PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA being vague on house I'm purchasing

Options
Hey folks

This one might be nothing but I'm coming up at a loose end.

My vendor rented his property (to family) Property is now vacant and vendor has moved to another city with family as they moved in together (according to my solicitor two weeks ago...)

I asked then if I could see the property empty before agreeing to exchange contracts as often when I had tried to see again after my offer I was told unless I could come in the day it would be a no, and due to work obligations that didn't work.

I've been chasing the estate agent all week to see the property again, and I've been repeatedly ignored or told they aren't sure what's happening and need to look into it.

The property is definitely vacant (we've checked...) and my solicitor have said they are suprised they haven't heard from my vendors solicitors all week (she assumed now property was vacant they'd be chasing me down to exchange and complete ASAP...)

Im beginning to wonder if vendor wants me to exchange without seeing the property again for some reason... which is only making me more convinced I need to!

Does this seem normal to anyone?! Or any logical reasons why ea would be reluctant to let me see property again?

I'm thinking it's ftb paranoia but, I can't understand why in two weeks the EA hasn't rushed me in their considering I've said it's the only thing stopping me exchanging? (And them bagging their commission?)

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps they are away on holiday this week.
  • owitemisermusa
    Options
    If you can't view and satisfy yourself completely, don't buy.
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're being sensible.

There may be a perfectly innocent explanation for the lack of response (eg as suggested - holiday), or as you say, the tenants may have trashed the place when they left.

Politely make it clear, to both the EA and your solicitor, ideally in writing, that you will not Exchange until you've had another viewing.
  • Lurkingtoposting17
    Options
    Finally got in today after telling agent i would pull out from sale if I didn't see it this week after vendor asked if I was ready to exchange now...!

But end result is the same... with all the furniture out and without the vendor covering the jobs they have bodged with furniture and appliances, it's become apparent how much work the property needed. I had budgeted £5k for work to the property, and now realised its more like £20k.

It would be a money pit. I left in tears and learnt a valuable life lesson. If you vendor seems to be hiding something, they likely are.

Thanks everyone for your help and support - back to the drawing board that is right move!
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    Well done, you have displayed an incredible amount of maturity for a first time buyer. Don't be afraid to do it again, and again, until you find a place that is right for you.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2017 at 9:20PM
    Options
    But do bear in mind that all properties look far less attractive once the furniture, pictures etc are removed.

If you view a property occupied by the owners/sellers, you'll be viewing it with furniture etc.

On the day of Completion, they'll empty it. The carpets under the furniture will have faded at a different rate to the exposed carpets. Likewise the paint on the walls where the pictures were.

But with an owner/occupier you'll only find out when you move in. So be realistic about what to expect of that 'immaculate' looking house......
  • Lurkingtoposting17
    Options
    Hi GM

I completely agree when I was waiting for my parents to arrive at the property I was wondering if I was over reacting but they walked in and felt the same. We've never lived in a new build, and one precious home had been empty for ten years when my parents purchased it so we don't expect perfection in a home by any standards.

issues such as a kitchen that has been bodged to stop it falling down and numerous cupboards don't even open as they back on to each other. The tenant was cooking when we viewed both times and I didn't push thinking I could come back and then, they made viewing again difficult.

The rewiring in the house has only been done to half the property - and a gaping hole in the ceiling where this wiring has been done that was hidden by a large unit and a wardrobe in the room above they conveniently left behind is covering that hole in the floor in the bedroom. We couldn't have checked this as it was a large unit stuffed to the brim with their personal possessions.

There's also a huge amount of damp in one room. They had damp proofing done last year and told us it was to the whole property. Looking at the property today we think this was only downstairs.

The electric fuse box isn't where we were told it was when we enquiried whilst this doesn't sound a big deal the difference in location means it has to be moved. Not for compliance of any standards but because it's smack bang in the middle the living room wall that has been covered by the unit. They had stated it was under the stairs.

I will shoulder some of the blame as my dad is a builder and I think he could have identified more of these things when he viewed too but he says he was reasonably satisfied when he looked, but didn't delve into it too deep. I should have pushed him to be more forensic. He was shocked at the pictures I've showed him.

I've learnt a lot from the process and will definitely insist on being more forensic in viewing properties going forward. I won't let a vendor intimidate me into not looking in cupboards or around rooms in depth. I guess I was a little naive in how much too investigate or how much right I had to.

I will be grateful I paid for my conveyancers insurance so it hasn't been an expensive lesson.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had budgeted £5k for work to the property, and now realised its more like £20k.

Did you explain this to them and ask if they would drop the price by £20k?
  • Lurkingtoposting17
    Options
    I could do PhillW, but it won't release 20k cash to me, as it would mostly be coming off the mortgage, it would give me around another £5k to do the work, so still significantly less.

As the EA witnessed me leaving in tears right now I am just taking a breather on it today and waiting for him to call. I think I will tell him that the property needs far more work doing than we budgeted for and that I don't think the vendor would drop the price to something I would feel comfortable with having reassessed.

I'll leave the ball in his court to decide if he wants to renegotiate based on that information. He may, as the property is vacant and he is ~300 miles away, but I am not sure I want the hassle of such a fixer upper to be enthused enough to start the negotiations myself, if that make sense. Not to mention the mention I just don't trust this vendor, I haven't for months. Felt like he was hiding something. I dread to think what I would discover he'd hidden in the past two weeks as the reason he wouldn't let me view is he wanted to make sure it was nice for me....
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I could do PhillW, but it won't release 20k cash to me, as it would mostly be coming off the mortgage, it would give me around another £5k to do the work, so still significantly less.

You could talk to the mortgage company and say you have reduced the purchase price but will borrow the original amount but use £20 for improvements. It might screw you on LTV, but they might let you do it.

You shouldn't worry about opening the negotiation, but if you can't get hold of him or don't want the hassle of doing the work then sure just walk away.

But you would only get one chance to negotiate, so find all the things wrong and dump it on him and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure