Different Pay Grade - Same job Title.

Comments

• London50 wrote: »
    Could not agree more the equal pay act came in donkeys years ago and still men are paid more than women in most fields and no one seems prepared or able to pass a law making it right for equal pay for equal jobs.
    I was driving for a company that supplied Fords during the 1968 strike and supported those women 100% and refused to cross the picket line, yet today there are so many cases as the OP has.
    I think one of the other problems is that people {understandably} vent their rage on these sites but as a collective are to scared to "rock the boat" as they could loose their job and until the workforce as a whole stands up for rights nothing will change.
    OK I was lucky being born when I was as {after a few years} jobs for life was the order of the day, it was your choice, you walked away from one job at tea break and had a new job by teatime {or at a push the following morning} and I know that is not the case now, for that alone I do feel so sorry for todays workforce.
    We can only hope that someone somewhere starts a drive that people can get behind and sort this long overdue mess out.
    Actually this isn't true and I believe up to the age of about 41 on average the woman is paid more.

There is a difference between the pay rates for men and women and the gender pay gap which people don't seem to understand.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Actually this isn't true and I believe up to the age of about 41 on average the woman is paid more.

There is a difference between the pay rates for men and women and the gender pay gap which people don't seem to understand.

I bow then to your better knowledge but IMO there should not be any difference between men and woman if they are doing the same job. There is no reason why a man should get a better pay rate if the work is the same.
    When I drove HGV's there were a number of female drivers that could {and did} out do their male counterparts with driving skills and getting the loads delivered on time yet they were paid less.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

I suspect you might be thinking of the data for part time workers only - the data I have seen had women paid less than men at all ages for full time work.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2016provisionalresults#earnings-by-age-group
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • London50 wrote: »
    it was your choice, you walked away from one job at tea break and had a new job by teatime {or at a push the following morning} and I know that is not the case now, for that alone I do feel so sorry for todays workforce.

Agree with everything thing else but it's absolutely individual motivation for getting a new job.

The one I used to work with that was let go only start of the week starts new job tomorrow back in their old profession of bar maid - lady very much after my own heart on the get up quick aspect. Perhaps it only happens in East Anglia but I'm not sure that it takes years to get another job.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite

Could you please provide the source for this claim? Every major study of pay that I have ever seen says the opposite, so I'd like to know on what basis such a claim could be made. It is accepted as fact that as a gender, women are paid less than men, AND that there is a substantial gender gap in pay. Every report supports that proposition. I'm surprised that one saying the opposite has escaped my attention.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 9:10AM
    The whole gender pay gap thing sails over my head, but i am curious.

When we talk about gender pay gap, are we talking about specific jobs, be they cleaning or accounting jobs, paid differently as regards gender; or are we talking lifetime earnings in an occupation?

Given that it's illegal to pay people differently for the same work ( excluding a difference for experience), I am confused.

I have one woman driver and she's paid the same hourly amount as the men, it wouldn't occur to me that she could be paid less.
  • bugslet wrote: »

When we talk about gender pay gap, are we talking about specific jobs, be they cleaning or accounting jobs, paid differently as regards gender; or are we talking lifetime earnings in an occupation?

Given that it's illegal to pay people differently for the same work ( excluding a difference for experience), I am confused.

I have one woman driver and she's paid the same hourly amount as the men, it wouldn't occur to me that she could be paid less.

When you are talking about a job that has a defined hourly rate then I would imagine it's rare you get any discrimination (and clearly illegal).

When everyone is salaried and nobody is paid the same amount as anybody else is where the difficulties arise. Although women are being paid on average less than men, it's quite possible that a woman would be paid more than anyone else and man be on the lowest, so it becomes more complicated to evaluate.
  • tawecdl
    tawecdl Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for your response,

I do believe they were in a higher role previously and then demoted but kept their salary and perks,

It just feels unfair although it is fair when you look at in from the outside in.

The job role in 6 month probation, 2 months in now. I suppose it is a case of riding the remaining 4 months out and negotiate better next time round. Obviously ensuring there is a plan B if negotiation fails.

Thank you for all your advice.
    :j
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    bugslet wrote: »

You are probably going to regret asking that, but the answer is neither. The gender gap is the difference between the average wage or salary in any given unit - where the unit may be anything, such as a single occupation, a company, or a geography. The rational is easy. In theoretical terms, given that there is no substantive difference the genders in employment terms, the average for women ought to be about the same as the average for men. This should not be affected by numbers of people in employment, because the average figures even out ant numerical differences. All things being equal, there should be no average difference!

The gender gap does not, however, measure equal pay as such, although that is a factor in the results. It also measures things such as salary balance - where there is a large gender gap, that can actually happen even if men and women are always paid equally, because the imbalance would be accounted for the prevalence of men in higher paid jobs and women in lower paid and part-time jobs. So it is also indicative of a glass ceiling, not just pay rates. It provides a quantifiable measurement of how equal the genders are in terms of employment. It would be possible to ensure that every employer paid equal pay, but that wouldn't eliminate the gender gap.

Does that answer the question?
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Yes it does and no I don't regret asking!:)

I suspect that part of any gap is simply that women are more likely to take time out to raise children than men and they either lose out on a promotion whilst they are off, they maybe take a few years out and they aren't as up to date, they've lost contacts. Work that doesn't have career progression as such, (cleaning, driving jobs), probably doesn't suffer such a big gap????

I know the theory is that paternity leave is there to encourage men to take time off as well/instead of, but I'm guessing biologically and possibly financially, women are the more likely to stay at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure