Redundant today - do I still need to 'work' for the company?

Options
2»

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    How close is the job spec of your current job and the new job they're replacing yours with?

Surely they're on shaky ground making you redundant if they could have offered you training to bring you up to spec for the new role? (if you'd have agreed?).

Good thought, It's a down step, I should be OK. (edit that's not patronising, I can see that it may come across like that, apologies..).

It's continuous employment too so that counts for a lot!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Exemplar wrote: »
    What I do find interesting is that I am 49 years old, 50 at the very tail end of January 2018, in addition I will have been in 5 years continuous employment on Jan 14th 2018...

SO.... If I can 'potentially' spin it out past one of those dates I will get more money (especially as I'm taking the Kings coin all the time!).

If your company pays statutory redundancy, you won't get any more at age 50 than you would at 49. As you've been over 40 for your whole employment then it's one and a half weeks pay for each full year you've been there. Of course, your company could have a more generous scheme.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you are generally happy working there then taking the positions gives continuing work/pay and a lot can change in 3 months.

still due redundancy even on the fixed terms.

The only issue may be the payout if the salary is lower.
  • Exemplar
    Options
    If you are generally happy working there then taking the positions gives continuing work/pay and a lot can change in 3 months.

still due redundancy even on the fixed terms.

The only issue may be the payout if the salary is lower.

It's a fantastic place t work, I consider myself lucky to have worked there for the 4 years 11 months I have!

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    In that case I would be very enthusiastic about the opportunity to stay if the jobs on offer are suitable.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    How close is the job spec of your current job and the new job they're replacing yours with?

Surely they're on shaky ground making you redundant if they could have offered you training to bring you up to spec for the new role? (if you'd have agreed?).

The new position of field engineer would require driving to remote sites, presumably the op doesn't have a driving licence?
  • Exemplar
    Options
    Update -

So I have taken a 4 week trial (3 weeks in now) as Facilities co-ordinator. The pay is 3K less than original. Hours are not as child friendly (meaning that I have to put 1 child into breakfast club 4 mornings a week at a cost of £3.00 per day and an extra 12 miles fuel).

As it's Christmas and I have not had a full experience of the role I have asked for the 4 week trial to be extended by at least another 2 weeks, hopefully 4. I have been told that my redundancy should not be affected.

I will update more as I know.

And yes I do have a full clean license, but I cannot be too far away from the children.

• Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    In general the IT support roles are turning into field engineer positions as most small to medium businesses don't have the need for in house IT staff anymore. Are you interested in the more in-house IT roles like development?
  • Exemplar
    Options
    Update - apologies for the delay.

I took the money and ran! And am now employed by another (marine) telecoms company on a higher salary with the same conditions/ hours.

Thanks to all those that gave support.

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Update - apologies for the delay.

I took the money and ran! And am now employed by another (marine) telecoms company on a higher salary with the same conditions/ hours.

Thanks to all those that gave support.

Sounds like a good result. Thanks for letting us know.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure