What your credit score really means

Comments

• MusS10 wrote: »
    Why can't we individuals be shown our credit reports and score exactly as they would be shown to lenders? And similarly why can't the lenders see exactly what we see when we/they purchase a report from any CRA? And furthermore why can't the information commissioner enforce that CRAs show both lender and borrower the same information and/or scores?

Why do they complicate everything??? :mad:

Because you would need as many scores as you would have lenders. They all have different criteria.

Lenders do not get credit scores from CRAs.

What they get are details of how much you have borrowed, the type of debt (credit card, loans, overdrafts, etc), whether you have paid on time and how much your payments are.

They get details of defaults and CCJs

and they get details of any "hard" application type searches.

You get more information than they do, as they don't see who you have got accounts with or who has searched your file. They just see there is an account for a type of borrowing with x balance at y rate and that you have been paying z.

People get confused between a credit score (a number determined by an algorithm unique to each CRA based solely on your credit file) and Credit scoring.

Credit Scoring looks at the criteria set by the lender itself, and will take into account details you put on your application form, any past dealings that lender (or other companies in the same group) may have had with you and your credit file. Everything there is then scored against their criteria.

To harmonise things would a) give lenders too much information about who you are borrowing from, b) give lenders too much information about other lenders' borrowing criteria and c) confuse the hell out of people.

That is why the best advice you can have is to ignore the score and concentrate on making sure the information is correct.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    MusS10 wrote: »
    Why can't we individuals be shown our credit reports and score exactly as they would be shown to lenders?
    And similarly why can't the lenders see exactly what we see when we/they purchase a report from any CRA? And furthermore why can't the information commissioner enforce that CRAs show both lender and borrower the same information and/or scores?

But you are shown the same credit report as the lender sees. (With the addition of soft searches that the lender does not see.)

The lender does not see your credit score. The lender does not care about your CRA credit score. It will calculate its own score if it feels so inclined.

Since the both the lender and the borrower already see the same information, no ICO action is required.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why can't we individuals be shown our credit reports and score exactly as they would be shown to lenders? And similarly why can't the lenders see exactly what we see when we/they purchase a report from any CRA? And furthermore why can't the information commissioner enforce that CRAs show both lender and borrower the same information and/or scores?

Nothing is complicated, its fine as it is so why change it.
  • MusS10
    MusS10 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 6:50PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Nothing is complicated, its fine as it is so why change it.

To me it is.
    i have access to my noddle an clearscore on a regular and neither of them show any CCJs.
    I recently got a 30 day full access to 4 CRAs:
    1- Experian shows 2 CCJs with a completely different first name. Yet no alias or other names.
    2-Equifax shows no CCJs no Alias but shows those 2 CCJs with wrong first name in the attributable data section.
    3-Callcredit shows no CCJs no Alias.
    4- Checkmyfile shows 4 CRAs (Equifax, Experian, Callcredit and Crediva)
    a- Equifax: No ccjs
    b- Experian: No ccjs
    c- Call credit: 2 ccjs
    d- Crediva : No ccjs

Are you confused as I am? Do these reports look normal to you?
    I think not.
    The checkmyfile agent told me that all checkmyfile gets given the reports from all 4 agencies exactly in the format given to lenders who order from them..
    Therefore, a lender queries me on call credit gets told that I have 2 ccjs and yet i am told that i have none !!
    And a lender querying me on Experian would be told that I am clean yet I am told I got 2 ccjs !!
    I don't know about you but I am confused even writing here about it..
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow is a Mystery
    Today is a GIFT from God and that is why it's called the PRESENT ..
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    i have access to my noddle an clearscore on a regular and neither of them show any CCJs.
    I recently got a 30 day full access to 4 CRAs:
    1- Experian shows 2 CCJs with a completely different first name. Yet no alias or other names.
    2-Equifax shows no CCJs no Alias but shows those 2 CCJs with wrong first name in the attributable data section.
    3-Callcredit shows no CCJs no Alias.
    4- Checkmyfile shows 4 CRAs (Equifax, Experian, Callcredit and Crediva)
    a- Equifax: No ccjs
    b- Experian: No ccjs
    c- Call credit: 2 ccjs
    d- Crediva : No ccjs
    It sounds like a case of mistaken identity rather than over-complication. You would be best contacting the CRAs in error to get your reports corrected.
  • MusS10
    edited 23 February 2018 at 8:07AM
    RG2015 wrote: »
    It sounds like a case of mistaken identity rather than over-complication. You would be best contacting the CRAs in error to get your reports corrected.
    I am already dealing with the ID issue..
    But I still can't get my head around Callcredit (Noddle) showing different info to me than that it shows lenders (checkmyfile act as lenders and purchase my report)
    And same said about Equifax: it shows me different stuff to what it shows lenders..
    And I an not even mentioning other small discrepancies that i saw while comparing reports.

I just wish that the ICO puts tougher rules and even fine CRAs who provide inaccurate and/or contradictory information about individuals. Calamities like these can make huge detriments in people's finances..
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow is a Mystery
  • RG2015
    I am already dealing with the ID issue..
    But I still can't get my head around Callcredit (Noddle) showing different info to me than that it shows lenders (checkmyfile act as lenders and purchase my report)
    And same said about Equifax: it shows me different stuff to what it shows lenders..
    And I an not even mentioning other small discrepancies that i saw while comparing reports.

I just wish that the ICO puts tougher rules and even fine CRAs who provide inaccurate and/or contradictory information about individuals. Calamities like these can make huge detriments in people's finances..
    You do have a point but I think that your case of mistaken ID is unusual. I check all of my data with all of the free providers and have never seen any discrepancies other than timing differences.

You also state above that checkmyfile act as lenders. Are you able to clarify your statement as I was not aware that they did this.
  • MusS10
    You do have a point but I think that your case of mistaken ID is unusual. I check all of my data with all of the free providers and have never seen any discrepancies other than timing differences.

You also state above that checkmyfile act as lenders. Are you able to clarify your statement as I was not aware that they did this.

Yes indeed the ID is definitely something unusual and will be dealt with sooner or later though I remain critical to the lack of duty of care from the CRAs to allow blatant mistakes to take place then consume time and stress to get them corrected..

As for the checkmyfile, I queried several mistakes on my various reports and here is one of their replies which clearly suggest that checkmyfile acts like a lender when obtaining one's report and therefore receives the info in the same format that any lender would. Here it is:

"Dear M......
    Thanks for your message.

We search the agencies as a lender would and show you all information returned. We do not hold any data on customers so the error has not been created by us. I would suggest contacting Experian, as my colleague Ben suggested, to request the removal of the incorrect address link.

I hope this helps explain but if you have any other questions please get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Erika
    checkmyfile

3 days ago | checkmyfile "
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow is a Mystery
  • RG2015
    As for the checkmyfile, I queried several mistakes on my various reports and here is one of their replies which clearly suggest that checkmyfile acts like a lender when obtaining one's report and therefore receives the info in the same format that any lender would.
    Hi MusS10,

Thanks for this and I understand what you are saying.

I wonder if any users here know if Checkmyfile has access to any more information on us than we do ourselves?
  • MusS10

I wonder if any users here know if Checkmyfile has access to any more information on us than we do ourselves?

Check yours out. I got mine on a 30 day free trial..
    It shows you full reports of 4 CRAs (The known three plus Crediva which I never heard of before..
    Good Luck! I hope that you won't find shocking mistakes like I did..
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow is a Mystery
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback