PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread for Friday 25th September

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Morning all
    I'm getting ready for work, my L&M is still in bed as he has been signed off for 2 weeks with stress.

His line manager is scurrying away into empty rooms and corridors every time she sees me, funnily enough no one in management has asked me how he is, they are far too afraid that I will tell them!
    He spent 2 days trying to explain that an extra job that was added to the list on Monday was causing a problem, he even suggested 2 alternatives. He was told to just get on with it, by 10am yesterday one of the alternatives was in place!

I went out last night with one of my DD's, I was reluctant to leave my L&M but he assured me he would be ok, I was only out for a couple of hours and he was fine when I got home.

Today I am collecting one of the DGD's from school and she will stay the night, she will cheer her grandpa up I'm sure.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2016 at 6:53AM
    Morning everyone

HH - thanks for starting us off, hope your L & M starts to feel brighter soon x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot but very cloudy and overcast, most days are starting like this at the moment then cloud clearing and some sun appears, hope today will be the same.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit, he doesn't go to college on a Friday, so I have a few jobs lined up for him, and he does have some college work to do.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, cheese and potato pie, beans/veg, all eaten and enjoyed, not sure about tonight but will be something and chips - easy dinner for Friday night!

Yesterday I was much more productive than I have been of late, I got into town and visited the building society and bank, then didn't stop off at the SM's on the way home, so was home quickly, and then did switch pc on and got a coffee ...... was on pc for around 30 minutes, with the house looking a pit, mahoosive pile of ironing, and other things on my list, and just thought I need to get some/all of this tackled, so had a note to make a telephone call as DS2 is doing the National Citizen Service programme, he's doing it in October half term but dates and times hadn't been confirmed so rang them had a chat to the organiser and feel much happier about it now, his application form is complete and will be returned today. I then decided that the housework needed doing, and I spent quite a while scrubbing and cleaning the main bathroom, as it had become a bit of a pit, it looks so much better now, I then went on to the other rooms and whilst they're not all spotless and everything in their place they certainly look better than they did. I got a menu plan together, sort of, and wrote a shopping list, did the ironing too, and dirty wash basket was empty, it's probably not now, and there is 1 load that didn't get dry - that will go out on the line shortly. So today I'll be food shopping first thing, then later this afternoon I'll do some baking/cooking. I'm working tomorrow morning so want to have most chores done so I can get some chill time either tomorrow or Sunday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 September 2016 at 7:17AM
    Morning everyone.

It's good that your OH HH a rest, he deserves it.

Yesterday was a day of challenges for me. Dealing with even two stroppy 17 / 18 year olds tried my patience and sunny nature. However I got through it.

I've no idea what it's like outside. Mum house has curtains and blinds and I'm not much away from still being horizontal. I hope it's as lovely as Speky said it was yesterday.

Camelot - I hope you're beginning to feel better.

Tonight I'm off to Glasgow Pavilion for the evening with Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince. I'm so looking forward to it, I bought the ticket yoinks ago. Not sure what else the day will hold.

Happy Friday everyone.
  • Morning folks and thanks for starting us off HESTER. I'm so pleased L & M has been put on the sick. Perhaps a member of management would like to stand in for him and find out how stressful his job is! Err no I didn't think so!

Beautiful forecast for the weekend! And even warmer down in Herts where nephew's wedding is. Couldn't have ordered better for the end of September.

We are going down with DS and GF as Mr TA is not happy driving long distances these days. We are going in our car and DS will leave his here when they come to pick us up. Planning on 10 ish as they have to get GF's son to school first and then take Roxy dog to the sitter. They haven't used her before but she comes highly recommended. Nevertheless GF will spend all w/e worrying!

I am packing up a picnic for us all for our half way stop. As usual I think I am feeding the 5,000! I have had two packs of posh Italian Antipasto meats (ys of course!) in the freezer, awaiting an auspicious occasion such as this, so they are going with us too!

The wedding is at 1.30 tomorrow, by which time the temp is forecast to rise to 21 deg, Hope they are right! The reception is at a posh country club, then we are back to our hotel for the night and will leave Sunday after a late breakfast no doubt!

Have a good day all and (((HUGS))) where needed. As ever LAINEY and DM and HILSTEP are in my thoughts, as well as others with illness and worries to cope with, JACKIE what a lovely treat for you! It's nice to have something to look forward to. GERS enjoy your evening with Brian Cox, lucky you. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Looks to be a nice day here again although chilly this morning, log burner is arriving today :j although delivery is between 9 and 5 but they will phone me an hour before and either OH or I will nip home. Chap is coming to fit it next week so should be all cosy for winter :D

Im glad its Friday as it seems to have been a long week but takeaway and wine tonight to look forward to.

Will do a wash tonight and make a shopping list for the following week. Will have to hoover through either tonight or in the morning.

TA have a fab time x

Gers enjoy the professor !! :D

Hester glad your L&M has been signed off, perhaps they will see how hard he works now.

Have good days all xx
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all, thanks for the thread Hester. Hope your L&M is resting up and taking things easy xx

I was awake early. Had a church meeting last night - I'm afraid to say I was a little brutal when it came to my action points - fitting a pint into a half pint pot is not one of my specialities. I don't like being a moany old bag, but sometimes needs must. Got home looking to have a drink and Mr Nobody had used up the cola so no rum and cola for me :( settled on tea.

Today I am at the church for a meeting first thing. There are a couple of things I must do there today before I can come home. I have lunch booked with two ladies I studied with who I see once a year. I would like to arrive not flustered and in a good frame of mind. Given all that is going on here that could be challenging!

Gers - enjoy the show xx
    TA - have a lovely time at the wedding - I'm from Herts (now in Kent) - where is the wedding?
    LWW/Lainey - hugs xx
    Hilstep - enjoy the time with your son xx
    Jackie - how lovely of your DD - nice to have something to look forward to x

Hugs to anyone I've missed xx
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread HH am glad your L &M is getting some much needed time away from such a stressful workplace.

Dry, bright and sunny here but bbbrrr colder, a perfect Autumn day.

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday afternoon looking at all DSS's US pictures, they were fantastic and it certainly looks like it was a trip of a lifetime. Had to laugh because we looked at the file called "family" but there was another one titled "mates" that was apparently the more X-rated version :rotfl:
    DB went over to see Mum in the afternoon following a conversation with head of discharge, it would appear that DM is saying one thing to us and something completely different to the hospital staff. She is adamant that she goes nowhere else but home and will NOT have 24 hour care just carers coming in 3 times a day! So we are all meeting up today to sort things out, Mum told brother yesterday that we are not to worry she can cope so obviously we need to meet somewhere in the middle as not worrying is not an option :(

Food shopping this morning, have a Mr Sparks voucher so will go there.

Enjoy your evening with Mr Cox Gers

Hope all goes well with the family wedding TA

Have a good day everyone, hugs to all poorlies and worried ones, take care folks x
  • Morning All

Dry and bright for now, yesterday was glorious, got the grass cut and emptied all the pots and baskets, it looks a little bare. There was torrential rain about 9 last night and it got really windy too.

Enjoy the wedding TA, hope the weather holds for you.
    What a worry Lainey.
    Really hope Mr HH gets some much needed rest, sounds like some power happy managers.
    What a lovely surprise JackieO!
    Enjoy the Prof Gers.

I tried to have a lie in this morning but it didn't happen. I've been sorting through a box labelled 'candles' this morning, been hanging around since I moved here (nearly 3 years ago), I guess I will be burning candles now to get rid of them and yes, there are thousands of tealights!

Day off today, I need to take some stuff to the charity shop and have a haircut, apart from that not much planned - just the way I like it!

Happy Friday. Take care. XX
  • Gers I hope your evening with Mr Cox is as good as it sounds.I could watch him all day as he is so interesting :)
    Lainey hope you get your DM care sorted out to both your satisfactions, it is so hard for all of you as you want her to be comfortable and pain free.
    TA hope all goes well with the wedding and the sun shines down on the happy couple
    Coxy11 ...and breathe, well done and keep putting your foot down.
    H/H good job your L&M has been signed off, stress is a dreadful thing to cope with and you both seem to be having more than your fair share at the moment.
    nmlc I could do with some of your get up and go at the moment , had a rotten night with creaky joints and I was awake every two hours I think I will have to be going back on to my tablets for a week or so I don't like having to take medication and try to put it off if I can, but need must when the joints are kicking off :)
    This afternoon I am back to History club which I always enjoy as its a great end to the week,plus our tutor makes the most amazing cakes :):) bless her she provides cake and coffee for us all and since she retired from teaching her other hobby is baking.

Tomorrow night I am at a charity quiz night that my friend treated me to, so I shall be looking forward to that as well.
    Hugs for those who are not in a good place today

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
  • Just had to check the date there, thought I had missed a couple of days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure