NatWest £125 switch incentive

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2018 at 8:12PM
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I think some people are rather eager to get their £125 and then close the account down/switch asap.

I'm not convinced about the wisdom of that idea. :(

Indeed, they say we'll pay the £125 cash into your new account by 13 April. But there is no point to close even after the getting £125 if the account is not landing on another plateau.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All done and dusted within a week - opening/receiving card/logging on/ £1500 in and out and switch completed - easiest ever!

But a relative I told about the deal who was immediately accepted/gave details of the account he wished to switch etc was sent a form to return to "confirm his details" and has not yet even received his account number...

Oh dear - my name is mud...:eek:
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ordered a card reader a few days ago. In meantime went to activate the debit card online but when click on the Activate A New Debit Card option in the menu it comes up saying “Unfortunately this option is not available to you.
    This is because it is not appropriate to your particular account on-line, or does not apply to customers under 16 years. For further assistance please refer to Support Centre.” Anyone else had the same? Same message when a relative tries to activate their’s too.
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    I think some people are rather eager to get their £125 and then close the account down/switch asap.

Sorry what is the issue with doing that? You think that Natwest won't pay the incentive?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    EachPenny wrote: »

I already had a Select account which I was about to close but when this offer came along I thought I might open a new Reward account, ship in my household bills and pick up some reward payments for a year.

So I think I might hang on for a while to see how that plan goes. The 2% Reward does seem to be a bt of a convoluted affair, however. e.g. Council Tax is calculated, they say, on the basis of 12 payments per year but how that works for most, paying 10 payment per year, is anyone's guess. I'll just have to wait and see what the heck they mean by that.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    however. e.g. Council Tax is calculated, they say, on the basis of 12 payments per year but how that works for most, paying 10 payment per year, is anyone's guess. I'll just have to wait and see what the heck they mean by that.

For several years now you have been able to chose the option of paying in 12 instalments. The council where I live hides that little piece of info in the small print on the back of the bill! Others, I understand are rather more open. Since the new bill is lurking on the horizon ? for March I suggest you call your council now and try to get it sorted for the next financial year.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry what is the issue with doing that? You think that Natwest won't pay the incentive?
    I'm thinking the information will stay sitting in credit histories for some time to come. Open a Natwest Current account in January 2018 and close it again a month or two later.

That to me sounds like the clearest signature you could possibly find in someone's credit history to say "switching incentive hunter" rather than "long-term profit generator". For the 'picky' banks that might become an issue.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Katiehound wrote: »
    For several years now you have been able to chose the option of paying in 12 instalments. The council where I live hides that little piece of info in the small print on the back of the bill! Others, I understand are rather more open. Since the new bill is lurking on the horizon ? for March I suggest you call your council now and try to get it sorted for the next financial year.

Agreed. There is often a specified 'window' of dates in which you can elect to make 12 payments rather than 10, and once outside this window there is no requirement for the council to accept your request.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • moneyfoolish
    moneyfoolish Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2018 at 11:17PM
    Pretty close to my situation too.
    Yes. I got exactly the same message as you and I had also given then my mobile number which they have been using for other messages but not the activation code!
  • Not sure if this will help anyone .... but, I got my on-line activation code by text today, registered, set up the "pin" number (not debit card pin) and password and got in OK. Had a mooch around and stumbled across the card reader order section under "Security" and ordered one. I decided to logout and log back in to make sure that everything was OK and that is when it went pear-shaped!

I ended up stuck in some sort of loop trying to log in, and I swear blind that I entered everything OK, but ... no luck, just kept saying it didn't recognise my login (on home PC BTW).

A 20 min phone call sorted it out, with the cs guy saying he can see that everything looked OK, and implied that he could see the problem, and reset something that let me re-register all over again. this time it worked OK and let me log in, log out and log back in again.

If you get stuck ... give them a ring, takes a while as no doubt they are inundated with calls, but you'll get there.

One little odd bit of advice from the cs guy .... he told me to go in again to "Security" and order another card reader .... saying it will come in handy, and also "just in case" .... I didn't argue with him, just did it!

Just waiting to see my balance from the switched account ...Clydesdale :) .... appear in the NW, the switched SO's are already there today (DD's shifted elsewhere beforehand) and it should all be complete by the 25th.

As in above posts, I'm in no rush to put the £1500 in, probably wait until the 1st reader arrives so it makes it easy to trickle the £1500 out again :whistle:

I'm with Adindas ... keep it for the next switch incentive! NWide => Clydesdale => NWest => ?

Only Lloyds and Halifax left that I haven't already got/had ...... hoping another Clydesdale will come along :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure