The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,599 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    at the moment I use Endomondo to record runs, as it feeds into MyFitnessPal, but could try Strava as I have a garmin vivofit and also an Oregon 650 for when I set off into the wilds with the dogs. I'll take a look.

The training is mostly sprints/laps interspersed with planks, various squats, burpees, mountain climbers, a bit of boxing, etc. Circuit training really but more running and an emphasis on core strengthening.
    They are a nice friendly bunch of ladies from a wide age range and a very wide range of weight/fitness level.
    As an unfit, still a bit chunky, 49 yr old woman I am never going to set foot inside an athletics club - just not going to happen!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    As an unfit, still a bit chunky, 49 yr old woman I am never going to set foot inside an athletics club - just not going to happen!

Sounds like about half of our athletics club. They do it as a bit of fitness and social experience.
    We were doing 2 min intervals the other day. Many people there were lapped a lot as it was only a 400m lap. But everyone is really nice.

I only joined ours in April and it is massively different to what I expected. I thought that everyone would be a fantastic runner and I'd just be last at everything. But its really not like that at all.

Edit: I remember all the squats, burpees, planks etc from a year or 3 ago when I did insanity!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've been feeling ill since friday, and yesterday was the first day I started feeling better.
    So today I went out for a run:
    23:36 mins - 2.06 miles - 11:23m/m

Of course it started raining again, but I think this time of the year if you don't run in the rain, you won't get to run at all!

I don't feel anywhere near prepared for my 10k on Sunday, but I'm more worried about the half marathon next Sunday. I can blag a 10k and get round, but 13 miles will be a struggle.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • indesisiv

I don't feel anywhere near prepared for my 10k on Sunday, but I'm more worried about the half marathon next Sunday. I can blag a 10k and get round, but 13 miles will be a struggle.

I think that if you can do the 10k then you will be fine with the half marathon.

Sometimes its quite nice running in the rain. Once I figured out that the hat could keep the rain and the sweat out of my eyes :rotfl:

I'd much rather run in the rain than in windy conditions!

PS Good luck on Sunday.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,599 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I went for my first solo run since June last night. It was pretty slow (about 40 secs per k slower) compared to my PR pace but I think that a lot of that was due to it getting dark so I couldn't see the path well and had to keep changing direction to stay in lit areas, plus it was mostly on tarmac as that is where the lights were. I think I either need to go earlier/lunchtime or find a better location. It is lovely walking the dogs round the lakes in the morning but not so cool when it is all unlit at night.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I went for my first solo run since June last night. It was pretty slow (about 40 secs per k slower) compared to my PR pace but I think that a lot of that was due to it getting dark so I couldn't see the path well and had to keep changing direction to stay in lit areas, plus it was mostly on tarmac as that is where the lights were. I think I either need to go earlier/lunchtime or find a better location. It is lovely walking the dogs round the lakes in the morning but not so cool when it is all unlit at night.

I find that running in the dark, when cars come towards me then I can't see a thing so have to slow right down. Inevitably its about then there is a step for someones driveway and I trip over it.
    That's why I normally run out in the sticks at night and use the moon to light the way. I really should use a headtorch :rotfl:

Just getting out there at whatever speed is what it is all about. This week I haven't run anything faster than about 8:30 min/mile (recovery run speed for me) as I had sore calfs from the weekend. Then again the longest run I have done all week is only 4 miles too.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I did a half-marathon a few weeks ago and was 41st out of 43 in my age group. But hey, I'm faster than the people on their sofas. If only I can persuade the sofas to a enter a race I might not come nearly last...
  • indesisiv
    I did a half-marathon a few weeks ago and was 41st out of 43 in my age group. But hey, I'm faster than the people on their sofas. If only I can persuade the sofas to a enter a race I might not come nearly last...

Doing the half marathon in the first place is a victory. Now you know you can do it :) And there is a good few million people that you beat on their sofas :)
    Well done. :T:T
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 October 2016 at 4:38PM
    Completed my 10k today. 1:14:41, last year we competed in 1:05:24.
    Not a PB, but I wasn't expecting one, just glad I did okay without enough training. Pleased with that result as I thought it would be worse.

Now I have to face the half marathon next week. I'm thinking of running 2 miles a day (with a couple of rest days) just to keep my fitness up. We shall see how that plan goes come tomorrow morning when I wake up stiff and sore.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • indesisiv
    Well done x_raphael_xx

Now you have done the 10k the half is just a case of getting out there and doing it :) your legs will appreciate a gentle couple of miles tomorrow so even if you hurt its still worth getting out there to do it as it will really help with recovery.

I've just got back in from a gentle ish 10 miles. Its surprisingly warm out there today! I was so tired at the end but luckily it was downhill so managed to put in a sprint finish at the end. And set a PB for 400m and take a CR on strava for that section in the process. Just hope that my 10 mile race in a couple of weeks is a bit quicker as I'm not sure I could have gone much quicker today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport