (New Thread)

Comments

• lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    pm04gn wrote: »
    I sometimes think there is never a right time if you tried hard enough there is always a reason to put it off for a bit longer. However at some point you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. It takes 9 months minimum to end up with a baby and that's if you get lucky first go. Lots of things can change from a job/life point of view that you just can't plan for.
    My OH keeps banging on about depleting the savings pot with the new car. He forgets that I'm going to be working for at least another year filling the lot back up again.
    Lack of forward thinking!

Lulu just tell him it's happening, fail to get any spare pills and see what happens. At that point he will no doubt just go along and have accepted it.

Thanks for the advice :) I did accidentally on purpose run out of pills and I ended up having to buy 6 months worth at his insistence (£25! :o)

His main points for putting it off, and my reaction to them:
    - We're on about buying a house in January.
    I'm not going to have a baby or be going on maternity leave by January. Yes I might not want to do much moving but we have a whole host of people who can help out.
    - Credit card debt.
    All £1500 of it. It's not that much, it's interest free until next July-ish and we have no other debt
    - Wanting to be able to give baby everything it needs without family intervention
    Okay, I kind of won him over on this one. Families will help out regardless of if you tell them not to. It's like an unwritten rule. My parents have told me they are buying one of everything (cot/pram/etc) for their house as well which made OH feel better.

I really want to drill it in his head that there is NO such thing as a perfect time. I think we are in a decent place as we will get the house sorted, I get yearly pay rise and quarterly bonuses as well (bonuses could go straight in baby fund - over the year is an additional 10% of my salary, none too shabby for me)

I also want him to realise that I'm going mad about it because I'm so excited for the time that I get to tell him he's going to be a dad and I want to have his children (because, let's face it, they'll be gorgeous :))
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• tillyenna
    tillyenna Posts: 276 Forumite
    Eeek, we went to see a house today! And all things going well should be going to put a holding deposit down tomorrow. Still only renting, but it's got 3 bedrooms and a garden - and enough room in the master bedroom for a double bed and a co-sleeper cot (I'd love to co-sleep properly, but I suffer from night terrors, so it's probably not safe) - so exciting to imagine us having a family there!

Hope everyone else is doing OK :-) and the waiting isn't getting too much!
    Officially saved enough to cover the cost of our wedding! :A
  • lulu_92
    tillyenna wrote: »
    Eeek, we went to see a house today! And all things going well should be going to put a holding deposit down tomorrow. Still only renting, but it's got 3 bedrooms and a garden - and enough room in the master bedroom for a double bed and a co-sleeper cot (I'd love to co-sleep properly, but I suffer from night terrors, so it's probably not safe) - so exciting to imagine us having a family there!

Hope everyone else is doing OK :-) and the waiting isn't getting too much!

Ooooh congrats tilly :) sounds like a proper family home.

I'm on my last box now. made OH pinky promise (that's a big deal to us!) that this will be the last box! So TTC could start on 24th September! eeeeeek.

Hope everyone is all good :)

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tilly - that sounds great! Lovely family home :)
    lulu - ooh that's not long :D

So, I think me and DH have about 3 weeks til we're going to officially start to TTC! :j :j cannot wait!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    tilly - that sounds great! Lovely family home :)
    lulu - ooh that's not long :D

So, I think me and DH have about 3 weeks til we're going to officially start to TTC! :j :j cannot wait!

3 weeks isn't long at all, are you excited/nervous or both? :)

We had another talk this week as at the moment I am struggling to see a way to make the figures work without us both working a minimum or four days a week (or me working FT, which I don't want). That's based on us buying a modest property in the spring at a price that might be unrealistic with the current market. MAT leave not so much an issue, I can save to cover that, but it's more the month to month living that concerns me.

If I work 4 and hubby works 3 days a week we'd have around £500 left after all outgoings for ourselves but I worry that's not enough. I don't want to be living month to month or not being able to afford small treats or have back up funds in case there is an emergency. Has anyone else thought this far ahead? Our option is to stay renting but get a nice/bigger house as that would cost a few hundred less than an equivalent mortgage. I do get an annual bonus that's worth around 25% of my salary but I wouldn't want to rely on it just to pay bills etc. Sorry for my ramblings but I work in finance and I am a planner, not one of those who will manage 'because you have to' :rotfl:.

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    3 weeks isn't long at all, are you excited/nervous or both? :)
    Both! I'm excited because we've waited quite a while for this moment, but nervous as it's a massive change and I don't know how I'll handle being pregnant!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jtr2803, personally I would buy a house now if you have the opportunity and it's suitable for you at the moment. I can't see prices dropping any time soon.

Do you have a bit of flexibility regarding work? If you were able to go back 3/4 days a week, then increase it if needed, or do the odd extra day here and there? Or OH could go back FT?

£500 left per month wouldn't be bad if absolutely everything is budgeted for but I'm totally with you on wanting to feel really secure financially.
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Beckyy wrote: »
    jtr2803, personally I would buy a house now if you have the opportunity and it's suitable for you at the moment. I can't see prices dropping any time soon.

Do you have a bit of flexibility regarding work? If you were able to go back 3/4 days a week, then increase it if needed, or do the odd extra day here and there? Or OH could go back FT?

£500 left per month wouldn't be bad if absolutely everything is budgeted for but I'm totally with you on wanting to feel really secure financially.

The price and interest rate issue is what worries me. I think work will be pretty flexible and I was hoping to use KIT days and annual leave so I could possibly phase from 2 days up to 4 over a few months. Unfortunately, because of our earnings difference, OH going back FT wouldn't help much once we paid for child care and I am a bit of the mind (and appreciate it might change) that I don't want to willing have a baby only to have it childminded all the time. I think my limit would be for both of us to work 4 days a week so that out of 7 days, we would be able to cover the majority.

I have been playing with figures again today and I think if I did two slightly longer days on the days hubby was at home, that would give us just that bit extra to make things much more manageable. OH probably could get some OT or weekend work but I hate relying on it. This is all based on a mortgage value in my calculation, if it ends up being higher I think we might have to park the idea entirely :(. Meh!

I could do with a crystal ball to see how much our house is, when I fall pregnant and how good my bonus for the next two years is lol :D

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • lulu_92
    58 pills to go...

• kansaskitty
    kansaskitty Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    86 days until October half term and we can begin to TTC! Took some maternity shots of my SIL today, what am I, torturing myself!?
    :heartsmil Stay-at-home-mummy of two, pinching the pennies but loving it! :heartsmil
    :grin:Spreadsheeter, piggybanker, envelope-system user!:grin:
    :exclamati Debt £1400/£6500 21.5% :exclamati
    :question: Emergency Fund £0/£500 0% :question:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills