Spoilt Cake

Comments

• neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry but you paid £300 for that!! I would say ask for 50% back. You did eat it after all so the £150 would more than cover costs for her ingredients and a little of her time. But you definitely overpaid. Did you see any examples of her other cakes?

And did she explain to you that the bottom tier really needs to be something like fruitcake so it can hold the weight of the top layers better.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    G4. wrote: »
    Anyone who'd pay £900 for a flippin cake has got more money than sense!

(Speaking on a money saving website :D )

Like I say, worth every penny. Made professionally by quite a famous firm and still being talked about by guests 13 years on.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • notanewuser
    And did she explain to you that the bottom tier really needs to be something like fruitcake so it can hold the weight of the top layers better.

I made a 6 tier chocolate fudge wedding cake for a friend's wedding, in the height of summer and it didn't collapse. I used strong cake boards and lots of dowels for support. The cake maker the OP used is an idiot.
  • f.o.d.
    f.o.d. Posts: 69 Forumite
    I made a 6 tier chocolate fudge wedding cake for a friend's wedding, in the height of summer and it didn't collapse. I used strong cake boards and lots of dowels for support. The cake maker the OP used is an idiot.

Ah but did you try and transport it with the 6 tiers all on top of each other :rotfl:
  • notanewuser
    f.o.d. wrote: »
    Ah but did you try and transport it with the 6 tiers all on top of each other :rotfl:

Absolutely not! I even kept my car in the garage the night before so that it would be cool. :A
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I dunno. £900 for a cake that's dessert for 200 folks and a piece of art into the bargain seems pretty reasonable to me! And some cakes are really beautiful

OMG there's a nurses' 'poo cake'! :eek:
    warehouse wrote: »
    OK I get that people are saying that it's just a cake, just a single day etc etc. So what if the photos had turned out awful? Just accept that too?

OP, the cake was a disaster. I'd be after a full refund.

1. The cake was eaten by all so not exactly fully refundable. You couldn't do much with rubbish pics whereas the cake was just ugly from the outside but okay otherwise.

2. It's more like buying some cheap wedding dress from China on ebay that didn't last the whole day or wasn't the same as a £500k+ wedding dress with cheap material or loads of creases over it. Would you really have much comeback?

3. If they'd hired an amateur photographer and not a professional, then I think the general advice on here stands - you get what you pay for! I still don't think they'd have a leg to stand on.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Like I say, worth every penny. Made professionally by quite a famous firm and still being talked about by guests 13 years on.

Sorry, but, only when you're there I bet. ;)

I love me some cake, and I think some beautifully decorated wedding cakes are real works of art, but nobody actually still talks about a cake they ate 13 years ago unless it was radioactive and gave them superhero powers.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hazyjo wrote: »
    OMG there's a nurses' 'poo cake'! :eek:

Some people can make almost anything out of sugar - and will...
  • notanewuser

I love me some cake, and I think some beautifully decorated wedding cakes are real works of art, but nobody actually still talks about a cake they ate 13 years ago unless it was radioactive and gave them superhero powers.

Believe me, it wasn't your run of the mill cake for lots of reasons. I get messages from people asking me to send a photo of it, so not only when I'm there.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

They might if they knew it cost 900 quid.

At that price, I would be asking for compo if it didn't give my guests superhero powers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure