The Sewing Room (part 2)

Comments

• First project completed, I made two cushion covers:

14642518_10100173985720845_3239115695358488372_n.jpg?oh=8b56dce9d521845608c9bd5471e3b43c&oe=58689E28
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Your covers look lovely, but what I do know thanks to a friend of mine, I put two cushion innards inside to give a nice bulky solid feel to the cushions. Providing of course, you have put in zips.
  • Hello all, does anyone here do EPP???
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello all, does anyone here do EPP???

What is EPP?
  • Justamum wrote: »
    What is EPP?

Sorry it's English Paper Piercing basically hand sewing. I've made a couple of quilts now and just about to embark on Dear Jane in EPP and very excited.
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • Whilst using my machine it suddenly stopped, motor made a strange noise. I noticed the lever seemed to be jammed against the casing. I unscrewed the casing cleared some thread that was wrapped around near the lever. Everything else seemed to be clear but the machine is still not working just making a whirring sound and displaying a c4 fault. I checked to see if the bobbin winder worked but no luck. Has anyone else had problems like this? The nearest repairer is 30 miles away and if it is going to be a costly job I may be better putting the money towards a new machine. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem. If it means a new machine I would appreciate some recommendations for a reliable mid price machine, Thank you
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't tried EPP yet- it is on my list of things to try at some point.

Paddee- sorry I've never had something like that happen.

What are peoples sewing plans for the year? Anyone sewing at the moment?

I've been using the lutterloh system and have bought some vintage editions so I'll be trying some vintage patterns this year. I can't get to my sewing area at the moment as we dumped loads of stuff in the study before Christmas! Before I do any sewing I think I have about a weeks worth of sorting out the craft area to do! In the meantime I am starting a list of projects for the year. Wherever possible I need to work within my stash (including charity shop finds purchased in the hope I can refashion them!).
    Has anyone managed any refashion projects using jumpers?
    I am learning to knit on a loom at the moment as I need to sort out some thick, warm, knitted winter garments. Ideally I want to use my sewing patterns and then knit the pieces....I have no idea if I will be able to pull this off.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Jellie I do alterations for a living now so do very few personal projects anymore but I love refashioned makes, and often ideas are sparked when I am in a charity shop, although now they are becoming more pricey so less opportunity for bargain fabrics.
    I often use bedding for children's clothes, my thermal bags and totes.
    I have yet to master my embroidery machines and am planning to block time in the diary to achieve that this year.
    I also bought a cover stitch machine in the summer and didn't really get to grips with it yet, so that is also on the agenda.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mooloo- I have a coverstitch machine but haven't clocked up many hours and a self taught. Haven't gone beyond basic stitching but it is great for hemming. Main problem I have is skipping stitches (probably operator error!)
    I can't believe you have been in the shop 2 years!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i'm doing more upholstery than sewing at present (the sewing pile will hopefully get reduced gradually) and will get round to posting some pics when i have time, i'm really enjoying the problem solving element of upholstery and satisfaction it brings me
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure