Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know if there are any in the Teesside Area, I know there isn't one in the Stockton High Street Branch.
  • MrsTom
    MrsTom Posts: 114 Forumite
    There is one at Clapham Junction.
  • there is one in HSBC on Northallerton High Street
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    grn.w.nv wrote: »
    However I've started to collect £2 coins, and was wondering what to with the when I filled the coffee jar. Not sure of the procedure to be honest, but do I just bag them up and take them to my bank (Lloyds TSB)?
    Yes, just bag them up. Use the proper bank bags and fill them with the right amount of coins.
    Your bank may well limit you to the number of bags you can bank at one time, though.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mx-3 wrote: »
    If you do not have a HSBC account..........................You can always put it in to mine.:D
    Good plan. What's your account number and sort code?
    Oh, and in case they ask we might need your mother's maiden name and any other sort of passwords on the account...
    :D
  • Just to report for all the South Yorkshire bods, HSBC in Meadowhall have got a coin machine which is available 8am while 8pm on weekdays... can't remember the weekend opening.
  • Yes, just bag them up. Use the proper bank bags and fill them with the right amount of coins.

Speaking as a cashier, grn, if you don't do what Jimmy said I will hunt you down and kill you in cold blood. ;)

For reference, because someone's bound to ask:

£20 of £1 and £2
    £10 of 50p and 20p
    £5 of 10p and 5p
    £1 of 1p and 2p

If you can't make a full bag, fine, deposit that, but don't mix coin, because that a) holds you up and b) makes us swear about you and your family. If you ask the cashier nicely next time you're in they can give you a wodge of the bags for future use.

If you're doing notes as well, don't bother banding them up or folding over for £100s, we'll count them all again anyway.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hehe thats what they did when I went in :) I asked for about 10, she gave me about 40. So plenty to use.

Don't you get annoyed having to do the whole scales thing? Would be so m uch easier just shoving money into a machine and let it count for me. Nevermind eh.

At another time a woman said I was 20p down, which I was bit hm about, luckily I had 20p in my pocket spare, but I bet she was scamming me!! :rolleyes:
  • Theres not one in my local branch, guess i'm going to have to keep on counting the pennys and sticking them in the money bags
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    Don't you get annoyed having to do the whole scales thing? Would be so m uch easier just shoving money into a machine and let it count for me. Nevermind eh.

Well, some people have literally sackfuls of coin, which would make the machine a little bit, well, dead. In those cases the counter is quicker; if you've only got a few bagfuls, the machine will do you proud.
    At another time a woman said I was 20p down, which I was bit hm about, luckily I had 20p in my pocket spare, but I bet she was scamming me!! :rolleyes:

Trust me, it happens more often than you think, and it isn't a scam. Some people just miss a couple of pence, meaning we either correct the bags or get the customer to correct the slip. The latter, obviously, is a fair bit more timeconsuming.

(Next week on "A Cashier Vents Spleen" - "No, we can't take cards behind the counter, you need a paying in slip/cheque book to make a deposit/cash withdrawal, yes Barclays do it but it's bad for many reasons, all of them related to your/our !!!! not being covered if something goes wrong or the cashier nicks your money.")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure