'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con – food labelling must improve' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• matty_art
    matty_art Posts: 219
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...
  • Is this like that Jonathan Maitland bloke saying 6 doughnuts are healthier than a fruit smoothie?

I gave up on that bloke when he was describing the World Wide Web as the Internet once.
  • It's annoying but I don't really see how you can stop them doing it. They aren't lying to you, there is 160 odd calories in 28g of the crisps.

I find per 100g information useful as well as per pack/serving depending on what it is. It makes working out whether one snack has a higher percentage fat than another easier.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I also think that the serving size should be related to what a reasonable person would eat.
    So often my wife and I will share a supermarket pudding and then look to see the suggested serving is 1/6th of the pudding. I find it hard to believe that most couples would make it last three sittings.
    Neither of us are calorie counting, so it doesn't really matter, but I still think it is wrong.

And am I right that a 500ml bottle of Coke is described as two 250ml servings? Who would share one of those?

The other one that annoyed me the other day was a bag of salad which contained "1 and a bit" servings - i.e. the weight of the pack wasn't a multiple of the weight of a serving.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Best one is some crisps being advertised on the radio, at only 99 calories per 23g serving.

Who will sit down and weigh out 23 grams of crisps from a 200 gram packet?
  • Skie_2
    Skie_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Skie wrote: »
    Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.

But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.

And if you are stuffing your face with a 250g (or, rather, 165g - that is a far more annoying shenanigan to me) bag of sweets then why does the calorie content matter in the first place?

Most items contain both per 100 or per 1000 details as well as per 'serving' anyway.

The Discos example is valid, though.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nada666 wrote: »
    But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.
    I disagree.
    The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
    It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    labels will start to look different next year.

They are aiming them to be easier for the general public to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure