Samsung tab 2 dead

Hi, I bought a Samsung Tab 2 Oct 17 from Amazon. It is now dead, won't charge or turn on. I've spoken to Amazon and they say they will give me a refund when I return the tablet. I'm really worried about all the data on the tablet though, my whole life is on it. Auto password saves for loads of retail sites, personal info for my business, bank, investment, the list goes on. Amazon say the tablet will be returned to Samsung and a factory reset will be done which erase all data. I'm really not comfortable that. The only way they will give me a refund is if I send the tablet back to them. Do I have any other options apart from being £354 out of pocket for not returning it?? HELP!!

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Shuggie67 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a Samsung Tab 2 Oct 17 from Amazon. It is now dead, won't charge or turn on. I've spoken to Amazon and they say they will give me a refund when I return the tablet. I'm really worried about all the data on the tablet though, my whole life is on it. Auto password saves for loads of retail sites, personal info for my business, bank, investment, the list goes on. Amazon say the tablet will be returned to Samsung and a factory reset will be done which erase all data. I'm really not comfortable that. The only way they will give me a refund is if I send the tablet back to them. Do I have any other options apart from being £354 out of pocket for not returning it?? HELP!!

No. You can’t keep it and get the refund, that’s absurd.

You’re sending it to Amazon and Samsung, not Phil and Grant at the local ‘wefixfones4u’ market stall
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tried all the usual dead product fixes like charge battery boot to download mode etc factory reset .
    If as you say its dead then its just going in the waste bin .
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    You have no option but to return.

It should be fine, manufactures get a surprising large number of returns on mobile devices, sometimes above 10%, so they are well used to it.

If you are very worried, then perhaps change the password on a few of the more key accounts.
  • Shuggie67 wrote: »
    I'm really worried about all the data on the tablet though, my whole life is on it. Auto password saves for loads of retail sites, personal info for my business, bank, investment, the list goes on.
    Assuming that you had turned on PIN/password protection, and that you turned on data encryption, that data would only be intelligible to someone authenticating to the device. To help protect yourself from Samsung not actually doing a wipe, and reissuing the device, you can also wipe your device via your Google account. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone-guide and select the correct device. Authenticate, then select "Consider erasing your device" and follow the prompts. This will mean that if the device did come back online (without having been wiped), it would wipe itself clean.

With passcode protection and data encryption you shouldn't need to worry though.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Are you sure you just don’t want them to find which !!!!!! sites you have been visiting :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure